Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #1

New To Me 2007 All Star

Glad I found this forum for Newmar owners. I just picked up a 2007 All Star 3950 that needs a little work, and I'm pretty excited to see what I'm able to fix/maintain on my own. Feel like I've stepped up to the major leagues since we currently own a 32' class C on the Ford F450 chassis.

Couple off issues I want to address first:
  • getting the generator to work...I think I know what the issue already is on it
  • getting the awning to work...my assumption is a dead motor
  • getting the levelers to work....sound like I'll need to replace it all with a DIY system?

Got a part on the way for the Cat generator, then next I probably should change oil & filters in both coach and generator. Looks like three filters next to the engine...oil, air seperator, and ? Do you normally change all three each time an oil change, or just the oil filter?
Funkadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2022, 03:01 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

Before you start throwing motors and new leveling systems at the problems, find a troubleshooting manual for each and work through the problem. If you can post the model and brand of levelers along with symptoms, there are a lot of members here that can help you out. The first thing to check is fuses for all of the systems as they can be in various places.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. The original levelers we're the Atwood levelers, but I think the controller died, and/or a wiring issue to motors. So another makeshift control box was added next to the steering column with 4 switches to control motors. I believe a couple of the motors or entire levelers we're replaced at some point, but only two of them work now.

I've read the Atwood system was dropped after Lippert bought them, plus it wasn't a very reliable system. Hoping I can eventually replace with a new system that I can install

By reading this site, I think I also identified the issue of the Cummins cranking for a while before firing. I may have air getting into the fuel line...just need to track down where.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:39 PM   #4

Update

Generator had a melted control unit. Replaced that and it fires up. Changed oil & filters on it but haven't figured out where the air filter is yet. The generator on the All Star doesn't slide out, so hopefully it's not inside a side access panel that will be impossible to remove.

Determined the only issue with power awning is worn out struts. It's the Dometic Weather Pro awning so hopefully easy to find replacement struts.

The leveler system was the original Atwood levelegs. Power board seems to have died at some point and 4 switches were installed along with new wires running to each motor. All 4 leveler motors will run, but only two seem to work enough to fully move. Have looked into a few leveling systems (Bigfoot, HWH, and EQ smart levelers).

Anyone have experience replacing their leveling system with one of these? Are they doable as a DIY project?
Old 08-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #5

I sent you a pm so u u know

Tags