Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New recall FL762A Power steering hose route

Just got this in the mail today from Daimler Trucks. Recall FL762A, NHTSA #18-163 for the power steering hose routed over the starter stud. My 2016 Ventana was not include in the earlier RSB 467 RECALL 16V 826. Just checked and the power steering hose is not routed close to the starter. However a fuel line from the filter is pulled tight across the fuel filter and then tight over the body of the starter. This will have to be a longer hose and rerouted. Checked for chaffing and none exist on the fuel line as surfaces are smooth/round. Thinking about adding a plastic electrical wire sleeve over the fuel line until I can get it in for service.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, got the same recall. Have an appointment with Freigtliner next Tuesday. I was told it would take about two hours to complete.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Got mine today....will have to crawl under and check.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #4

power steering recall

Took mine to FL today. According to dealer, FL estimates only 1% of the hoses will require replacement. I'm in the 1%. The tech showed me where the line chaffed to the extent that the wire braid under the outer cover was arcing against the stud. Line on order. Have appointment for Monday. Have to empty the passenger side basement so they will have access to the frame rail. May have to drop the fuel tank. Warranty guideline states it is a 5.5 hour job but the service adviser said it may take more than a day and I should make plans to stay somewhere just in case.
Sending low volts, high amps throughout the coach cannot be a good thing.
I'll get a copy of the picture the tech took and post it. He wrapped it up and zip tied it so it would stay clear of the stud.
I mentioned the hose looked excessively long. Tech said "No comment"
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Got mine too. Calling FL in the morning for an appointment.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webz View Post
Took mine to FL today. According to dealer, FL estimates only 1% of the hoses will require replacement. I'm in the 1%. The tech showed me where the line chaffed to the extent that the wire braid under the outer cover was arcing against the stud. Line on order. Have appointment for Monday. Have to empty the passenger side basement so they will have access to the frame rail. May have to drop the fuel tank. Warranty guideline states it is a 5.5 hour job but the service adviser said it may take more than a day and I should make plans to stay somewhere just in case.
Sending low volts, high amps throughout the coach cannot be a good thing.
I'll get a copy of the picture the tech took and post it. He wrapped it up and zip tied it so it would stay clear of the stud.
I mentioned the hose looked excessively long. Tech said "No comment"
Sorry to hear you are in the 1%. Since I have a whole bag of lemon drops I thoroughly expected to be in the same 1% but after crawling under there it looks like the hose is clamped in place and nowheres near the starter. Too bad they can't just splice a new piece of hose in the place of the chaffed part.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, I just serviced the entire coach, fixed a half dozen small items and waxed the entire coach. Knock on wood, but EVERYTHING on the coach is working and ready to go for a busy summer season......now I have to crawl under and see if this is an issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #8

After I received the recall the other day, I called Gaffney to have them add it to the service appointment I have in a couple months.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
Dutch Star Don, let us know if it is a simple fix with pictures. It is a pain in the a-- to run all the way to Freightliner for me. Thanks
DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #10

had my recall addressed last week not in the 1% and it took about 2 hrs
walterhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhess View Post
That's what our Oasis Freightliner scheduler told me as well - 2 hours, give or take. I'll know more after my appointment on Tuesday.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhess View Post
Walter, I don't understand. If you were NOT in the 1% why did it take 2 hrs and/or why did you take it in?
R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
rdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:14 AM   #13

Update

The new hose is installed and seems to be working like the old one.
Now I have to put everything back in the bays. The tech told he did appreciate having them empty running the new hose.
Since the steel braid HAD arced against the starter stud, it made me think about some prior problems. The fantastic fans would on occasion try to cycle on and off. The kitchen fan had actually came on while in for service. It did not want to turn off. Local dealer and Nappanee could not find the problem. Nappanee did say they tightened a ground wire.
Had the doorbell ring with no one there a few times. (one time I was standing near the dash and was sure nobody was playing a prank)
I've owned and lived in this coach for the past 18 months. I think I am very close to having the "new coach" kinks worked out. Planning a short, 500 mile shakedown trip, for the end of the month and a 3-4 K mile trip next month. I have high hopes the trips will be mechanically uneventful.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #14

Webz...........I just received the recall as well. Which bins should I plan on emptying to assist/speed-up the repairs? I will be going into to Freightliner for an annual service in the next few weeks. Thanks......Mike
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, recall, steering