Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New Newmar Owner ???

Is there any way to turn off the beep when I use the turn signal on coach??

I see on the on the dash there is a section for generator Hours but it says zero. Should this not reflect the actual hours on the generator??
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
On our 2002 MADP i located the device that produced the beep and placed a small amount of electrical tape over the sound hole to get just the right amount of sound for me. the older I get I'll probably have to adjust the tape.
SteveR161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #3

My coach turn signal sound turns off if you are stopped with your foot on the brake after about 30 seconds. It turns back on when you lift your foot off the brake.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question 1. Not that I'm aware of. Just like your car, move it back to center position if it doesn't do it on it's own because the steering didn't go far enough. (We've all been behind vehicles that go miles & miles with turn signals flashing. Maddening!)

Question 2. Don't confuse house generator, which provides 120 VAC, with alternator, which charges your chassis battery with 12 VDC and probably your house batteries (either 12 or 6 VDC), when engine is running. The generator hour meter tells you how many hours it has run, which tells you when to change the oil in the generator. You should start & run the generator once a month or so to exercise it. Check oil level in generator, add some if needed, then start it. After starting, put a load on it (like turning on house air conditioning) and let it run for 15-30 minutes.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post
Is there any way to turn off the beep when I use the turn signal on coach??

I see on the on the dash there is a section for generator Hours but it says zero. Should this not reflect the actual hours on the generator??
troyrice76
I suppose there is a way stop it from "beeping", (like cutting a wire or filling the beeper with epoxy) but there is no switch to do so.

You are correct......the "generator hour meter" should display the total hours that the generator has operated .... (much like the "odometer" displays the total miles the coach has been driven).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #6

I just stuffed my beeper with foam to make it more tolerable.

The genny hour meter on the dash display is not hooked up. It would take some research to figure out how to do it.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post

Yes. Have you run the generator? If not then that's why it shows zero hours.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #8

I asked Freightliner and Newmar about the generator hour gage on the dash and both said they are not connected, you will have to look at the gage on the generator.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
That is the resolution I came to as well.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
I asked Freightliner and Newmar about the generator hour gage on the dash and both said they are not connected, you will have to look at the gage on the generator.

Since Newmar put a generator hour gauge on the dash of Troyrice76's coach....and forgot to connect it.... I would think that he is entitled to "free coach completion", (at Newmar's expense).

Does Newmar often neglect to connect things?
Wondering.

Mel
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Since Newmar put a generator hour gauge on the dash of Troyrice76's coach....and forgot to connect it.... I would think that he is entitled to "free coach completion", (at Newmar's expense).

Does Newmar often neglect to connect things?
Wondering.

Mel
I had the same generator issue with my new Ventana and took the coach to the dealership to get it repaired. Dealership was informed by Newmar that even though generator hours is part of the Freightliner multi display bar on the dash, that information is not wired through from the generator. So, it's not that they forgot to connect it, it just isn't part of Newmar's integration of the chassis to coach. I found it hard to believe they wouldn't make that information available if there is the possibility to wire it through to the dash display.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
I had the same generator issue with my new Ventana and took the coach to the dealership to get it repaired. Dealership was informed by Newmar that even though generator hours is part of the Freightliner multi display bar on the dash, that information is not wired through from the generator. So, it's not that they forgot to connect it, it just isn't part of Newmar's integration of the chassis to coach. I found it hard to believe they wouldn't make that information available if there is the possibility to wire it through to the dash display.
SWag
That is strange indeed, (especial for a quality coach builder like Newmar).
BTW, although my old coach doesn't have all the "whiz-bang electronics" of today's modern coaches, SMC did manage to connect everything when they built my coach in '96.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #13

I don't have an hour meter display on my dash at all. As a result, I have to actually open the generator access door once in a while, take a look around, maybe check hydraulic fluid level, washer fluid level, generator oil level, coolant level and just give things a general eyeball scan and while I'm at it, low and behold, there is the generator hour meter also.

Pain in the butt I know, but I get by.

Tags
newmar