Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Seeing you are now towing a Canyon, you must still feel confident in the truck itself. I am towing a 2018 Colorado.
Yes I am. I don't have any circuits intermingled. The lighting is totally on it's own and independent of the toad. Braking system is Air Force 1 system so it's air operated. Tows great.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #30

I use large metal safety pin. Off in a few seconds and secure.
yasbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Essex Burns up!

Been there, experienced that. NOT fun! Two years ago we had just started a trip to New England from Eugene, OR (all of about two miles worth) when our 2017 Jeep Patriot toad started smoking from the hood. Fellow travelers alerted us to the problem, so I pulled over. By the time I got off the highway, there were flames. I did my very best trying to unhook the toad, but the fact is that it takes too much time to unhook the safety cables, unplug the lights, unplug the air brake line, just so I could pull the pin and drive the MH away from the hitch. The linkages on the front of the toad were too close to the fire to even consider disconnecting there. A motorist had stopped to give aid. He was an off duty fireman and had already called the fire department. He had two fire extinguishers, and with the one I had, we dumped all three into the fire and it suppressed it for all of 10 seconds or so. It roared back. I just couldn't manage to pull the pin due to the heat. Fortunately, the fire department arrived and knocked it down before the coach caught. That being said, it toasted the rear end of our Tiffin Allegro Breeze. The fiberglass was blistered and cracked, and the tail light lenses were melted and dripping down the back of the rig.

The question was raised whether the emergency brake was left on, in the toad with the Essex. Same could be asked of mine. Emergency/parking brakes only lock up the rear wheels. The fire in my car was in the engine compartment. The insurance company never investigated the cause to my knowledge.

I guess the reason to write all this is to say that I am unsure if there is a safe way to QUICKLY unhook a burning toad. If it happens to us again...we'll just hit it with the fire extinguisher, and walk away to a safe spot.
tebeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #32

Buy a back pack and keep it within reach of the front seats when you travel. Keep meds, checkbook, a change of underwear and anything else that you need for two days in a motel.
It's not just in case of fire: tornado warnings, wildfires, etc. can mean you need to leave quickly. The people in the video appear to have only the clothes on their backs.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I think on the Blue Ox you could probably pull on the spring loaded locking inserts and then twist the tow bar arms to release unhook the cables at the coach and pull away not worried about the wiring cables. I may have to test this idea and see if it possible.