RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Newbie questions??

On my 02 Dutch Star DP model 3852, 2 slides with 33k miles on a Cat 330. We have put about 1500 miles on it since we purchased it a couple of months ago. I try to keep my rpms around 1800 and have been getting around 6.5 mpg not towing anything. I have just now found the economy button and cant wait to try that out now that I know how to use it, lol I am also changing out the muffler to a free flowing one and installing a MP-8 Chip with the hopes of being able to up my mileage to at least 9. I know I could probably drop my speed and rpms to say 1600 or so and that would probably help more than anything, lol
We really love the ride and I love how well it drives and handles. I'm lucky that we have a concrete pad here next to the house to keep it yr round.
I have just read in the owners manual, that I was lucky enough to find here on this site. That

a. That if you aren't going to use the coach for more than a week, that you should drain all the water from the coach.

b. That if the coach is to be stored for the winter that all the batteries should be pulled and put on the bench until ready to start using the coach again.

My coach has had the refrg changed to a all electric unit that isnt plugged into a converter. So unless I keep the coach plugged into SP, the refrig will not stay cold.

Does anybody keep their coach plugged into 110 yr round?
Does everybody drain their water if not going to use it for a week or two?

Thanks

Tevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.
I keep my coach plugged in 24/7, I check charge rate and battery electrolyte monthly.
Fresh water, depends on quality, if I fill at my house , I'll leave it on board up to a month. Other sources , I drain as soon as I'm home, sanitize tank and re-fill before travel.
Traveling in CA. where towing speed is limited ( 55) I travel at 60 to allow trans shift to 6th @ 58. I have got as high as 9.5 mpg.
Headwind on the same road the next year , dropped to 7.8 mpg.
If You have a spot to store the batteries , and don't want to leave the coach plugged in, then remove them , but check the charge monthly.
You may find this interesting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat_RV_Performance.pdf (246.3 KB, 21 views)

Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

I have a Damon Astoria that I keep plugged in and never drain the water except twice a year to sanitize the system. We drink the water out of the tap no worries.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tevans,
My coach is used year around. I do keep the coach connected to SP whenever it is parked. Like you I have a pad for the coach next to the house. I drain water from the fresh water tank if the coach is not to move for a couple of weeks or more. Once a year I drain all the water from the WH and the water lines.

It will be a miracle if the economy button on the tranny helps MPG. All the button does is change the shift points. I never use mine. After two years of seeing no results combined with me having to remember when it is on/off, for me, it was not worth the effort. Not sure what the RMP would be for you, but I cruise at 60 MPH (about 1750-1800 RPM). Do manual downshifting for mountain climbs to keep the RPM at 1800-2000. The speed is whatever it happens to be. I'm moving about 37K lbs down the road and get 7.5 to 8.5 MPG. I've already tried the flow through muffler. Unless you like the "manly" sound, save your money and pass of this change. I've never done the chip so I have no comment. The one thing I have done is use Stanadyne Performance Formula. Go to Stanadyne Additives and check it out. For me, the Performance Formula gave me 3/4 to 1 MPG. This means before using Performance formula I was in the MPG range mentioned in your post. Consider purchasing enough for several thousand miles and give it a try. Speed, terrain and wind direction will determine MPG more than anything else. Weight will also have some influence on MPG. However, the weight much change quite a bit to notice the change.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

If you have the coach plugged in to shore power there is no need to remove the batteries.
However, if you do need to remove the batteries for any reason such as replacement or servicing the battery box etc. make sure you take some good photos of the connections and make a drawing before removal. It WILL save you a few headaches.

I have mine stored inside, plugged in 24/7. I check the converter voltage regularly to ensure it is within 13.6-13.7 VDC. Higher voltage will result in excessive gassing off from the batteries and require adding distilled water often to keep them from going dry.
I have added 4 oz. of Mineral Oil to each cell (you will find a whole bunch of discussion on this subject in this forum) and I top off the batteries with distilled water about every six months or so.

As far as water, I don't drain mine Except, if I have been out to a Campground that uses well water. Some well water sources will cause a reaction with the Anode Rod in the Hot Water tank and you will get an extremely obnoxious odour from the hot water next time you use it after storage for a couple weeks or so.

