Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #1

Newbies on first trip with slide that won't extend

Hi all. Hoping for some troubleshooting ideas here. This is our first trip in our new-to-us 2004 Dutch Star 3810. We moved to a new camp ground yesterday, put down the stablizers and extended the front slide with no problem. However, the rear slide will not extend. When the button is pushed, the green light comes on and a clicking noise comes from the controller. We have some tools on board and DH has the volt meter out poking around but we really don't know what we're doing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #2

Is it electric or hydraulic?

IF electric, start the engine and see if the slide extends. Low voltage can cause the glitch.

IF hydraulic, and IF the MH is level, check the fluid level in the reservoir. Then start the engine and do the same thing. Slides consume power, and your batteries might be marginal>

Given that the rear slide is the smallest, let's assume that the problem will be an easy fix!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

It's electric. Started the motor and nothing happens, green light flashed but doesn't stay on. There is an egnition wire going to the controller that may be an over ride. I get 13.2 v going to controler. When I hit he button I get 12.9v on the motor 1 and motor 2 wires. Thanks for your quick response!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suggest as an early diagnostic step, you swap controllers with a known good one.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #5

Take a hammer and hit the locks when pushing the switch.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Update: I was down by motor checking voltage. Getting 13.2v down there as well. I figure, yes the motor is getting power. So I resort to my primitive instinct and give the motor a little tap and it engages on the retract cycle! Hit the switch again and it extends. Cycled it a couple times and no problems!
My question now is: Is this the beginning of a motor failure? Are motor failures very common? Any insight on slide motors is appreciated.

I thought about swapping with the front controller, but they are different models. The front has the voice module and the wire connectors didn't match. Do people carry replacement controllers? Seems like a rather expensive item for a spare parts bin. I will be getting the gigantic wrenches required for a manual extend/reract.

Any way thanks for some quick responses. I have a feeling iRV2 is going to be very prominent in our future.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #7

My experience has been the motors and controllers are pretty reliable. Most of my problems have been with the sensors in the lock arm, the sensors will get stuck and need to be freed up, generally a tap on the lock arm when it is in the "unlocked" position with a hammer will free up the sensor in the lock arm, there is also a sensor on the slide that is activated when the slide is closed telling the controller which way to run the motor. Now that you have got it running you shouldn't have any more problems for a while. All the controller does is monitor and directs the flow of current and it starts when you mash the button inside the coach. If you continue to have problems get the operation instructions for the controller and get a mental picture of what and when the controller see's current and what it's telling the motors to do.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

I dont think we have the same locking arms? Ours are manual locks, nothing auto about them.
As I look into this more, I find that when the slide gets to the end of it range, in or out, the amps drawn by motor increases as it tries to keep moving. The controller senses this and shuts down. Theres a pot on the controller where you can adjust.
Im not sure if there are any limit switches anywhere else.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nene View Post
I dont think we have the same locking arms? Ours are manual locks, nothing auto about them.
As I look into this more, I find that when the slide gets to the end of it range, in or out, the amps drawn by motor increases as it tries to keep moving. The controller senses this and shuts down. Theres a pot on the controller where you can adjust.
Im not sure if there are any limit switches anywhere else.
You are right if your arms are manual you probably don't have any "sensors" in the lock arm. you are also correct about the current draw and the pot switches ie if the motor continues to run after the slide meets the limit of travel or doesn't move all the way in or out adjusting the pot switches should solve that issue. As far as any other "limit" switches, I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if you didn't have one on the slide that matches up with something on the side of the motorhome to let the controller know which way to turn the motor (in our out). As long as you are working I wouldn't worry about it too much but if it happens again this is just something else to consider.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #10

Thanks Harleyman
I'm hoping is was just a ghost in the machine that won't come back.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum Nene.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
In my signature below are links that will lead you to links like this one in QT's 1 & 2 that will explain your slide systems.
Do not adjust the pot on slide controller if not necessary the increase or decrease may damage your slide or furniture attached.
There was some problems with the push button slide switch not resetting when finger was removed but right now you seem to be OK.
When you extend your slides have the shore line plugged in because the motors require a good 12v's to operate and will not put drain on your house batteries.
All your batteries are being maintain for charge by your Bird System in coach. Another link found in QT's # 3 below.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote