Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2022, 09:39 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Good Morning,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. We noticed a small spot on the ground yesterday that indicated a leak. Fairly mechanically inclined however not familiar with diesels at all. After some investigating I saw that it was going from a hose and looks like antifreeze coming out of it (first Pict). The hose leads top to a canister in the top of the engine bay(Second Pict). Can any of you tell me what this hose is for/does and is this s specific hose that needs to be ordered or can you purchase lengths of it and make your own?
I searched the number on that side of the hose (SAE J1527USCG Type B2) and it was listed as Marine Vent Fuel Hose and looks like it is sold by the foot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Pict.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	357174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second Pict.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	357175  

Ruffcutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2022, 09:21 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffcutz View Post
Hello all, just pulled the trigger on our 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire. Found a mint condition rig with some great updates. Looking forward to being a part if the Newmar Owners Family
Hi, Ruff, welcome to Newmar! We are in the same vintage club, if you will, with my Ď02 Dutch Star. We love it for itís simplicity and reliability! No DEF, no emissions (some places), minimal digital control circuits to burp or hiccup at the wrong moment, and best of all- no electronic toilets!!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:18 AM   #17

Congratulations

I hope you enjoy yours as well as we enjoy our 2001 Dutch Star. The first year we experienced some issues with overheating in the western mountains. After that we had two years of trouble free trips except loosing the refrigerator. We have put about 16K miles on it since purchase. As others have said, have the wheels aligned, weigh it and set up the correct tire pressure and it will drive very well. We are on a FL chassis.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Good Morning,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. We noticed a small spot on the ground yesterday that indicated a leak. Fairly mechanically inclined however not familiar with diesels at all. After some investigating I saw that it was going from a hose and looks like antifreeze coming out of it (first Pict). The hose leads top to a canister in the top of the engine bay(Second Pict). Can any of you tell me what this hose is for/does and is this s specific hose that needs to be ordered or can you purchase lengths of it and make your own?
I searched the number on that side of the hose (SAE J1527USCG Type B2) and it was listed as Marine Vent Fuel Hose and looks like it is sold by the foot.
Have you tried to tighten the clamps?
I think that canister in the top of the engine bay (if I am seeing it right) is the expansion tank for your cooling system. The cooling system including the expansion tank are under preshure all the time. It isn't like most cars where the overflow is not pressurized.
If you need to replace the hose you should be able to buy it as cut to order. Just make shure they sell you a equivalent hose (cooling system/heater).
I would check all the clamps especially on the tubes in the turbo system. A leak there will drop your power and performance.
Let us know
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:26 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you Bill. I took the hose off and cut the end to see if I could fix it that way. I was having trouble locating any kind of proper house with the 1” ID. It’s seems to not be leaking however tomorrow I am going to order the proper hose, do a flush and replace. Are there any suggestions as far as flushing solutions go? Again I am fairly familiar with gas engines but diesel is a new thing for me and I am trying to stay very budget conscious. Thank you all again for the support and looking forward to hitting the road very soon.
Ruffcutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Thank you Bill. I took the hose off and cut the end to see if I could fix it that way. I was having trouble locating any kind of proper house with the 1” ID. It’s seems to not be leaking however tomorrow I am going to order the proper hose, do a flush and replace. Are there any suggestions as far as flushing solutions go? Again I am fairly familiar with gas engines but diesel is a new thing for me and I am trying to stay very budget conscious. Thank you all again for the support and looking forward to hitting the road very soon.
Look in the Cummins sub forum here. There are several threads on how to flush out the old coolantnand replace it with new technology NOAT coolant.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thank you Bill. I took the hose off and cut the end to see if I could fix it that way. I was having trouble locating any kind of proper house with the 1Ē ID. Itís seems to not be leaking however tomorrow I am going to order the proper hose, do a flush and replace. Are there any suggestions as far as flushing solutions go? Again I am fairly familiar with gas engines but diesel is a new thing for me and I am trying to stay very budget conscious. Thank you all again for the support and looking forward to hitting the road very soon.
I don't have any recommendations on the flush but on the fill after the last Flush. Because you have a hard time getting all the water out I recommend finding out what your total capacity is. Next fill 50% of that with concentrate coolant first. Then fill with distilled water. This will compensate for the unknown quantity of water left in the system. You get a good 50/50 mix.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, newmar, mountain aire