Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2022, 09:50 AM   #1

Newer Dutch Star or Older King Aire?

Starting to research a full-time Motorhome and considering either Dutch Star or one of the Aire's. I have never owned a motorhome only 5th Wheel and Travel Trailers. I like smooth comfortable ride and will be traveling probably 25,000 miles per year. If you are trying to stay within a budget would you get the newest Dutch Star within that budget or an older King Aire, Mountain Aire, etc.

Also throwing ideas about Newell or Prevost....but keep coming back to New Mar....not sure why.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Travel Safe!

Shoe
ShoeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #2

Knowing more about your intended use makes recommendations easier….

For example 25,000 miles per year on a motorhome is WAY WAY above average….this is probably moving campsites every couple or three days….again okay for a month or two, or a entertainer bus doing road gigs, but not what any person I have ever met wants to do full time living. Think instead of staying a minimum of a week or more at a campsite, and using the car you pull behind the motorhome to do all your siteseeing in the area.

What floor plan do you want? Are you a family with full time children needing bunk beds? Or just two of you? Do you want bath and a half bath? VERY popular option these days (indispensable for us) and not as prevalent on older model years of any coach.

Do you like lots of slide outs? Full wall slide? Again…..not as common on older models.

Do you like lots of “whiz bang” electronics, touch screens, control by phone, etc ? Nope, not on older models.

Some of the 600Hp - 650Hp Cummins ISX engines had a major design issue with the head, and EGR causing valve failures, this engine was used on the older “luxury” coaches…..definitely something to be aware of. The 450Hp Cummins used on DutchStar has been a reliable workhorse for many years.

If just ride quality is your main concern, my thoughts are Foretravel, Newell, Prevost are going to beat the chassis used on any Newmar….. Newell even has the same electric assist steering (trade name “Comfort Drive” on Newmar).

Entegra Cornerstone is also a contender to look at for your use…

What is your budget? You say “newer DutchStar” … so my “wild ass guess” is $300K ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Pasdad.

I'm new to what to expect on annual RV miles full timing. I thought 25K miles would be a conservative amount.....but after your response....I realized that we would not need to move that often. We would probably stay at an area for 2 wks to a month at a time is my guess. I guess I was comparing to our last trip when we put on 3500 miles in 11 days seeing the Fab 5 National Parks in Utah (Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef)

We have no kids left at home or need for bunks. Looking for comfort when travelling. Don't need any TV's.....in all the years of having campers (30 at this point)....have never turned a TV on in the camper....and only time a TV is on in the Sticks and Bricks is SuperBowl Sunday otherwise those are not needed. Not many RV's come without them though so if they are there...so be it. In other words, don't need much entertainment on the outside or inside of coach. Nice sound system when driving would be something appreciated though.

I don't care about fancy electronics as it makes life miserable when they don't work but we certainly would like conveniences such as comfortable temp in coach always and refrigerator working regardless of temp and humidity and whether we have full hookups or boondocking.

As far as how many slides.....we will typically only be in the rig if weather is bad (and not doing anything away from rig), driving or sleeping. Everything else we will do outside of the rig either at the fire pit, picnic table, or under the awning with outside chairs.

I agree that we will probably put more miles on the TOAD as once we get to a site we won't stay there but rather explore the area until we've seen enough and move on to the next "bucket list" site.

I'm guessing a $300K budget is what we would look at. And like everything.....your budget gets extended when you see "better" stuff and what you think you have to have.

I have looked at No Slide Prevost Liberty Conversions and thought they would work perfectly as well.....don't know how the better half would like sitting behind me and so far from the windshield though travelling down the road. By the way......she will never ever drive it or want to even know how to drive it.

I am essentially looking for a "nice hotel" on wheels with a view. Something that after driving maybe 500 miles I can get out of the coach and not feel like I was just run over by a truck. You can't get many nice views from typical hotel rooms and we like having our own bed and stuff with us. Having the ability to sit outside and enjoy the outdoors can't be comapared to anything you get stuck with in a hotel.

Also, there isn't any electronic screen that can compete or compare with the big 120" wrap around screen that is sitting in front of you driving down the road. We are just ready to start enjoying that view in comfort.

Enjoy!

Shoe
Old 06-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #4

Hi Shoe,

Well then after hearing more about what you want, here are some more thoughts……

You might want to stick with DutchStar years from about 2012-2015 to get a minimum of electronics that are prone to break. The more luxury lines had more electronics, not always a good thing.

Our 2013 Dutchstar strikes a good middle ground…. It has all the modern conveniences, washer/dryer,dishwasher,hydronic heating,endless hot water,10K diesel generator,convection microwave, bath + half-bath, king size sleep number bed, walk-in closet, premium macerating toilets, full wall slide, opposing slides, bedroom slide…..but all the controls are “real” switches….no touch screens or multiplex lighting controls to break.

Everyone thinks they will spend all good weather time outside…..but that is not really what happens when you become “full time” for most people I have met (me included).

