Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
New Nav System Needed

I have the Pioneer AVIC D2 nav system. The touch screen is messed up and I need to replace the system. Has anyone replaced this and with what? Can you still have the rear view and side view cameras operate the way they did with the Pioneer. Rear view split with nav screen. Side cameras come on when I use the turn signals.

I am on the road and need a fix immediately. My cameras are not working on the system due to the touch screen not functioning correctly.

I am considering using the new Alpine W900 but the techs at Best Buy won't know these answers until they try the install.

A fast response would be much appreciated.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You certainly have your work cut out for you looked at the Manual and trouble section pg #115 says to reset, for display panel problems but than you must have to reset all your settings. Also read that rear camera can cause display function problems also.
The link has installation spec also.
Whether all your camera's will work with another system may be a guess.
Maybe someone has your answer but it may be less expensive trying to resolve the Pioneer itself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #3

Big problem is that where I touch on the right side. It seems to actuate about an inch to the left. I checked the forums and this is a common problem. On mine it is so bad, that when I press the joystick and get the 3 choices, the setup button will not react no matter how far to the right I press. It always acts as if I pressed the Function button.

I tried recalibrating the screen, but it only made things worse. At this point a new gps will be installed with a rear view monitor. On their website, Newmar has switched to separate displays.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Unless you want a new rear camera the existing one will work. The camera output is a standard rca plug. I have issues where the connection at the back of the unit vibrates and I loose my camera and then hit a bump and it comes back. When we bought our coach we had them install the Z1. I would look for a unit that will fit the existing cut-out. In the meantime, you might try doing a hard reset of the unit and then try recalbrating the screen. Any car installers shoild be able to install a new unit. I am not a big fan of the Pioneer units but that is what Newmar used when we got our coaches. Pioneer units will not let you alter your destination unless you have the service brake on. Newmar started using Kenwood unit in 2009. Kenwood uses Garmin for there GPS system.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Are you able to get a split screen showing both the rear view AND gps at the same time? Or do you have a seperate monitor for the rear view?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't spend a dime on anything that has Pioneer wrote on it. Use it for the camera and get a Garmin for GPS. They don't even make a upgrade map for the piece of crap in my Essex.

You can disconnect the RCA jacks for cameras and run them to your overhead TV or a laptop with a video card
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I thought about several different options. Out 04 had an passenger monitor so Pam could see behind us. Newmar said they could not do that on the 07. After taking the dash apart I found out it would be easy to do. The signal can be split BEFORE that Pioneer. There are several ways to do this. I splt the camera feed and run it to fron tv and/or a passenger monitor. What I am planning on doing (I need to research) is to bypass the camera switch and add a second monitor and split screen all 3 cameras to the screen and leaved the Pioneer for nav only. We have a friend with a Mountain Aire that does that. I don't like having to hit he switch or turn signal to see the side cameras.

With the exception of Sony products, I am disappointed wth Newmar's choice of Pioneer products. Pioneer has never been know for a superior product and with what we paid for these coaches they should use top of the line electroniics. In Newmar's defense there wre no alot of nav systems/radios to choose from in 2007.

If you go the replacement route consider replacing the speakers, they on either side of the overhead console behind the grills. You can pull the grills off to get to the speakers. They also fall into the category of an inferior product. There should be 2 speakers on each side, one is for the dash radio and the other is for the entainment surround sound. They use the same speaker for each.

With all that said I like my Pioneer Z1. The first 2007 Essex I saw had the Z1. When Newmar went into production it replaced it with another Pioneer product. When We ordered out Essex I requested the Z1. As far as I know there is only 3 or 4 Essex with the Z1. THe maps are stored on the 30 gig hard drive with 10 gigs reserved for for music. I would like an option for straight camera with no map screen.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote