Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
New purchase Dutch Star

Hi All,

New to it all and never owned a coach before. Decided to go with Newmar for too many reasons to list. Have just closed a deal on a 2009 Dutch Star 4386 with 21k miles and I will be going to inspect it in the next couple of weeks.

Seeing as my deal is contingent on my inspection and approval, I was wondering if there are any recommendations of anything in particular I should be looking at or testing a certain way.

Certainly I will do the expected, check tires (which are original and may need replacing in next little while) lubricant levels and condition, start everything up , run it and take it for a drive. The owner does have all paperwork related to the unit and it has been serviced at only Spartan and or Newmar approved facilities.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #2

I think the best way to approach this is to put some search terms into the tiny box up towards the right. There are also articles and checklists available on the web, some for free and some you can purchase. Also the use of professionals.

Best of luck. There is a lot to do should you dig deep.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2 Steph & Eden.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Here is PDI check list for new coach and this one for used coach.
If tires have been parked on something to separate tires from ground surface or man made surface they maybe OK if no cracks on tire sidewalls Michelin says you should get 10 years of use.
For added information in my signature below are links to many others that will relate to the Newmar coach.
Good luck with the PDI maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:09 AM   #4

Welcome!
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:01 AM   #5

new coach

the inspection checklist above is thorough, I add that running the AC and heater for a good period of time is needed. I would recommend more than 15 minutes of each to ensure they don't fail after startup. Be confident they heat/cool to support you. (I had a heater that would run 1-2 minutes and then trip).
Look close at tire date code, replace based on age and sitting (low miles coach), may have some flat spots, etc.
Gary
Old 01-13-2015, 05:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Try getting the VIN, then you can talk to Newmar and see if there's any history for the coach.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I just went through a similar situation while purchasing our 2007 MADP. You have come to the right place to seek advice. I did the same and here are a few major points I took from everything.

I test drove the unit and with the oil still warm, I took oil samples of the Cummins, Allison, and Onan. It is very simple to do so or you can have it done. It will only show if there is an impending failure or abnormal levels of contaminants.

One of the other big ticket items, if your rig has one, is the hydronic heating system. Roger Berke at RV Hydronic Heating Forum offered this information for my Hydro Hot, but would probably be similar to other brands such as Oasis. I would check with him on you specific model.

Quote:
Scott

Great question!

You want to check the unit very carefully for coolant leaks. Some coolant leaks are repairable and some are not. You want to bring the unit to operating temperature to verify that there are no coolant leaks. Sometimes heaters will not leak when cold, but leak coolant when they are at operating temperature. If the coolant leak is not in an spot that can be repaired, this is a catastrophic failure and will require replacement of heater.

Turn on the water pump / connect to shore water. If the Hydro-Hot has been frozen, then the fresh water will leak into the boiler coolant and overflow into the expansion tank. This is a catastrophic failure and will require replacement of heater.

Replacement of Hydro-Hot will be with a brand new model 450-DE4. By the time you are done, this will be somewhere north of $10K.

Try to light the diesel. If unit is not been in operation for awhile, it normally will not light. Could be as simple as needing routine service or major repairs. Rebuilt burner is here: http://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterrep...basto-x492.htm Check for diesel fuel leaks. Even if burner will not light, listen to the motor in the Webasto. Should run 2-3 minutes after it faults, then shut down cleanly. The operation of the burner is controlled by the silver box, which is very expensive.

Turn on the electric side of the Hydro-Hot. You should see a major energy draw (element draws 12.6 amps) on the coach energy management system or if connected to electric meter a surge in electrical usage. If no shore power is available, then start the generator. On most coaches you will hear the generator load when you turn on the electric element. If electric element is non-operational budget $600+ for worst case scenario for repairs (failed control board).

Once you get unit to operating tempature, run each interior heating zone - one at a time to verify that there is heat in that zone.

If you are not able to properly and thoroughly test unit, then either get a iron clad warranty (10K in escrow account) or assume that the heater needs to be replaced.

You will really love your Aqua-Hot and your new coach. Quite wonderful!

- Roger -
BTW, the amp draw on the electric element was precisely 12.6 amps as he predicted.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Brilliant Scottybdivim!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2378572]Welcome to the forum and irv2 Steph & Eden.
Here is a [B][URL="https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/2009dsdpb.pdf
Brochure[/URL][/B] and Owners Guide for you.
Here is PDI check list for new coach and this one for used coach.
If tires have been parked on something to separate tires from ground surface or man made surface they maybe OK if no cracks on tire sidewalls Michelin says you should get 10 years of use.
For added information in my signature below are links to many others that will relate to the Newmar coach.
Good luck with the PDI maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
I forgot to thank you for the great info
Miramichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, purchase