Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2023, 01:55 PM   #1

New Water Pump worked for an hour, fuse OK but no power

I'm confused.

Put a new fresh water pump in the 2012 King Aire it worked great for about an hour. Was about to congratulate myself when it died. 10 Amp Fuse in half bath is good, swapped it with another 10 those lights still work but the pump don't.

No power at the pump wires. Is there another fuse or relay somewhere? I've pulled and inspected all fuses in the panel near the transfer switch - they all look good. The panel under driver's window looks good too.

Any ideas? Would I be crazy to try and run a new temporary wire from panel near transfer switch to the pump? Yes that would mean I would lose the switching from Silverleaf and Wall Plates but it would get me water when not in a campground.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2023, 02:13 PM   #2

OK, even more confused - the fuse that I thought was the water pump / monitor panel as labeled don't seem to do anything.

When the fuse was pulled the Silverleaf panels (Bedroom and above steering wheel) and tank display in wet bay all work.

Case in point the empty fuse block labeled Slideout - slides still work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230205_183833~2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	385917  
Old 02-06-2023, 03:19 PM   #3

You need to check all of the fuses. Are you sure you didn’t lose ground? How are you checking the power? Why did you swap out the old water pump. Use a good ground and see if you have power that way? There is a relay module for the water pump. When you turn it on the pump, what are you seeing?
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:38 PM   #4

*need to check all of the fuses
Closely checked all fuses 15 Amp or less. Could it be a higher amperage?

*Are you sure you didn’t lose ground?
Only 2 wires Red and Black on old ( Shurflo ) and new pump ( DC House).

*How are you checking the power?
Very methodical - did not get zapped when redoing wire nuts. Will get a tester over weekend.

*Why did you swap out the old water pump.
Old stopped ratling and pushing water.

* There is a relay module for the water pump. When you turn it on the pump, what are you seeing?
Not sure which is relay. When old pump worked and new briefly worked the rocker switch in wet Bay and / or wall buttons in bath / kitchen would all light up when pressed. Now only the rocker in wet Bay lights up but still no water.

Edit: pressing the pump switch in half bath produces a clicking sound. The metal box below fuses shows a series of wires, the one labeled water pump flashes green when pressing the pump switch much the same as light switches.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:39 AM   #5

Check your relay... they fail ... I carry a spare. Follow the wires from the pump to find the relay.... do a google search to find how to test it's operation. Here's what a typical latching relay looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Controller.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	385942  
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my 2018 DS it is controlled by the TSC-100 KIB circuit board in the electrical bay (cord reel). When looking in it's up high on the right. It also controls tank level displays and toilet 75%,100% lights (and 100% shut down).
Not sure if KIB is used when you have Silverleaf. Picture doesn't show the water pump relay(it's to the right).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3703.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	385952  
Old 02-07-2023, 10:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is there a fuse pannel in the box with the power pannel that has the 120 volt circuit breakers. That where my 12v water pump fuse is.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:38 AM   #8

OP here, appreciate the helpful comments. I'm in a campground on city water for next few weeks so not an urgent issue.

What I've found so far:

Pressing the pump button in bathroom or kitchen lights up the pump button on the silver leaf display but does not turn on the pump. I am assuming this means a relay somewhere is not doing it's job.

I did find a relay in the panel behind the cord reel. When disconnecting that relay the tank level display in the wet bay still works so no idea what the function of that relay is. No other relays found aside from the chassis panel in bay behind the generator.

If I don't figure it out in a couple weeks I'll have NIRVC figure it out while having some preventive maintenance done before my cross country trip.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:05 PM   #9

Solved! Closing the loop in case I search for this in the future

Hidden behind the plastic panel behind the power reel there was yet another fule panel. One 10 amp fuse present so pulled and BINGO! that was the blown fuse.

Since the new pump is rated for 7 amps / 16 max it would seem while running multiple faucets concurrently the pump will use more than 10 amps. Will pickup a few 15 Amp fuses to give more wiggle room. All wires in that area whether fused with 10 or 20 have same size gauge.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post

Hidden behind the plastic panel behind the power reel there was yet another fule panel. One 10 amp fuse present so pulled and BINGO! that was the blown fuse.

Since the new pump is rated for 7 amps / 16 max it would seem while running multiple faucets concurrently the pump will use more than 10 amps. Will pickup a few 15 Amp fuses to give more wiggle room. All wires in that area whether fused with 10 or 20 have same size gauge.
Generally speaking, replacing a fuse with another of higher rating is a bad idea. The fuse failed because more current was drawn than the wiring, relay, or other devices are rated for. Fuses and circuit breakers are there to protect you and your property. I'd re-think this and wait until you are at NIRVC and ask their opinion.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Generally speaking, replacing a fuse with another of higher rating is a bad idea. The fuse failed because more current was drawn than the wiring, relay, or other devices are rated for. Fuses and circuit breakers are there to protect you and your property. I'd re-think this and wait until you are at NIRVC and ask their opinion.
Agree 100% with this. Fuses should only be replaced with the same rating. Circuits are designed for a max current and the fuse is sized accordingly to prevent a more serious issue.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:13 PM   #12

Quote:

Don't do this. You'll burn out your latching controller in a heartbeat and only continue to have issues. A 16 amp peak pump is much larger than the 8 amp peak pump originally installed. The wiring will handle it but not the connected components.

If you want to run a bigger pump, you need to run a bigger relay powered from its own circuit and triggered by the existing circuit.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:07 PM   #13

Well, I got a a Shurflo 3 GPM @ 7.5 Amp max on order for two reasons

1) the warnings above
2) current pump pushing 5 GPM overwhelms the water heater when on electric only. Did not try Diesel

The pump I replaced was same model I just ordered - Shurflo 3.0 GPM 7.5 Amp max that shows a mfg date of 5/2019. What is expected life for one of these?
Old 02-12-2023, 04:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Well, I got a a Shurflo 3 GPM @ 7.5 Amp max on order for two reasons

1) the warnings above
2) current pump pushing 5 GPM overwhelms the water heater when on electric only. Did not try Diesel

The pump I replaced was same model I just ordered - Shurflo 3.0 GPM 7.5 Amp max that shows a mfg date of 5/2019. What is expected life for one of these?
I don't know what version heater you have, but it probably only gets 60°F heatrise at 1.5gpm... with both the diesel and electric running.

Going to a smaller pump is not going to improve heater output.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, no power, power, pump, water, water pump