Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Evergreen Owners Club
New Tires for Alaska Trip

We are planning on going to Alaska this summer and are debating on if we should change our tires. We just put new ones on the front and our back ones will be 5 yrs old in May. I have read that we should change our tires out between 5-7 years but if it would be safe we would like to change them once we get back from Alaska. For those of you who have traveled to Alaska do you think we are making a mistake by not changing them before we go. Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks
Cathy&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It is likely your tires will be good to Alaska and back. If you have any doubts you could take the unit to a reputable tire dealer and have them inspect the tires. Depending upon the wear they should say the tires are good.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd carry a spare ( mounted or unmounted ) to be safe. You can get tires in most large cities if needed. The spare will save you time ( waiting for a suitable spare ) and money ( time to shop around ). If yours are in good shape , I wouldn't let the fact that they're five years old concern you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tread wear being one aspect of inspection, I would look closely at the sidewalls. If they are showing any cracks at all I would replace them without question.

Most tire manufacturers recommend inspecting annually with emphasis on replacement in the 7-10 year range with recommendations to not go beyond the ten year mark.

As Gordon suggests, take them to a reputable tire shop that works on large OTR or coaches and have them inspected, but @ 5-years as long as they are not showing any signs of weather cracking I would feel comfortable running them.

I just recently replaced my steer and drive tires on our coach and they were 8 and 7 years respectively and not showing any signs of cracking. I just wanted those POS Goodyear's off my coach.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Your profile says you are in North Florida......Alaska is quite a poke from Florida......you don't say how many miles you have on the tires, or if they are stored indoors or out. The Florida heat is tough on everything----in particular tires, hoses, and batteries. If you were only going to keep your unit another few years, I'd get the new tires now.....if on the other hand you plan to always have this rig, well maybe there is some decision........

I would be leaning towards new shoes for the big trip.
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

My six year old Michelins made up and back, no problem. Look closely at the side walls for any sign of cracking. If there are none visible, I would hit the road and not look back. JMHO.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Look, here's the thing. Do you really want to take the chance of having a blowout on your trip. Not only is it an inconvenience and cost much more to purchase another tire up there, but also many times a blow out can not only cause a lot of damage to the surrounding area of the tire, it can also cause you to lose control of the mh!

Think about it. To me the choice is perfectly clear.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #8

Here is what Mr Michelin has to say on the subject. One has to do what ever makes them feel good. Personally, mine will run until I see any sidewall cracking which I pay very close attention to.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc..._Motorhome.pdf
Old 03-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
New tires will not guarantee that you will not have a blow out or tire puncture. Neither will using the old tires suggest you will have tire problems.

Check the tires if you are comfortable doing that or have the tires checked if you are not and if they appear to be good you should be good to go. If you have them inspected get the fellows to show you what they are looking for so you can continue to monitor them.

The tires on your coach will age out long before you are able to mile them out. Check them or get an expert opinion and then enjoy your trip.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
New tires will not guarantee that you will not have a blow out or tire puncture. Neither will using the old tires suggest you will have tire problems.

If you check the tires if you are comfortable doing that or have the tires checked if you do not and they appear to be good you should be good to go. If you have them inspected get the fellows to show you what they are looking for so you can continue to monitor them.

The tires on your coach will age out long before you are able to mile them out. Check them or get an expert opinion and then enjoy your trip.
Agreed. Five years isn't that old of a tire, I would base my decision off of condition rather than age alone. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
As said, if they appear to be in great shape and you have tire tread I would look at that as a good sign. We did Alaska in 2013, if you drive reasonable on the roads you should not have a problem but if you think you can run the top of the world highway at 65mph as we had many pass us doing then you are going to have issues. Personally I would not be afraid to drive on the tires at 5 years old if there is no cracking. Look at side walls and in the corners of the tread.
Alaska is a beautiful place and the trip up is just as beautiful, take your time and use reasonable caution and you will be fine. Enjoy your trip!
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #12

If you have Michelin tires you can have them inspected at a dealer and that will give you a good idea on their condition. If you have covered them and maintained them properly you should be fine.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Paula View Post
We are planning on going to Alaska this summer and are debating on if we should change our tires. We just put new ones on the front and our back ones will be 5 yrs old in May. I have read that we should change our tires out between 5-7 years but if it would be safe we would like to change them once we get back from Alaska. For those of you who have traveled to Alaska do you think we are making a mistake by not changing them before we go. Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks

My wife and I did exactly what you are contemplating. In 2008 we took our coach on a trip to Alaska. The tires were built in '02, so they were in the range of 6 years old when we made the trip and had about 44,000 miles on them. They looked good with no sidewall cracks and plenty of tread depth.

Our trip was uneventful from a tire standpoint. We traveled about 15 thousand miles that year and replaced the tires the following spring.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires