Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

New to Newmar -- need advice, please.

Hi All -- I'm looking at a '14 - '15 Bay Star 3401 and needing some general advice regarding Newmar coaches, and other makes.

I currently own a '08 Alpenlite 34RL 5th wheel, bought new at the Western RV factory in WA. A '06 F350 pulls the 5ver. (I got stuck with warranty cost when Western went bankrupt.)

The 5ver is great but think it's time to try something new and a Class A would replace the Alpenlite and truck.

The Class A would be used for about 3-4 months a year, probably only in California, and less than 2,000 miles.

My question for Newmar owners is this: what other Class A's did you consider? How long have you owned your Newmar and was it bought new or used? Would you buy another one?

Other than depreciation out the door, I've heard that the first year or so involves fixing whatever was missed at the factory. I don't know if that applies to Newmar coaches. Any thoughts on this?

Also looking for a Newmar dealer in the Western states, preferably California, but will travel to pick one up.

I need a Class A that has quality built in and Newmar looks like it fits.

I'm undecided on whether to buy new or used -- I'm aware of the pros/cons of both. The thought of huge depreciation makes me pause.

Thank you for your help in my decision making!! Safe travels.
Leland0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #2

Newmar or Tiffin these days if you want gas and a high end chassis as well as house. Used saves a bundle on depreciation. The problem is finding these two brands used. Most people move up to them from lower cost units so they know what they want and get it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two Dutch Star's and should have gotten a third rather than the Magna. Found a couple '07 London Aires but the one I liked was sold before I got the DW interested. Good used Newmars are sometimes hard to find.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Newmar or Tiffin these days if you want gas and a high end chassis as well as house. Used saves a bundle on depreciation. The problem is finding these two brands used. Most people move up to them from lower cost units so they know what they want and get it.

X2. We got an old Newmar for close to the price of much newer, less quality models & feel like we have a gem. Big key in choosing was the opinion of independent service shops. See what those in your area think.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:42 AM   #5

Definitely used for me. I bought a 96 Mountain Aire about 4 years ago and have never once been sorry. Sure there have been costs to keep it up but it's been a lot less than what I spent on the sticks and bricks the last two years I owned it. Would I buy Newmar again, you bet I would.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #6

We purchased our coach new and with the exception of a loose Jack fitting and a minor door adjustment the coach has been perfect. Newmar builds a quality coach and has great customer service. We looked at used coaches and found few that we liked.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

We found a good used 06 HR and besides fixing 12 minor problems, we are very happy and saved a bunch of $$$$$$! Solid coach and chassis.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
Hi All -- I'm looking at a '14 - '15 Bay Star 3401 and needing some general advice regarding Newmar coaches, and other makes.

I currently own a '08 Alpenlite 34RL 5th wheel, bought new at the Western RV factory in WA. A '06 F350 pulls the 5ver. (I got stuck with warranty cost when Western went bankrupt.)

The 5ver is great but think it's time to try something new and a Class A would replace the Alpenlite and truck.

The Class A would be used for about 3-4 months a year, probably only in California, and less than 2,000 miles.

My question for Newmar owners is this: what other Class A's did you consider? How long have you owned your Newmar and was it bought new or used? Would you buy another one?

Other than depreciation out the door, I've heard that the first year or so involves fixing whatever was missed at the factory. I don't know if that applies to Newmar coaches. Any thoughts on this?

Also looking for a Newmar dealer in the Western states, preferably California, but will travel to pick one up.

I'm undecided on whether to buy new or used -- I'm aware of the pros/cons of both. The thought of huge depreciation makes me pause.

Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago were the three brands we narrowed it down to when purchasing our last two DP's. The 2010 was a Winnebago, the 2015 a Newmar. The Winnebago was an excellent coach. In the 6 months we've had the Newmar, we have been very happy. We've had two minor warranty items (a paint chip on the rear engine cover and a crooked steering wheel).

We tend to buy new. Newmar is unique in their price class in the amount of customization in floorplans and finishes they accommodate. Being able to get exactly what we want is worth the depreciation of the new coach vs. used. I also know how the coach was used and maintained from the start with buying new.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #9

We bought a brand new Bay Star 3103 last August. To date, we have had 3 warranty claims. The dash radio display went dark, the subwoofer died and lastly, the street side skipped a tooth on the front cog (this cocked the slide at an angle). Newmar Customer Service is top notch. They sent me a new dash radio and subwoofer and I did the repair myself. For the slide problem, they couldn't find a dealer that could help get me in before my next trip, so they found a mobile mechanic that came to my house and fixed it. They also replaced both house batteries because they wouldn't hold a charge. Of these problems, only one could be attributed to Newmar. The others were components all manufactured by other companies. Newmar stands behind their product. They are not perfect, but when a problem is found, they will make it right.

