Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #1

New (to me at least) gray tank monitor failure

I've been having some trouble with my gray tank monitor this trip. After I emptied the gray tank last night, the monitor still read 2/3 full. I've searched for this problem in other threads, so my first thought was that the tank was dirty, or that the middle sensor was malfunctioning.

I've not had a chance to pull it off yet, but this morning I checked the monitor again, and now it's reading full. No one's showered, and there's been no other heavy use of water. Just a few dishes, plus morning teethbrushing and the like.
This seems to be something else, then -- the "full" sensor is definitely changing state, but there's no way it's full.

I noticed that the gray tank monitor was reading 2/3 at the beginning of the trip, too. I just figured I'd see what happens (this is only our 5th trip -- we're still learning the systems), and it switched to full soon after we got to the campsite. I emptied it last night, after a few days, when the shower backed up a bit. That was a little earlier than I'd normally empty it, but my daughter had just taken a very long shower.

It almost seems to me like the sensors are functioning, just with a mis-calibrated empty level somehow. However, I don't really know what I'm talking about or how they actually work, so that is likely to be complete nonsense.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior before? If so, what was the fix? Having a tank sensor that says 2/3 full for 5% of the use, then full for the other 95%, is pretty useless.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
southardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #2

What year and model of coach do you have. There are a couple of different systems used.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDave View Post
What year and model of coach do you have. There are a couple of different systems used.
I meant to give that info. It's a 2020 Bay Star Sport.
southardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #4

I am not familiar with what tank sensors are used on your year and model. Could be a no contact/no probe type or may be probes into the side of the tank. It seems logical that it is not calibrated correctly if it is a no contact type sensor. Does the manual tell you how to calibrate the tanks?

It is new so should be under warranty. I not an obvious fix then take it to a dealer for warranty repair. Or you can call Newmar, they have always been helpful when I call.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2020 Kountry Star so presumably the same tank sensor system. When I first took delivery the gray and black tank sensor read 0%. I assumed it was empty. Two days into our first trip they were both still 0%. The dealer fixed both under my first round of warranty work. They did not specify what they did.
Then the fresh water went to 0% for a month or two. But it magically fixed itself before I got the coach in for the second round of warranty. Been working ever since. Two months ago the propane sensor went to 0%. Taking it back in for the third round of warranty work next month.

Not sure what I am going to do when it gets out of warranty.

Not helping you fix your problem - just relaying similar problems. Certainly not operator error.

I suggest getting it fixed undre warranty ASAP so you still have time on your warranty to fix it again if it fails a second time.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, monitor, tank