Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #43

This is the recall letter, I think. Seems straight forward what can be done, so why is the dealer holding it hostage??
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V202-1385.pdf

MOTORHOME OWNERS: If you have questions or concerns, please contact our
Motorhome Customer Assistance Center toll free at 1-866-906-9811.
Representatives are available 24 hours a day.
If you are still having difficulty getting your vehicle repaired in a reasonable time
or without charge, you may write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or
call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236
(TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to safercar.gov. Reference NHTSA Safety Recall
21V202.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlanDave View Post
Your story sounds identical to ours, although ours is a Jayco Alante. The Ford dealer did not keep our RV, they did not have room for it. We still have it in storage, but are not comfortable using it. We were told a few weeks ago that our parts would be in on June 24. They were not, and no one can say when they will be in. My wife and I have had a 7 weeks trip through the west starting in late August planned for months and have booked sites and paid deposits, and now seriously doubt that we will be able to go.

Not in a happy place.
Top off the gear lube and send it. Ford says you’re ok to drive while waiting on parts. If the rear end blows up Ford will pay for the tow and Ford will pay for the new rear end. Just go use your RV
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:31 AM   #45

Update - Aug 8. Still waiting to get my RV back from Ford, now into the 2nd month. They are waiting for parts, specifically one of the bearings (qty 2). Tired Newmar and they couldn’t get the part, nor could their local Ford contact. Summer is completely shot. I ordered this coach in 2020, got it in March and had planned on a summer of traveling the US. I get all the “causes” from pandemic and supply chain shortages to the complexities of Newmar’s suppliers including Ford. That said, at the end of the day, it is Newmar’s responsibility. Ford is their supplier. I am Newmar’s customer. Newmar - you need to step up and make this right for your gas coach customers impacted by this recall. Especially those that were given delivery of their new RVs after Ford issued the stop delivery order.
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #46

Purchased a 2021 Bay Star 3014 on 5/21/21. Had it for 60 days when the engine blew up while driving on the interstate. Odometer had 1,776 miles on it. I mean really blew up. Loud noise, followed by smoke and oil spewing out, hole in the oil pan, we gathered what appears to be piston parts from the oil spray. Ford Roadside Assistance towed it to a dealership in Memphis where it still sits outside. Nothing has been done for over 4 weeks now, and I don't even have a date as to when it will be brought in for teardown. Beyond frustrating. Newmar customer service has been great and they continue to check in with me. Ford, on the other hand, has been awful. I've been assigned a "Ford Pro" after the case was escalated from the dealership, but that was over a week ago, and yet still no progress. Unbelievable. So, my brand new 2021 Bay Star is out of service for the summer too.
robin d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
Geez, that's horrible and sorry to hear you are going through that. Hopefully, they can get a new engine installed quickly for you. Probably a bad time to ask but how has the driving experience been with respect to less than perfect roads and expansion joints?
Old 08-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #48

Driving experience was A LOT better than our previous RV, which was a 2017 Thor Axis. In fact, we absolutely loved the Bay Star until the engine blew up. Hopefully Ford will get it repaired soon, although I'm not holding my breath. Tomorrow will be 30 days that it has been out of service. Wonder if it would help if I sent Ford a letter asking them to provide me with a replacement or a refund?
Old 08-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #49

Update - Finally got our 2021 Bay Star 3626 back from Ford after being there since June! (It is now Aug 24).
aeroquality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
Update - Finally got our 2021 Bay Star 3626 back from Ford after being there since June! (It is now Aug 24).
Hope things are turning for the better!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #51

I've been advised that our RV was finally moved into the service bay for diagnosis yesterday.....34 days after it was towed to the dealership. I understand dealerships are busy, but nearly 5 weeks before it is even looked at? That seems unreasonable to me. I think Ford really needs to increase the number of dealerships that have the ability to service and provide warranty work on these RVs.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #52
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin d View Post
I've been advised that our RV was finally moved into the service bay for diagnosis yesterday.....34 days after it was towed to the dealership. I understand dealerships are busy, but nearly 5 weeks before it is even looked at? That seems unreasonable to me. I think Ford really needs to increase the number of dealerships that have the ability to service and provide warranty work on these RVs.
Diagnosis? From your description it seems pretty clear cut what needs to be done. Remove and replace engine. They should have ordered a new engine the day your rig arrived on the lot.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #53

New Newmar 2021 Bay Star - Out of Service this Summer

I’m sorry to sound like a downer, but five weeks seems about right. I’m in the Phoenix area and that’s what my Ford dealer that services RVs commonly quotes. In the winter, with all the extra snowbirds in town, it’s much longer to get anything done.

La Mesa RV was even worse. Twice they made me bring my RV to them and had it sit on the lot, in the sun for +30 days before they would even look at it to order parts. They told me if it’s not on the lot, it’s not in line. After parts were ordered, back to the lot to sit again until all parts we’re accounted for. Then it gets into a line to get into a bay. Once in the bay it stayed there until all repairs were done. Their shop, their system, their rules.

All of you suggesting that you should just drive up and be taken care of in a reasonable time, should open your own shops and practice that, I will be a customer of your business.
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroquality View Post
Update - Aug 8. Still waiting to get my RV back from Ford, now into the 2nd month. They are waiting for parts, specifically one of the bearings (qty 2). Tired Newmar and they couldn’t get the part, nor could their local Ford contact. Summer is completely shot. I ordered this coach in 2020, got it in March and had planned on a summer of traveling the US. I get all the “causes” from pandemic and supply chain shortages to the complexities of Newmar’s suppliers including Ford. That said, at the end of the day, it is Newmar’s responsibility. Ford is their supplier. I am Newmar’s customer. Newmar - you need to step up and make this right for your gas coach customers impacted by this recall. Especially those that were given delivery of their new RVs after Ford issued the stop delivery order.
We are in the same boat They drove ours 1100 miles to NIRVC in Lewisville and delivered it to knowing it was under a recall. Ours was at NIRVC for 12 weeks repairing warranty work After delivery on April 29th including needing the front Cap repainted then NIRVC sent it to Sam Pack Ford where it has sat somewhere outside waiting to be looked at. Called Newmar asked about extending our warranty they told me I couldn't make that request till after the 1 year warranty. How convenient for them.
yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star, newmar, service