RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
WTB

New Step Motor Not Working 2005 Newmar Kountry Star

OK, I installed the new step motor and plugged in the power lead. Nothing. I can't get the step motor to run at all.

I have the key on, open and close the door and nothing happens.

The old motor was running when I took it out but the plastic pawl inside would not lock the steps either in or out. That's why I purchased the new motor.

What am I missing. Where do I start looking to resolve this.

Thanks one and all.
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #2

First , if your coach has a Kwikee step , there are three fuses in the system .

In my vintage coach the fuses ( 2 fuses and a 12 volt circuit breaker) are all over the place , so I won't pretend to have any idea where they might be in your coach .

But here's some testing info , in case you do have Kwikee step mechanism.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Step-Troubleshooting-Flow-Chart.pdf (1.49 MB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Strange. I could have written your post almost verbatim about a month ago. My step motor failed on my 2005 KSCA - actually was intermittently working. I ordered a new motor from Amazon, crawled under the coach and switched the motor. My steps are Coachstep brand; I assume yours is as well. Its a pain to change the motor out because of the spacers used both above and below the motor. Anyway, same thing happens to me - nothing. So the rabbit chase ensues. Checked power and ground. Crap the module must be bad. I finally took the old motor and plugged it up and held it in my hands and when the door was opened and closed, it worked properly. So, I just had a bad motor. I went and bought another motor from Autozone and all is good. BTW - the motor is the same as used in some of the Ford Crown Vics from the 90's. You can match it up at the store. The only modification is that you will have to drill out the 3 mounting holes a bit larger to accommodate the mounting screws which are larger than what Ford uses.
Hope this helps. Good luck with it.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
WTB

Interesting. However, the tech who took the old motor out took it with him. Darn. Knew I should have kept it. OK, back to work. Thanks
Old 12-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The steps have three grounds one a heavy one from controller and a small short one green from controller to a mounting screw for motor, third one is a ground from chassis frame under coach held on frame by screw and washer, maybe split, that always gets dirty and rusty and needs cleaning periodically, that comes from the screen door magnetic switch..
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
WTB

This may be a dumb question, but if I hold the motor in my hand, shouldn't I be able to turn the gear in the center by hand?
Old 12-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
WTB

Ok, thanks for the troubleshooting flow charts. Interesting about the grounds. I can see a "bundle" of three ground wires coming from the control unit, only one small wire appears to be attached to the chassis. So tomorrow I'll first hook up all the grounds. I'll hook the "heavy" green wire to some point on the chassis. The other "lighter" wire I'll hook to a bolt that holds the motor in place.

I'll also make a pair of "jumper" wires and see what happens when I connect the new motor directly to one of my batteries. Progress. Thanks again one and all.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTB View Post
This may be a dumb question, but if I hold the motor in my hand, shouldn't I be able to turn the gear in the center by hand?

No. It won’t turn the motor. It’s a gear reduction motor and you’d be turning it from the wrong end.
jt
Old 12-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTB View Post
Ok, thanks for the troubleshooting flow charts. Interesting about the grounds. I can see a "bundle" of three ground wires coming from the control unit, only one small wire appears to be attached to the chassis. So tomorrow I'll first hook up all the grounds. I'll hook the "heavy" green wire to some point on the chassis. The other "lighter" wire I'll hook to a bolt that holds the motor in place.

I'll also make a pair of "jumper" wires and see what happens when I connect the new motor directly to one of my batteries. Progress. Thanks again one and all.
I remember when my steps quit working right after I got our coach. A buddy was helping to troubleshoot it , he under the steps, I was in the electrical bay. I, for some reason, was looking at the huge bundle of wires that were disappearing into the back of the bay and while looking, saw a big green wire with a butt connector on it that had a wire pulled out on one side. I pushed the green wire back into the butt connector temporarily and the steps started working again. I removed the existing butt connector and reconnected the wires with a crimp/heat shrink butt connector. No problems with steps since (knocking on wood).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's another pdf that may help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Step Troubleshooting Guide.pdf (538.3 KB, 4 views)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
WTB

OK, here is where I'm at. I pulled the motor. I connected the yellow wire to the negative terminal of a 12 volt battery. The red to the positive terminal. Per my test light I'm getting current all the way through but the motor does not run.

I'm guessing this means that the motor is jammed? Defective? What do others think.

Thanks again one and all for your help
Old 12-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bad motor.
jt
Old 12-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
WTB

OK update, forgive me if this is a bit long but I'm no electrical expert.

I decided to make an actual pair of "jumper" wires. Using these I determined that the motor was good.

Now for the confusion. There are two large "green" wires coming from the control module. The troubleshooting documents everyone gave me shows only one. It says the one must be hooked to a ground or the steps will not work. OK. But what about the second one? Should it also go to ground. Both green wires "look" like by the way they are "zipped tied together" that they at one time went to a missing ground connection. There is also a small white wire in this bundle the one end is already connected to a ground connection. But where does the other end go? Thoughts one and all.

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #14
WTB

They go in. They go out!

Once I knew the motor was good it was time to install it.

But before actually installing it

I hooked all three grounds to the spot on the chassis where it looked like they once were attached.

I plugged the motor in

I turned the "step switch" to "on", turned the key on, then opened and closed the door

The motor ran just fine. Time now to install in once and for all.

Finally test, the steps go in and out. Yipee! Yup, little things do excite me.

A big thanks to everyone on this forum who guided me along. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your patience and guidance, and all the documents you shared.

Tags
motor, newmar