Good luck in you search.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Quote:

I am definity in the Newmar camp after owning 4 different brands over the years. The '05 Winnebago Adventurer was a good coach, but not in the same zip code as the '04 Newmar 4011 DSDP. Newmar is a quality coach that is very reliable.

I am also in the used camp and would never buy one of these things new. Our '04 Dutch Star drives as good or better than any of the new ones we drove. It just cost $200K less money and the bugs are already worked out!!

Used Newmar MH's are not easy to find, but they are out there. I never buy from a dealer and only buy from the original owner. Diesel is the only way to go.

Just my 2 cents worth!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck on your selection and purchase.

Couple thoughts come to mind.

2000 miles is not a lot of miles. Probably be better off with a gas engine.

If you purchase a diesel there is an issue with algae growing in the fuel. There are algae inhibitors. Not an issue with gas engines but in that case a fuel stabilizer is recommended.

Most important issue is will you like the coach. Floor plan is the most critical. Chassis are pretty dependable and are pretty much the same regardless of which folks prefer.

I suggest finding a dealer with some different models and ditching the salesman. Sit in the coach and pretend you are staying in it. There will be inclement weather where you may be confined inside.

Is there enough room for you to be comfortable? Room to move about, chairs comfortable and room to lay out hobbies, etc?

IMO more units are changed because of disliking the floorplan that other issues.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #12

Leland, Glad to welcome you to the forum.

While we really enjoy our Dutch Star, our use is quite different from yours. We also tend to travel 3 to 4 months of the year but at about 8,000 miles per year. Because of the higher maintenance costs of a diesel pusher, I would agree with your choice to look at a gasser.

Our Dutch Star is our first motorhome after about 35 years of travel trailers and fifth wheels. We vey satisfied and definitely would buy Newmar again. Newmar and our local shop agreed to work together on any warranty issues because we purchased out of state and do not have a Newmar dealer close by. We did have a couple warranty issues and Newmar support was easy to work with. I have read on these forums that the gas model Newmars come off the same assembly line as the high dollar diesel pushers.

You asked about California dealers. On these forums, a number of folks have mentioned Tom Lindstrom RV, Moorpark, CA favorably. He has sold gas model Newmars for years and now sells their diesels as well. We did not buy from him because at the time he was only selling the gassers.

Best of luck on your choice. Floorplan is most important.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a link to Newmars and will have info on who to talk to at factory and dealers good or bad in your area.
In QT's # 3 there are discussions on what people like to buy and why and further down the thread is a BAY STAR Section on mod's and fixes people have done.
In my signature below are links to many others for what ever Newmar you may get old to new.
Good luck in your hunt maybe a welcome to the Newmar family is in the future.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Good luck in your search. This is definitely a great place to get lots of opinions

Quote:
Agree with others that a diesel is overkill in this situation. I would be really looking at a Bay Star Sport if I was expecting such limited usage. This model packs a lot of great quality in a really approachable price.

Quote:
We have had our Bay Star, bought new, since June. It has a bit over 6k miles on it and 200 hours on the generator. Our family absolutely loves it, and we are very happy with it.

We considered and ruled out units from Thor and Winnebago. Definitely considered Tiffin, just liked the Newmar better. I also really liked 2008 units from National RV. Even better than Newmar and Tiffin units of that vintage.

If our coach was stolen or destroyed, I definitely would buy the exact same coach again if I could. Sadly, they made changes to floor plans in 2016, that would force us to do a broader search. Hoping the coach lasts until the kids stop traveling with us so we don't have to find something else.

Even given what I said above about diesel coaches, I still pine for a diesel. If our coach disappeared, I would be asking Newmar if I could special-order the over-cab bunk in a Ventana LE 3436.

Quote:
Warranty issues have been very minimal. The ceiling lights went out, so Newmar sent me new ones, and I installed them myself in 30 minutes. The rear AC is not working, and the front shade lost its stabilizer bar (still works fine). Living in Seattle, I can definitely get through the winter with only one AC

This far, I have been extremely happy with the first-year quality on this unit.

Quote:
Tom Lindstrom!

Quote:
The problem with used for us is that the selection of recent model used Bay Stars was very limited. We'd have to go back to 2009 or so, and by that time, the interiors started to feel quite old.

In addition, we really wanted the drop-down bunk over the cab, which was a new option, and basically required ordering a new unit. We've been super happy with this setup. Our daughter loves her perch.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newmar