Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If when stopped with engine running, you turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other, and release it, if it goes back to center by itself, comfort drive is working.
Thanks never thought about that...Mine is working then.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #16

Yep always around 3 unless heavy wind then 6 as said...
Old 10-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always find it interesting what people's preferences/reasons are with the Comfort Drive. It truly is a personal preference thing.

For me, the default sweet spot is 3.5 or 4. When there are high winds and/or other outside forces (crowns, high semi traffic, etc.), I turn it down to 3 or so and find it's less fatiguing to fight those things. Especially, over long distances.

I've gone up to 5 and it feels far too much like our old coach that didn't have Comfort Drive. I find that 'feeling' the road and manually having to compensate for all those outside factors/forces, really fatigues me and makes the drive far less enjoyable. I rarely ever use 5 on up.

Whatever anyone's personal preferences on settings are, the one constant is, that it's such a fantastic invention though! Having those options is great!

Happy trails!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #18

While we're talking about preferences, I set it about 2.5 in the morning and turn it down as the day progresses. By afternoon coffee time, I'm down to 1 or 1.2. As I drive it, I can still feel the center position with my fingertips and let it do all the work. This wide range in preferences is exactly why the CD in general and the efforts control were created.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #19

Ricci, I'm curious what Newmar finds wrong with your Comfort Drive as mine is acting tbe same way.
I found two CD related fuses one labeled 5A Column Drive Ignition and the other 30A Column Drive Battery. The 5A fuse tested good but I didnt test the 30A fuse thinking it might clear the CD memory if I remove it? I found two wire harness connections to the CD module (located behind, top of the steering column), which were properly seated. The wires (green and black) connected to the Effort Knob (potentiometer?) were connected properly and the splice connector seemed tight on both ends.
I'm not sure what else to check prior to making a service appointment.
My Comfort Drive in my 2018 has never worked since I've owned it. I was under the false pretense that it was working properly due to the fact the front wheels straightened out automatically after letting go of the steering wheel (if wheels turned).
Now I'm out of warranty and never got to experience CD.
Roada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Every now and then my comfort drive seems to not respond when turning the dial. If I stop, or go really slowly, and turn the wheel fully left and then fully right (or vice/versa) it seems to wake up the system. Have no idea why this works and don’t care as it has fixed my problem.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
For those with Comfort Drive, Ken Sherwin has provided an invaluable resource in this "sticky" thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/comf...le-369558.html

Reading through Ken's articles will give you a great perspective on how the CD system works and how to deal with some issues, like "waking up the system." It is certainly worth the reading time involved. And, Ken has a knack for writing in plain, understandable language.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roada View Post
Now I'm out of warranty and never got to experience CD.
I think the Comfort Drive is part of your chassis warranty which I think is 3 years from purchase.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #23

Thank you...good to know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
I think the Comfort Drive is part of your chassis warranty which I think is 3 years from purchase.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I concur with Norm Mac as Newmar has already told me that they refer issues to the chassis manufacturer. Therefore the warranty in longer than the Newmar warranty. Spartan has been kind enough to have one of their folks come over when we are in on a November warranty visit at Nappanee.

Roada - I will try to update what the fix is but in 2020 the control is no longer a rheostat but is part of the controls on the steering wheel so it may be different. It has to be something simple as the only thing that the CD doesn't do is adjust the torque required by the operator. Boy, do I miss being able to adjust the CD.

Tom
Old 10-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
jrs

Roada - I will try to update what the fix is but in 2020 the control is no longer a rheostat but is part of the controls on the steering wheel so it may be different. It has to be something simple as the only thing that the CD doesn't do is adjust the torque required by the operator. Boy, do I miss being able to adjust the CD.
Tom[/QUOTE]

Tom, let me start by saying I'm new to CD. I have a Freightliner and can adjust the settings on my 2020 DriveTech Steering. I would think Newmar would want Spartan owners to be able to adjust settings on Spartan too? Based on others above, I need to try driving longer by lowering my settings
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Joe - Not sure I get your point. CD adjusts on Spartan just as on FL, except something is wrong with mine and it doesn't. On our previous DS it worked perfectly so the defect appears to be in the build or QA check out process. Spartan has excellent customer service as well as a person at the Nappanee campus, so this will save me a trip to some shop that may or may not know what they are doing. You will grow to love CD, it is really special.

Tom
Old 10-17-2019, 10:24 PM   #27

After checking connections and following other's tips and suggestions my Comfort Drive seems to be working. I expected the steering wheel to have more resistance with the effort knob turned to max, but it controls well between 3-4.
Appreciate everyones suggestions!