RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question New Newmar + Freightliner - Road Ahead?

Now that I have my new Ventana with Freightliner, I'm curious what the suggested road ahead is for the first year regarding warranties and training. I've heard about people going to Gaffny (Freightliner), people going back to Newmar at 6 months and/or 12 months. To ensure I get the most out of my warranties and also any recommended education/courses, what is the suggested road ahead for year 1?

I'm still working through the mountain of manuals and obviously only so much of that can be retained. There's a lot to learn. I want to make sure I don't get a year from now and talk to someone and go "Oh, I didn't know I could do that" and it's too late. I want to learn and also get my money's worth in servicing and optimizing my coach.

Thanks

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #2

I will tag along with this post - we just picked our Ventana LE 4037 up two weeks ago at our dealer. Loved reading your report on the factory pick up. Don't want to miss any opportunities in the first year either before the warranty expires.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
The Newmar Rally is always a good concentration of info.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Neal,
When we picked up our LADP @ factory, we made two additional warranty visits. One was in June, which we canceled because we had no serious issues and one in Sept when we come back from our summer travels. We will make an additional warranty appointment for next April for our 1 year fix.

On our way back from Nappanee, we had a slight shimmy @ 63-65 MPH. We called Pat @ Gaffney to get in there to have alignment, tire balance, and run out checked. While there I went ahead and had a 12 month service completed prior to going to Canada this summer. She did not have an appointment time available so she put me on a wait list for an appointment. She called 3 weeks later and asked if I could be there the next week, appointment taken.

As far as Camp Freightliner goes, I have been several times with different coaches. Mike Cody shapes the class around your chassis and makes the class very informative. If this is your first diesel pusher, I bet you have lots of questions. I would still suggest you wait until you have maybe 6 months in the coach before you go to class. After 6 months you will know what you don't know and you will know what you think you know. The class will be less confusing when you attend. You will have to preplan your schedule because class fills up quickly. Another advantage is there is a labor cut during winter months. In addition, if you join FCOC you get a discount on your bill.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
A few thoughts to help only

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Now that I have my new Ventana with Freightliner, I'm curious what the suggested road ahead is for the first year regarding warranties and training. I've heard about people going to Gaffny (Freightliner), people going back to Newmar at 6 months and/or 12 months. To ensure I get the most out of my warranties and also any recommended education/courses, what is the suggested road ahead for year 1?

I'm still working through the mountain of manuals and obviously only so much of that can be retained. There's a lot to learn. I want to make sure I don't get a year from now and talk to someone and go "Oh, I didn't know I could do that" and it's too late. I want to learn and also get my money's worth in servicing and optimizing my coach.

Thanks
Neal,
You are coming aboard with great zest and passion for new ownership, and I am appreciative of that. Asking questions and looking ahead to ownership is key. The other thing worth mentioning, is get in every nook and cranny of your coach and put wrenches, screwdrivers exc.. and look at most everything before and after warranty. Preventive maintenance just like on your aircraft will save you some big bucks.
Fluid analysis at Blackstone Labs for Trans, Engine, Generator Engine to name the more common are a technique to get around time requirements. Learn your filters: Air Filter, Fuel Filters: Two for engine - one for Oasis, and 1 fuel and 1 air for generator, Transmission X 2 filters, DEF X 1, and several others depending on your coach. Stay ahead and buy fuel filters now and the two belts for possible engine emergencies, do not forget the generator and Oasis for filters as well. Oasis kits for maintenance 1,3, and 5 years are sold by Oasis.
I just scratched the surface, the only other big issue to keep monitoring, is the wall slides. If you keep your motor bolts tightened, I would recommend quarterly, you will save yourself a critical failure sooner. Manufacture now recommends LocTite for the bolts, my one bedroom slide motor cost $594.00, and I truly believe that could of been prevented had I known about tightening bolts.
This site has proven invaluable for tips, information and even modifications to make the coach perform better or more efficient.

Like I said earlier, I just scratched mechanical operational issues, learning how to use your HVACs, Oasis, electrical system, slide operations, leveling system, State of charge for batteries, black and grey water, Air system for chassis and brakes to name other things I found to learn quickly were a huge benefit. I know I haven't mention all important learning points but that is the point even after two years I am still learning, just not as vertical as when I started.

Good luck brother!
Old 06-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

Neal, and Sam the lucky dog-
First of all, weigh your coach. If not 4 corner weights, then at least axle weights. Then go to your tire manufacturers tire inflation tables and follow the recommendations. Since I only have truck stop axle weights, I add 5# to the recommendations for added safety.
At 6 months, I heartily recommend a visit to Gaffney for your first service. They will take excellent care of your new coach. You will feel confident and welcome. They do have electric service overnight sites with water and dump available.
As mentioned earlier, I also recommend membership in Freightliner Chassis Owners Club. Not only for discounts at Gaffney and some other Freightliner dealers but also for their friendly, informative rallies and nice quarterly magazine. The rallies are well attended and receive excellent support by the Freightliner people.
Swing wide on the corners and use your engine brake! Have fun! The adventures are endless!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:12 AM   #7
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post

Thanks
As a new owner also, the one warranty surprise for me was that the Freightliner 6 month service is not from date of delivery, but from the date the chassis was built. I have only had the coach for two months & the 6 month service is due next month!
Old 06-13-2017, 02:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
As a new owner also, the one warranty surprise for me was that the Freightliner 6 month service is not from date of delivery, but from the date the chassis was built. I have only had the coach for two months & the 6 month service is due next month!
I had the same concern, but when I spoke to Pat (at Freightliner) she told me to wait till I got to my 1 year period and have it serviced at that point. I bought mine in Feb and 6 month service was due in April.

We are going to CF and having 1 year service done in Sep. My chassis build date is Oct 2016 and Pat said we should be fine.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I had the same concern, but when I spoke to Pat (at Freightliner) she told me to wait till I got to my 1 year period and have it serviced at that point. I bought mine in Feb and 6 month service was due in April.

We are going to CF and having 1 year service done in Sep. My chassis build date is Oct 2016 and Pat said we should be fine.
I would be cautious about postponing the 6 month service due to possible future warranty claims, especially if you have an extended service plan. If you don't have the service done and you have a claim in the future, they could possibly reject the claim due to the fact you did not follow manufacturers documented prescribed scheduled maintenance.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had my coach serviced at 6 months. At this time I had the 1 year service done rather than 6 months service. The difference is the 6 month service does not include oil change or fuel filters. My next service will now be in one year.

I also asked for a wheel alignment which is not listed in the service. They found my alignment a little off and made the adjustment.

Paul
2017 Dutch Star 4018

ptw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, newmar