Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #1

New to Comfort Drive

I'm not sure my Comfort Drive is working. When traveling at 65 mph and adjusting the 'effort knob' from 1 (full ccw) to 6 (full cw) the steering wheel resistance just slightly increases. I dont know where the Comfort Drive computer is located or where to check CD fuses or wiring connections.
Any help is appreciated!
Roada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

Best test is to be stopped and turn the dial to see the difference when turn the steering wheel. We have ours set on 3 and really don't change it unless in high wind or storms.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Best test is to be stopped and turn the dial to see the difference when turn the steering wheel. We have ours set on 3 and really don't change it unless in high wind or storms.
Newmar Man
Thanks for the feedback. I understand that comfort drive has no effect on steering until the rv is traveling over a certain speed? We have a 2018 model.

If you are traveling over 60 mph and turn the effort knob from full ccw to full cw then make a lane change can you feel more steering resistance? On mine it doesnt change.
Do you know where the CD computer is located? I'd like to make sure all the connections are secure.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
2.5 to 3 here also,only go to six in strong cross winds. I find that as you go higher on the setting it slows the movement of the wheel most noticeably when trying to move it rapidly. Less noticeable when moving the wheel slowly.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
2.5 to 3 here also,only go to six in strong cross winds. I find that as you go higher on the setting it slows the movement of the wheel most noticeably when trying to move it rapidly. Less noticeable when moving the wheel slowly.
Nice...wish I could experience what Comfort Drive feels like on my 2018. I'm curious where the CD computer is located?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roada View Post
Nice...wish I could experience what Comfort Drive feels like on my 2018. I'm curious where the CD computer is located?

It’s in the same housing as the motor fan gearbox. It’s all one piece.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Community Moderator

If when stopped with engine running, you turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other, and release it, if it goes back to center by itself, comfort drive is working.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Rather than posting your concerns on the forum, it is time to take your coach to someone who can check it out properly; Freightliner/Spartan (depending on the chassis make), Newmar, etc. If there is a problem, you need to get it fixed...now. If there isn't, you need to be assured of that fact. IME, Comfort Drive is a subtle system that doesn't manifest itself in dramatic ways; it just makes the coach more effortless to drive.

One test you might try is, when stopped and engine running, turn the wheel a quarter turn to one side. Release the wheel and turn the engine off...keeping your hands clear. If the wheel snaps back toward the center, I believe your CD is working. KenSherwin can confirm whether I am correct in that assumption.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If when stopped with engine running, you turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other, and release it, if it goes back to center by itself, comfort drive is working.
You beat me to the punch!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #10

Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - I also have a Comfort Drive that doesn't seem to respond to the setting. It reacts about like a "3" no matter the setting. Have a Nov. 4 appointment at Nappanee for that and several other issues but would like to hear from Ken about what could possibly be the cause of this sort of problem. Our previous coach was a 2018 4369 (both coaches on Spartan) and it worked perfectly. The CD is working as it will snap the wheel back to center but there is no difference in steering effort based on the setting. I am stumped.

Tom
Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #12

My guess is that they did not plug in the control knob. A quick look with the diagnostic program will find out.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Ken - That is exactly what it acts like. No knob this year, they have it built into the steering wheel controls. Interestingly I have a wire under the dash that is not connected with a tag saying, "steering wheel effort control" but nothing near it that matches the plug end. I also wondered if it was part of the old harness from when the rotary control was used. Thanks for your quick response.

Tom
Old 10-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
3.5 here.
NH Dave is online now   Reply With Quote