I remove the house filter element for replacement at least once per year. With the element removed, I add a few ounces of Bleach to the canister, install it without the element, and run city water into the Fresh Water Tank to about 3/4 full. Then, with the city water off, I run water from the tank using the on board pump, through all systems in the coach to sanitize.

Once that's done, drain the tank and run city water through everything and flush the tank once or twice. Install a new filter and away you go for the year.
If you have filters under the sink and on an Ice Maker, you should swing the valves for these into by-pass so you don't run bleached water through them. I usually replace these annually also.

If you choose not to winterize, you should leave the slides IN during storage (less space to heat) and the furnace on set to around 45-48 with the basement heat switch turned on. I would also get a little Ceramic 1500 Watt Heater inside to supplement the furnace.

MPG is always a discussion among Motorhome Owners. Mine has an ISC Cummins 350 HP. When I first bought it (used) I averaged 6.6 MPG in the first 5000 Miles.
Then, I had to replace a cracked Exhaust Manifold so I removed the complete Exhaust System and installed a Banks Kit, new Exhaust Outlet Pipe off the Turbo to the Muffler and new OEM Muffler.
Now, running at 60-65 MPH, my average fuel consumption is 8.3 MPG. This was my average this summer over 6000 miles on our trip to Alaska where we encountered some steep terrain, varying speeds and driving conditions. Using the so called Econo Mode makes no difference IMO.

Hope this helps, these things are a learning experience. Everyday I find something new. This forum can be very helpful since chances are someone has been there, done that.
I have a pretty good stash of drawings and other information I have accumulated so if you run into trouble, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to help as best it can. Don't be shy about calling Newmar or the chassis Manufacturer either. Just have the coach S/N and or VIN Number handy. They will be very helpful.
Good Luck, enjoy your coach. These are one of the finest coaches on the road, IMHO.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevans View Post
On my 02 Dutch Star DP model 3852, 2 slides with 33k miles on a Cat 330. We have put about 1500 miles on it since we purchased it a couple of months ago. I try to keep my rpms around 1800 and have been getting around 6.5 mpg not towing anything. I have just now found the economy button and cant wait to try that out now that I know how to use it, lol I am also changing out the muffler to a free flowing one and installing a MP-8 Chip with the hopes of being able to up my mileage to at least 9. I know I could probably drop my speed and rpms to say 1600 or so and that would probably help more than anything, lol
We really love the ride and I love how well it drives and handles. I'm lucky that we have a concrete pad here next to the house to keep it yr round.
I have just read in the owners manual, that I was lucky enough to find here on this site. That

a. That if you aren't going to use the coach for more than a week, that you should drain all the water from the coach. I have never heard of this before. Fresh water will stay fresh in the tank for weeks, maybe even a month or so. We stay at one place in our summer resort for several months and only occasionally will use the water in the tank and will use that water on our trip home. We do not drink the water from the tank, only bottled water.

b. That if the coach is to be stored for the winter that all the batteries should be pulled and put on the bench until ready to start using the coach again. Maybe you should do this if you live in an area that has really harsh freezing weather for weeks on in. We live in the desert and I never remove our batteries.

My coach has had the refrg changed to a all electric unit that isnt plugged into a converter. So unless I keep the coach plugged into SP, the refrig will not stay cold. I'm sorry...do you mean that the "electric" refrg is a "residential fridge"? And if that's the case, I think you mean "inverter" that converts 12vdc to 120vac. I don't see a question in your statement.

Does anybody keep their coach plugged into 110 yr round? Yep, ours is always plugged into 120vac year around except when we are on the road, and even then, the inverter is on providing 120vac to all required items.

Does everybody drain their water if not going to use it for a week or two? Nope, not me. As mentioned above, we keep the same water in the fresh water tank all during our summer months.

Thanks
Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #7

Thanks one and all for your quick responses. I was hoping to hear that I can keep it plugged in yr round and since we dont drink the water from the bus only bottled water also. I do plan on maintaining the water levels in the batteries also.
There is a definite learning curve going on here but I am learning fast lol

Thanks again
Tevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This information was all covered in this post.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags