Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Factory Pick Up
Thanks. And you pay extra for that? Seems like you should get a deal... Save the transportation cost.
andrew.r.noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.r.noe View Post
Thanks. And you pay extra for that? Seems like you should get a deal... Save the transportation cost.
Would be nice, but no dice there. Firstly, Dealers pay transport, not Newmar. Some dealers, Steinbring I know, will discount their overhead for PDI and transport.

The reason you pay for it is because Newmar's techs are spending time with you 1:1 to go over your coach, doing more inspections, teaching you how to use everything, fixing any flaws you find. You don’t leave until you’re satisfied. As NealC mentioned, his FPU took 3 weeks. Few if any dealers would spend three weeks with you doing PDI. Though I might be wrong.
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
Issue:
Dealer #1, excellent service reputation, & delivery reputation, BUT, almost 700 miles away.

Dealer#2, questionable service reputation, price a bit less, and location is less than 50 miles away.

Dealer#3, good service reputation, priced between the other two, BUT almost 550 miles away.

Advice answer: What would you do??

Thanks for your input!

I'd purchase from #1.

I would feel that the Dealer #1 will do more to insure their reputation would remain intact. Unit would have a better final inspection before my acceptance, making trips back to the Dealership for warranty work less likely. And I'd rather hand my money to a honest person then a dishonest one.
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
..As NealC mentioned, his FPU took 3 weeks...
That was actually RedbaronLXXIII but I believe he also left his coach with Newmar and came back later to get it. Regardless, FPU you pay prior to first sight of your coach at your purchasing dealer then go to Newmar to do the FPU. Newmar won't let you have a bad coach, don't worry.

Mine was a week but even on Friday I had to get my steering wheel rotated as it wasn't centered. I left with zero known defects, returned twice the following year for warranty items, everything is great.

By the way Newmar calls FPU "CPU" as from their end it's Customer Pick Up.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #19

Since we were full-timers traveling the country we got bids on the exact same specials from 20 dealers around the country. We didn't care where we bought because the likelihood of returning probably wasn't happening. We went with the lowest price and never returned to the dealer. Of course, I think we really lucked out because we had no issues in 8 years - just maintenance.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

FPU is not just for first time RV'rs or those that cannot fix things themselves.
The reason I chose FPU, and highly recommend it to others, is simply because it is simply a very good option to get the coach delivered in 100% operational order in the most expedient way possible.

This resonated with me. We had never had any sort of RV so did the FPU as we knew nothing.

I almost think we would get more out of FPU for a second coach as now we would know better what to look for, and understand systems better to get more in-depth knowledge of how they work.

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase