Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 01:58 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
The battery bay shown by newmarpusher's post above sure looks inviting for 8 Lifeline 400 AH GPL-L16Ts which would give 1600 AH of battery power and weigh about 960 pounds. That is enough weight to think about hanging them between the frame rails for weight balance and to have all that compartment space free for other stuff. Has anyne talked to the service dept. about them installing Lifelines in a custom location with 2 inverters in the days after your Newmar factory delivery?

If Newmar does not want the additional profit there is a place a block or two away on US 6 from Newmar's street and they do solar and inverters. I can imagine how much better an all electric coach would be with 2 inverters for 240 volts for the electric dryer and GE Advantium oven. Plus, 2 inverter/chargers could produce about 250 amps for recharging the battery bank in half the generator run time.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
For anyone with AGM's from the factory, remember to check the Magnum inverter/charger settings. I had to set the inverter to "AGM 2" since the factory and the dealer both left it set at the flooded setting. According to the Magnum manual, "AGM 1" is for Lifeline AGM's, all other AGM's use setting "AGM 2". Newmar uses Discovery brand AGM's.

Btw, I have the AGS and Energy Management options, so not sure if those settings are the same without those options.
Newmarpusher --

Many thanks for this reference -- very helpful to know.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Deek, very good suggestion. With Discover AGMs it is important to set the charger to AGM2. The standard "Flooded Cell" setting sets an "Equalization" voltage so high that if somebody accidentally starts that cycle, the batteries could fry. You can further optimize the charging parameters with the "Custom" battery setting, but set the Equalization voltage to the Absorption Charge voltage, not more then 14.5V.
by the way, Lifeline batteries should be set at AGM1,

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
First off, excuse my ignorance on this topic with regard to the RV industry.

Why are coach builders transitioning from wet cell to AGM and not adopting superior LithiumIon technology? They at lighter, more powerful, can withstand thousands of deep discharges and can be manufactured to virtually any dimensions.

As mentioned earlier, I would consider retro fitting under the chassis some where. Oh and did I mention, you can buy LithiumIon for around the same price as AGM now. I would say LithiumIon could even be considered "yesterday's" power solution. I am excited to see the advancement of fuel cell technology.

My two cents.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #19

If you spend some time digging into what it takes to switch the lithium ion, you will understand why it will be years before the industry changes.

The changer will come when somebody makes a battery pack vrs individual batteries.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramichi View Post
First off, excuse my ignorance on this topic with regard to the RV industry.

Why are coach builders transitioning from wet cell to AGM and not adopting superior LithiumIon technology? They at lighter, more powerful, can withstand thousands of deep discharges and can be manufactured to virtually any dimensions.

As mentioned earlier, I would consider retro fitting under the chassis some where. Oh and did I mention, you can buy LithiumIon for around the same price as AGM now. I would say LithiumIon could even be considered "yesterday's" power solution. I am excited to see the advancement of fuel cell technology.

My two cents.

Here is an interesting read on LIon in a coach:

http://www.aboutrving.com/category/l...ion-batteries/

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #21

We are also in the process of ordering a new 4369. The upgrade to AGM batteries is an absolute no-brainer for us. I need to find out what brand of AGM batteries they will install, as I am a big fan of Lifeline AGM batteries. Not sure if they will allow that much of a special, but I hope they do!

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #22
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
We are also in the process of ordering a new 4369. The upgrade to AGM batteries is an absolute no-brainer for us. I need to find out what brand of AGM batteries they will install, as I am a big fan of Lifeline AGM batteries. Not sure if they will allow that much of a special, but I hope they do!

Roy

Newmar uses Discover Energy brand AGM's. I've read here that others were unable to get them substituted with Lifelines.

Discover Energy is very big in solar applications. They are NOT inexpensive. I am a Lifeline fan as well but from all I've read, I expect similar performance from the Discover AGM's Newmar installed in our 2015 Ventana 4037.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #23

Thanks. We'll go with the Discover batteries then. Should be good.

Roy
Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #24

AGM is only an intermediate step

We have an all electric DS with 8 batteries. I recently swapped out the standard 2800 watt Magnum inverter for the newer Magnum 3000 Hybrid inverter and will be swapping out the batteries for single LithiumIon from AM Solar within the year.
The hybrid inverter has the ability to add to the shore power to give you more available power. Thus 30 amp shore power (a definite limitation) becomes 60 amp usable power (when the inverter kicks in its 30 amps). Other inverters only provide power when the shore power is off. This makes your inverter a much more useful device.
A single lithium battery unit of the capacity needed to replace 8 6 voters weights in at 112 pounds verses 67 per battery x 8 and in the space of about 2 6 volt batteries.
Although this battery currently costs $3200, it will never need to be replaced, never needs service, and will retain its full power for life. Just buying a second set of AGMs in a few years will offset this addition upfront cost.

My suggestion is to add solar, upgrade the inverter, and get the standard batteries. When those batteries give out, replace them with a single lithium replacement.

I am ¾ of the way through this process - if only the lead acid batteries would die I could finish the process. When all is said and done, lead acid batteries work well if well managed.

kw
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #25
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
New DSDP 4369 and upgrade to AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnavigator View Post
... When all is said and done, lead acid batteries work well if well managed.

kw

... And that is the key advantage of the AGM's, no "managing" required. I've got enough hobbies, taking care of batteries isn't one of them.

Also your battery compartment will never get rusty like it does from the out gassing, leaking and spilling that occurs with flooded batteries.

The LiO batteries look interesting. Curious, if a single lithium ion battery only takes up the space of two normal batteries, why not add more?

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #26

Ken, does the MSH3012M hybrid inverter require a different wiring scheme than the MS2812?

I wonder if Newmar would install the hybrid on a special instead of the 2812? If there is a significant installation difference, I doubt they would want to take it on. At some point, I believe the hybrid will be standard on the high line rigs, then it would wind up in the lower end coaches. But until that day comes, I'm not sure whether or not they would allow the swap.

Roy
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #27
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
Ken, does the MSH3012M hybrid inverter require a different wiring scheme than the MS2812?

I wonder if Newmar would install the hybrid on a special instead of the 2812? If there is a significant installation difference, I doubt they would want to take it on. At some point, I believe the hybrid will be standard on the high line rigs, then it would wind up in the lower end coaches. But until that day comes, I'm not sure whether or not they would allow the swap.

Roy

Also interested in the swap. Is is a direct plug and play replacement of the MSH3012M for the MS2812? Or is there more involved. Thx.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
The Precision Circuit Power Monitor supplied by Newmar will supplement the AC power required for short periods of time, such as using a microwave, by 1st reducing the charge rate. If that is not sufficient, it will turn on the inverter to assist.
With the standard inverter wiring, the supported equipment and outlets are wired to a sub panel, with its on main circuit breaker. High power appliances such as roof ACs, washing machines and dryers are not wired to the main panel. If you want to run the heavy loads with the hybrid inverter, you need to change the the wiring. If you want 30A support from your hybrid inverter from a 400AH battery lithium ion battery for long periods of time while plugged in to a 30A supply, when are you going to charge the batteries?

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade