RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #1

New Owner Heat/AC Question

Hello, my apologies for the newbee question I canít seem to find the answer anywhere Iíve searched. I just took delivery of a new Mountain Aire and we are getting ready to head to a campground tomorrow. While testing the Climate options of the coach, I only seem to be able to get the roof fans and heating to work if the generator is running. When is not running, no air comes out of the vents. Is the generator required to be running all the time for the roof fans to start blowing air and the heat and or AC to work? When I connect to shore, does the generator still need to run to blow hot air out of the vents?
Again apologies for the newbee question but just trying to be safe and plan accordingly.
Acosspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #2

Your ACs will only run on sufficient shore or gen power. They will not run off of your inverter.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:14 PM   #3

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acosspr View Post
Hello, my apologies for the newbee question I canít seem to find the answer anywhere Iíve searched. I just took delivery of a new Mountain Aire and we are getting ready to head to a campground tomorrow. While testing the Climate options of the coach, I only seem to be able to get the roof fans and heating to work if the generator is running. When is not running, no air comes out of the vents. Is the generator required to be running all the time for the roof fans to start blowing air and the heat and or AC to work? When I connect to shore, does the generator still need to run to blow hot air out of the vents?
Again apologies for the newbee question but just trying to be safe and plan accordingly.
If needing heat in the coach you can set the temperature and run the Oasis burner without needing to run generator or shore power.

As previously stated no AC/heat pumps on inverter.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

Welcome aboard.
Congratulations on your new coach.
Wish you many happy miles
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is your coach equipped with Oasis?

The engine coolant is looped thru the Oasis distribution unit. It heats the transfer fluid thru a heat exchanger. The furnace part of your HVAC system can use this heat to warm the zones you select while driving, even if only 12vdc is available. I live in Florida...so if the engine heat proves insufficient where you are...as Bill stated, fire up the diesel burner for the Oasis and that is sure to get you toasty warm.

Switching to the rooftop Dometic Heat Pumps requires both 12vdc and 120vac power supplied to the main bus. In other words...from the transfer switch powered by either Generator or Shore Power. There are a number of 120vac circuits which still work while driving and the generator off...but they are doing it by 120vac power supplied from your inverter.

All of the fantastic fans use 12vdc to power them...so ventilation is possible using those, but best to have vent covers over them to help exclude rain.

The dash air conditioning and heating works just like a car. Hot engine coolant thru a heater core for heat...an engine driven compressor for cooling thru an evaporator/condenser core combination. They require the engine operation and 12vdc power.

No need to apologize here...you are among friends. Congratulations on your coach!
Old 10-31-2020, 07:29 PM   #7

Thank you so much everyone! Getting ready for our first trip tomorrow. BtW, forgot to mention, never been camping, nor in an RV and never driven one until I took delivery of this coach! (I guess Covid had something to do with our decision to jump in all in) Good 100 mile practice drive bringing it home this week. Looking forward to this new adventure and vacations without the airport drama. Our way and at our own pace. Thank you all for the assist.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:15 PM   #8

Pictures of your Coach would be fun to see when you can.. Be careful and enjoy!!
Nellybelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:14 PM   #9

Sounds good. Pictures tomorrow morning before leaving and after setup at campsite
Wish us luck folks!
Old 10-31-2020, 09:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2 and the world of glamping!

I love your spirit of adventure. Let us know how it goes.

Keep warm.

RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does anybody know how to get the front dash floor oasis fan to come on when the oasis burner is on. I can’t seem to get the oasis front floor fan to come on. We have a 2019 New Aire. Thanks for your assistance
bds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bds1 View Post
Does anybody know how to get the front dash floor oasis fan to come on when the oasis burner is on. I can’t seem to get the oasis front floor fan to come on. We have a 2019 New Aire. Thanks for your assistance
It is coupled to a zone.

In our rig...there are two “extra” sub zone switches. The dash, and the half-bath. When you turn them ON...they activate fans along with the zone they are wired to. So, you have to set the thermostat to furnace and have a temperature selected to activate heating in that zone.

If that doesn’t take care of it...I would call Newmar’s New Aire experts. Maybe a different configuration for yours...or a loose wire. Took me a couple of years to figure out that nobody had connected the wires to the back of my mirror heat switch...
Old 11-01-2020, 05:17 AM   #13

There should be a switch by the other Hydro Hot switches labeled "front fan" with high, off, and low positions.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bds1 View Post
This is what my memory is telling me...
  1. Oasis must be turned on.
  2. Thermostat must be turned on to furnace setting - not heat pump.
    Setting on thermostat must be high enough to activate furnace.
  3. On the center front dash, there is a switch with positions for high, off, and low. Set it to high or low.

You have different rig than I do but hopefully, there similar enough that this suggestion will work.

RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, new owner