Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #1

New Newmar Owner

I recently bought a 37', 1997 Mountain Aire and have an issue/question.

Is the fuel level sender accessible without removing the entire tank?

I drove it home from Houston to Colorado Springs last week, and she seems to only have a few issues.
1. Isolator relay/contactor has failed so it doesn't charge the house batteries from the alternator. New $37 relay on the way.

2. Someone has done some creative wiring: steps are wired direct to power, so they always extend/retract, courtesy light by the entry door is always on, passenger side mid/rear exterior light is always on when the house batteries are connected (driver side mid/rear exterior light is not lit, nor is the exterior entry door light, but I haven't checked the lamps yet).

3. Fluorescent fixture in bathroom non-functional.

4. Vent fan in bathroom non-functional.

5. Day/night shade behind couch needs to be restrung.

6. Fuel gauge potentially non-functional. The other three monitoring gauges work fine after reconnecting the cluster harness, but I haven't seen movement from the fuel gauge. She's low on fuel right now, so it may just be reflecting that, but I'd like to check it anyways.

She had several burned out fuses, so no CB or cruise control driving home , and the harness for the engine monitoring (temp, oil pressure, etc) was disconnected . Since the dealership didn't have it on shore power, the house batteries were dead, so no stereo on the drive home either. .

She'll be getting a good cleaning this week, as well as diagnostics on all the electrical issues. She'll be getting new serpentine belts and tensioner once they're delivered, as well as an oil change, new air filter, and front end/driveshaft lube. The headlight lenses will also be reconditioned this week.

She now has just over 47,000 miles, runs and drives very well. Considering the condition and only minor issues to deal with, I think at $15k it was a great buy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! Very nice.

It is certainly worth a small investment for one that is in such good shape. Congratulations.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Stay patient and give it the love and she will return many good years back to you. Bring a coach up to working order to me only is great. Working the bugs out of it, gets you all over the coach and you really do get to understand and appreciate what capabilities your coach provides.

Good luck brother, I like the pictures!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my coach and, I think, on most Newmars, you can access the fuel sender from a Storage Bay on the passenger's side near the front. There should be an access port on the back of the bay.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

Sounds like your coach found a great home. Congratulations!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 429CV23,
mikelm48's post has the access answer. It is the first bay on the curb side of the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the Newmar family. Hope you get all your issues resolved.
Regarding your window shades I have a link that shows you how to do it easily and correctly.

RV Geeks Videos: Window blinds

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

Congrats, have many safe and happy travels.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Good luck and congratulations
Old 03-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nice looking coach!
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
HI 429CV23.
Congratulations on the new coach. That is a very nice model. Last year I also purchased a 37' '97 Mountain Aire which could be a twin to yours.
The fuel sender I think you are referring to is in the tank and comes out with the fuel pump. If you are replacing the sender, replace the pump at the same time. Unfortunately the tank must be lowered first, there is no access. I changed my fuel pump last year. There are several threads covering this over in the Ford Chassis forum. For me, the most difficult part was separating and later reattaching the filler hose at the tank because it goes through the frame at that point.
Good luck with the new addition.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! Very nice. Congrats!!!
lionofjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #13

Congratulations on the "new" purchase.
As far as the steps working all the time, I think this is normal. On my previous '99 DS and on my current '04 DS they work even when the coach batteries have the Battery Disconnect set to "Store" and the chassis batteries switched to "Off". That shouldn't be a problem since there is no current drain except when the steps are extended or retracted.
Replace the bathroom vent fan with a "Vortex Replacement Vent Fan" available online (Amazon) or at Camping World. Works much like the Fantastic fan, but cheaper, and is MUCH better than the original fan. You can get it in single or multiple speed and reverse flow. Easy to install.
I can send you a PDF file explaining how to restring the shades if you want. There are also several videos on U-tube.
Enjoy the "fixin' up".
Old 03-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canampaul View Post
HI 429CV23.
Congratulations on the new coach. That is a very nice model. Last year I also purchased a 37' '97 Mountain Aire which could be a twin to yours.
The fuel sender I think you are referring to is in the tank and comes out with the fuel pump. If you are replacing the sender, replace the pump at the same time. Unfortunately the tank must be lowered first, there is no access. I changed my fuel pump last year. There are several threads covering this over in the Ford Chassis forum. For me, the most difficult part was separating and later reattaching the filler hose at the tank because it goes through the frame at that point.
Good luck with the new addition.
Thanks for the info on the fuel tank access. I'll wait for warmer weather to replace the entire fuel pump assy, no sense in going to all that work for just the gauge sending unit. It looks like it won't be too bad a job to lower it, assuming I run her nearly out of gas.

Tags
newmar