Full time is just that…..you are no longer on “vacation”, OR “camping”….. you are just living your life everyday in your tiny house on wheels. That means whatever you did while in your sticks and bricks house, is most likely how you will continue to live your life. The luxurious motorhome allows you to continue this lifestyle….. come inside and put your feet up in your recliner, watch TV if that’s what you want to do, play cards at the table, etc….

I don’t put up with bugs, mosquitoes, wind, annoying smoke in my face, heat, cold, strong wind, etc…because I don’t have to. The “camping experience” isn’t just a short term thing I put up with because I know it ends “soon” and it will be back to work on Monday…….

Living everyday in the luxury of a motorhome means I can go outside and sit if the weather is really nice, but most of the time the seats inside are FAR more comfortable than the camping chairs outside.

Sorry to impart so much philosophy on “full-time” life, but I think it helps to recognize what will ultimately make you happiest.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:23 PM   #5

Go with a Newell, Marathon, or Liberty
At this point in time, I’d pick the Liberty
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:28 PM   #6

As someone who just last month bought a 2012 King Aire I might be biased.

I like the 600HP and the electronics. Nice to be able to turn lights on from multiple locations - somewhat like 3 way Switches in our Sticks and Bricks.

When I was shopping had a Foretravel, Prevost, Dutch Star and the King Aire on the list. Only the King Aire replied. Seller let me park my old Phaeton in his driveway for the weekend while I got to know him and the coach.

I'm a bit neurotic or maybe OCD - the sound of AC drives me crazy. In the King Aire it is nearly silent.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #7

Hey Ken thanks for the response.

Did you consider pre DEF units or was that not a factor?
Old 06-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had a Dutch Star and now a London Aire. The DS was on a Spartan chassis and the LA in on a Freightliner chassis. In term of ride I don’t see a difference. Both are quiet. The LA with 605hp is a beast in the mountains. The DS got to the top also.

There is a considerable mount of electronics as you go up in class. Some of it is nice some is a waste of money. Because electronics can be problematic and expensive to repair, keeping it more r rumple might be a good way to go.

Because you’re going to almost live in it the higher end models can make for a lot of comfort.

Either way I’m sure you’re going to be happy Newmar’s coaches are sweet!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeDad View Post
Hey Ken thanks for the response.

Did you consider pre DEF units or was that not a factor?
I would have liked pre DEF if all else we're the same. One less thing to worry about.

My previous coach was a 2005 Phaeton with a Cat 350. No DEF and much less power. So far it is no big deal to have DEF but of course it hasn't caused me issues. If / when issues come up I may not like DEF. I view it a bit like Lipitor and Pepcid - a bit annoying to take 'em but the benefits are worth it.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeDad View Post
Starting to research a full-time Motorhome and considering either Dutch Star or one of the Aire's. I have never owned a motorhome only 5th Wheel and Travel Trailers. I like smooth comfortable ride and will be traveling probably 25,000 miles per year. If you are trying to stay within a budget would you get the newest Dutch Star within that budget or an older King Aire, Mountain Aire, etc.

Also throwing ideas about Newell or Prevost....but keep coming back to New Mar....not sure why.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Travel Safe!

Shoe
Three things I will throw out in addition to what has been said.

I personally wouldn’t worry much about the def. Your problems with def will be minimal and on the other hand, there could be problems associated with an aged coach just because of age. So you could have issues either way.

Coming from a fifth wheel and let’s say going to a Newmar, the ac quiet factor will be like day and night difference. My ac’s are quiet compared to our Heartland coach.

Not that it’s the most important thing, but I think it’s something that is overlooked quite often and that is how the coach is configured when the slides are in on travel day. Can you access the rest room easily, does the refrigerator have good access and in general, are you able to move around comfortably.

Good luck on your search for the perfect coach. It can be fun.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:23 AM   #11

I just jumped on RV Trader and put in Newmar between $450,000 and $550,000.

First coach to pop up was a 2021 DS for 465,000 the 2nd was a 2017 KA for $520,000. Both of these are at the same dealership.

If it was me I'd get the KA, but that's only my opinion.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I just jumped on RV Trader and put in Newmar between $450,000 and $550,000.

First coach to pop up was a 2021 DS for 465,000 the 2nd was a 2017 KA for $520,000. Both of these are at the same dealership.

If it was me I'd get the KA, but that's only my opinion.

OP said budget was $300K
Old 06-24-2022, 09:58 AM   #13

I would look for an older Dutch Star. 2015 and up should be right in your budget. All electric, dependable and powerful drivetrain. An older DS checks all your boxes and is a great value.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:31 PM   #14

Unless you are really into the glitzy stuff the Dutch Star is hard to beat for the money. It is Newmar's sweet spot. Our Dutch Star literally drives like a big ole' station wagon. I dont do more than 250 miles a day any more but my body isnt as tired as my mind by then. Oldtimers has started to affect me a little.

The Newell or Prevost may be more robust but you will have to look at some older models. Not saying anything good or bad about the older stuff.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, dutch star