Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Newbie with a couple of questions

Good day everyone,
I recently purchased a 1996 Newmar Mountain Aire 4059 DP. I have never owned a motorhome before so it is all new to me. I have most of the manuals which came with the coach outlining the various specifics, functions, etc... of the onboard systems. One of the issues with the coach is that the PO did not maintain the house batteries so they ended up freezing. Of coarse when I charged them they bulged and leaked. I bought a new set and will be installing them soon.

Three questions:
1) I have the Magnum ME2012 inverter / charger with the optional control module. There is a rocker switch located to the right of the module. For the life of me I cannot figure out what it is for. (photo attached)

2) There is an on / off switch on the front control panel above the passenger area. Have no idea what this is for. (photo attached)

3) There is an on / off switch located inside the corner cabinet of the toilet area in the coach.The wires run from the switch, across the inside top, run down the inside right side and pass through the floor. Again, I cannot figure out what this is for. (photo attached)

As I stated before this is all new to me and I cannot find these in any manuals included with the coach or an internet search.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	54663   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	54664  

Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	54665   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	54666  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2, Dean
Here is a Brochure and 1997 Owners Guide for you oldest we have.

The switch with the red led is for the electric element of your Water heater and you may have a small switch on face of WH also for the electric element if its a Suburban WH.

All the information you need for you Magnum inverter/converter you will find in the QT's # 3 link.
About 1/2 way down.

That switch in bathroom maybe for heating pads under your water and holding tanks below in compartments.

You may have a winter option, being from B.C., for coach when built and would include added insulation for coach and there maybe a 12V fan in a foil tube in water tank bay that will operate when furnace operates and there would be a switch for fan on the water bay panel marked fan.

In my signature below are three links that will relate to your Newmar and one link in them you will need if your going to change your batteries.--12V battery system

If your batteries froze or if you can not get them up to full charge with a stand alone battery charge, which would be faster for recharge than you will need the new batteries which are your house batteries. Check water levels of batteries and fill with distilled water to the bottom of vent hole.
Your two chassis engine batteries maybe OK if you are starting your engine.

When you change batteries make sure you take pictures tag all cables, draw a diagram as to the position of all battery posts related to + & - posts so you will have a easy change out of your batteries.

Make a special note of any small wiring terminations on your battery post and where they will be put back.

If you can give me the build number of your coach or the Vin# we can find out possibly what was built into coach if not than you can contact Newmar and they will supply that information for you.
You have allot to digest I and others will be here to answer any further questions enjoy the forums and congratulation with your new to you MADP and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #3

Thanks 007,
The links are a great resource. The 97 manual is much better than the one I received with the coach. I figured out the rocker switch beside the module. It controls a small external fan inside the bay where the inverter / charger is located. I put 4 new house batteries in the coach which made a huge difference. The charging amps only fluctuate slightly. With the old batteries the charging amps would be all over the place. I traced the wires from the switch in the bathroom closet. They run down into the bay which houses the water tanks, pump, etc... I didn't see any pads under the tanks and it appears the wires run toward the pump. I will have to get in there with a small mirror to know for sure.

Thanks again for your help. I can't wait to get out and do some camping in the coach.

Dean

Tags