Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

New Dometic A/C unit

Just finished up changing out my 15 year old A/C unit did the board conversion on the ground to use the original CCC thermostat. Wiring went well, but when it came to lining up the holes and bolting it down....nothing lined up. What a pain. We got it bolted down, and sealed up. But took much more time than I thought it should have. All the old holes are sealed up and gasket is pulled down as per instruction's. To bad the holes could not have matched up. But the bright side is we have a nice new unit and it is quite.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #2

Jim you did well.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptngym View Post
Just finished up changing out my 15 year old A/C unit did the board conversion on the ground to use the original CCC thermostat. Wiring went well, but when it came to lining up the holes and bolting it down....nothing lined up. What a pain. We got it bolted down, and sealed up. But took much more time than I thought it should have. All the old holes are sealed up and gasket is pulled down as per instruction's. To bad the holes could not have matched up. But the bright side is we have a nice new unit and it is quite.
Way to go !!

BTW, I found the gasket compression routine didn't work well for Newmar top mounting. Torque specs don't really apply since they were calculated for a conventional bottom mount airbox rather than lag bolts. I also found the "compress the gasket by half" to be too much and caused vibration. I wound up with "compress the gasket evenly (a little at a time at each corner) until the rear rubber blocks just touch the roof and remain touching when you slightly lift the unit at each corner". Basically, the big gasket is compressed about 1/4" - 3/8". In other words, don't overtighten or you'll twist the frame. I've replaced 3 units with this technique. This assumes use of genuine Dometic gaskets ... which are denser than generic (Camco) gaskets.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes I just changed both of mine and went with 15k heat pumps...and all but 1 old bolt were off...so sealed all but one in front and installed them anyway ...everything else went well and they work wonderfully !
I changed the t-Stat as well to the new one works fine and pretty much dropped in !

Great job just more work than expected !

Enjoy !
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

Our MH is in the shop now having the AC replaced. (2005 penguin ii heat pump, 15k). What should I tell the mechanic?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Our MH is in the shop now having the AC replaced. (2005 penguin ii heat pump, 15k). What should I tell the mechanic?
Should be routine on a Beaver .... the top mount bolts are only on a Newmar.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by owr View Post
Yes I just changed both of mine and went with 15k heat pumps...and all but 1 old bolt were off...so sealed all but one in front and installed them anyway ...everything else went well and they work wonderfully !
I changed the t-Stat as well to the new one works fine and pretty much dropped in !

Great job just more work than expected !

Enjoy !
Same here ... 3 out of 4 new holes. Luv the new thermostat with the feature to check the temp at each room sensor.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #8

If he has changed them before he already knows the original holes don't line up. My back one had been changed and who ever did it "made" some studs with a backing plate of some sort. Pushed them up from the bottom, I guess they could access it threw the 14 inch hole. They used that to bolt down the unit.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptngym View Post
If he has changed them before he already knows the original holes don't line up. My back one had been changed and who ever did it "made" some studs with a backing plate of some sort. Pushed them up from the bottom, I guess they could access it threw the 14 inch hole. They used that to bolt down the unit.
The 14" hole "should" be surrounded by a frame that is attached to the roof crossmembers. The A/C is lagged thru the roof skin and into this frame. It is not normally attached to the roof skin.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #10

Bruce, Thanks-ahhhh! (sigh of relief!)
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic