Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #15

The positive inverter cable should go to a 300 amp fuse, near by.
Move one cable there.

The grounds should be able to be moved or combined on a chassis bolt and nut.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #16

DANG, none of the batteries I have had and replaced do not. Once again I make a statement that is proven to be wrong!
gsdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #17

Battery Post

We have a 2010 DS. One of the barrety posts has 6 connections. We just had the batteries replaced by Tallahassee Trucking and RV Service. They used a military grade battery extension as shown in the photo. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	292103  
inspired2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
How about this:

Get a piece of copper pipe, maybe 1/2" dia to 3/4" dia, the thickest wall you can find, pound it flat, cut it in about 2" sections, drill and round off appropriately to use as a buss bar. Maybe use two of these, one on top of the other, for increased current carrying capacity, whatever fits on your battery lug. Connect one end to the battery and use an appropriate size bolt, nut, washers and lockwasher to connect the lugs that won't fit.

The copper in the pipe makes a very good conductor so you won't have any issues connecting your inverter through it. I'd protect the copper from corrosion by using your favorite battery terminal spray, grease or whatever.

Another idea would be to use post to bolt connectors on the posts of your new batteries to connect one of the wires.
I like this approach. Only improvement I'd suggest is to thin the copper w solder. When I cleaned my tray, replaced 8 GC battys some of my cable plugs were corroded enough that some of the running was gone. Pretty easy to clean up and re- tin. It looks like some of your lungs are tinned others not. With FLA battys corrosion will be more prevalent w bare copper.
Your wiring diagram is similar to mine and appreciate the issue once I saw your cables are 3/0.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #19

WOW. Not sure I'd be comfortable w 6 stacked terminals?!
I think I'd be using a good heavy duty buss bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired2rv View Post
We have a 2010 DS. One of the barrety posts has 6 connections. We just had the batteries replaced by Tallahassee Trucking and RV Service. They used a military grade battery extension as shown in the photo. So far so good.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Well, for closure on this, I used half inch copper pipe and flattened it out. Worked out fine. Everything is all nice and fresh now.

Pictures are prior to spraying the terminals with anti corrosion.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:24 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Looks Good
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:15 AM   #22

Nice job!
Much better than the all thread approach IMO
I'm filing this away in case I run into the same problem.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #23

Thanks to all for solutions and final pics! Will be doing this fix shortly (no pun intended)...
Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #24

Thanks Guys, did the 1/2” copper pipe tabs, clean solution IMHO.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	294234
Old 07-24-2020, 06:11 AM   #25

Batteries

Blue seas sell an adapter to put extra cables. It’s great we use on boats with the same battery setup
farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #26

Maybe its the angle of the view, but every terminal lug looks almost twice as think as the copper link.

That means that all three current carrying cables are drawing thru a thin copper link. I wonder how hot that link is getting under load.

I would use a thicker link or, at least, put the heaviest current carrying cable back directly on the battery stud with the link.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #27

Another way is to have a short cable made (6" ?)to go from the battery to the side where you can bolt all the cables together using whatever length of bolt you need. Be sure to have it end up in a place that can't short out to something OR use a piece of rubber hose slit to accommodate the cables and then fastened securely to avoid shorting.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Maybe its the angle of the view, but every terminal lug looks almost twice as think as the copper link.

That means that all three current carrying cables are drawing thru a thin copper link. I wonder how hot that link is getting under load.

I would use a thicker link or, at least, put the heaviest current carrying cable back directly on the battery stud with the link.

The photo does make new copper tab look thin. However, as rigged the only current running through the 1” copper tab is amps to and from the single battery. Loads running cable to cable are higher; to inverter, charger etc. Several ways to look at it... [emoji41]

Tags
battery