Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Kountry Star Owner

We just took delivery of our 2021 Kountry Star 3717. I'm not sure what I don't know! Any tips would be appreciated. What to be aware of with the air brakes & system, what about DEF, are just a few things I'm clueless about. The Kountry Star is a big upgrade from our Class C Forrester that we had for only a year. After 3 trips from NC to California and back decided we needed more space.
WFUDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 03:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Congratulations and welcome to the group. My first recommendation is to get real familiar with the search feature in this and other forums. I don't think there is a single topic that has not been discussed multiple times throughout the years.

We bought our 2020 Kountry Star after upgrading from a Class B. IRV2 has been my #1 source (by a 3x margin) to researching and understanding a lot of things that I did not know.

And you should create a signature line so when you have future posts people can see what you have without repeating it in the body of every post.
RVStitchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #3

Deacon, welcome to the forum.

If this is your first Diesel Pusher, it can seem a bit overwhelming with all the systems. It's almost impossible to answer your concerns without more specifics.

I would recommend two things:

1. Read ALL of your manuals that should have come with your motorhome. The Newmar coach ones as well as your chassis and engine and transmission books.

2. Browse and read all you can here. I have been RVing all my life and bought my first DP back in 2002. I still find out all kinds of new things every time I visit this site. I've avoided some costly failures by taking note of issues others have reported and taking preventive actions early.

If you have more specific issues, like what do you specifically want to know about DEF or the emissions systems then I'm sure there are many people here that can give you good specific information that will help you.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I'll work on the signature. There is a lot of info here for sure. I'll do some searches and hopefully find what I need.

As for the DEF, as long as the container says it meets the ISO22241 is there a difference. I don't want to try and save a few dollars per gallon and not get a quality product that may cause problems later.

This is first Diesel and first Pusher. I ahve a lot to learn!
WFUDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #5

Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar family.

First things first ; do you know if you're legal to drive the coach ; many states have air brake and/or weight limits on a standard drivers license, that your new coach could exceed .

Training and upgrade of your license maybe required.

Salesperson won't tell you these things .
Old 09-29-2021, 04:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFUDeacon View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll work on the signature. There is a lot of info here for sure. I'll do some searches and hopefully find what I need.

As for the DEF, as long as the container says it meets the ISO22241 is there a difference. I don't want to try and save a few dollars per gallon and not get a quality product that may cause problems later.

This is first Diesel and first Pusher. I ahve a lot to learn!
There are a number of posts that run multiple pages as people debate Blue Def, Walmart Def, Truck Stop Def. There are a lot of personal opinions in this area. Suggest you read through those so this post does not turn into another debate.
RVStitchy is online now   Reply With Quote