Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem #1 - the fascia is bowed in. If I continue with this I will have to remove a longer section of plywood to hold it straight. I was only planning to notch it enough to clear the chair.

I'll sleep on it - I can always glue the fascia back on.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #86

Knightstorm

When I did mine, I removed the fascia from the plywood. I then went back and cut the plywood about 4 inches down from where the fascia joins the horizontal fascia that runs across the top of the slide. Then with both pieces removed, I glued them back together and installed the clips. This method, while it was more time consuming, allowed me to keep the factory joint between the vertical and horizontal fascia pieces. Although the piece you remove is heavier, it is manageable. It rides back on the bed, and with it removed, the seat has full movement. This picture doesn't show the clips or the wire loom that is installed over the front edge of the metal strip. You may also have to cut off 1/8 -1/4 inch off the bottom of the now removeable vertical piece to make it easier to remove and install. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	163177  
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar 2903. Drivers seat won't go back far enough

I did something very similar, but I made a vertical cut in the plywood and removed 2/3 of its width. I ran into some saw trouble so the vertical cut in the ply is nowhere near what I wanted in quality, but it is only visible when the trim is removed.

The aluminum strip in the back of the removed piece of ply locks the assembly in place and the magnetic catches keep it from sliding off (although the fit is tight enough without them). Slide right and off to remove and reverse the procedure to replace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3145.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	163457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3147.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	163458  

Name:	IMG_3148.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	163459  

Old 05-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
I did something very similar, but I made a vertical cut in the plywood and removed 2/3 of its width. I ran into some saw trouble so the vertical cut in the ply is nowhere near what I wanted in quality, but it is only visible when the trim is removed.

The aluminum strip in the back of the removed piece of ply locks the assembly in place and the magnetic catches keep it from sliding off (although the fit is tight enough without them). Slide right and off to remove and reverse the procedure to replace.

I'm not seeing what the aluminum strip attached to the cut out piece is attaching to. Can you show that a little clearer? Thanks
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #89

Also how much room do you really gain with the small table at the lower half of the slide? Assume it only helps in reclining a little further?
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar 2903. Drivers seat won't go back far enough

The aluminum is screwed to the back of the cut piece of plywood. When the trim is in place the aluminum extends behind the fixed piece of ply (still attached to the slide) and locks the piece in place.

This is how much legroom I can pick up:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3150.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	163466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3151.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	163467  

Old 05-29-2017, 10:31 PM   #91

That's a nice fix. And you don't really need that much space to be comfortable, at least not in my opinion. I tried it at a dealer with the slide closed. I could get the seat into a position that was acceptable...not optimal but acceptable. And I'm a big guy.

Just a couple of inches would have been enough. I still consider the whole thing a design flaw but it's not that hard to get the 2-3 inches most drivers would need.

Honestly, Newmar could have easily modified the fascia, maybe done exactly what many in the thread have done by making it removable, trimming the wood and mental behind, etc. They moved, or optimized, the slide and near as I can tell looking at the 2018 floor plans, give up anything in the process.

Not really on topic, but that speak to their quality and commitment.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took a close at mine, and the slide could be shortened almost 2 inches by eliminating the space at the sides of the couch. I have no idea what Newmar did.

I thought about hinges, but the fascia trim is 1/2" MDF (milled down to its profile and will not hold screws well.

My neighbor would have replaced the fascia and underlying plywood with one piece of maple, allowing use of a hidden (European style) hinge design. He has the equipment and skills to do the job -I don't.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #93

Quote:
The aluminum is screwed to the back of the cut piece of plywood. When the trim is in place the aluminum extends behind the fixed piece of ply (still attached to the slide) and locks the piece in place.

This is how much legroom I can pick up:
I was lucky in a way. Our coach doesn't have a table on the front end of the slide. I would have been very hesitant to use my method on your coach. At the end of the day, any method that will give you more legroom or allow the seat to recline a bit, is a good one.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I have the same issue with our 2014 Bay Star. I had thought about installing a hinge on that piece of trim. That way it could be folded away from the driver's seat during travel, and then returned to it's proper position when set up. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has issues with the seat placement conflicting with the slide.

Did as you said and it works GREAT!
I'm 6' 4" and I have plenty of room.
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #95

Quote:
Looking at the pictures, the trim piece is attached to plywood. You may be able to cut and hinge the underlying plywood, with the trim piece folding towards the drivers side wall. If that approach works and gets you enough additional space, you won't need the Velcro. I also saw (or read about) someone who also trimmed the metal flange on the slide as well as the wood trim and plywood to pick up even more legroom.

I have a Bay Star coming in March or April and may end up trying something like this if I need more legroom.

Pry the trim piece off the plywood. Cut an "in" arch full length( away from seat), in the plywood. Attach trim piece with full length piano hinge. When you drive, just swing the trim out of the way. After set up, swing closed to Velcro in place.
If you are tall like me, I put in a 2-3" higher seat riser and that sealed the deal. Up higher and way back. 100%
better. The 2018's addressed and fixed this issue.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Photos: First one shows the board removed for travel. There is a long piece of nylon split loom over the sharp edge of the aluminum. Photo 2 shows how much seat travel is added. Photo 3 is a little hard to see (black on black) but it shows the drawer clips screwed to the back of the trim board. The last one is looking at the back of the trim board showing the lock assembly.

My wife asked for the improvement - I was just going to live with it - and our salesman said they had done it once before. Good job Midway!

A full length piano hinge allows you to swing the trim out of the way and you don't have the piece laying around
Old 07-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I looked at the slide in or 2014 Bay Star. It looks like there is the wood trim piece, and then under that is particle board. The particle board is a continuous piece from the bottom of the slide all the way up to and under the top piece of moulding. If I pull the vertical fascia off, I still have the particle board to deal with. To get down to the piece where your latches are installed.

Gonna have to call Newmar to see if I can remove the Sienna Maple vertical piece as well as the majority of the particle board and not have a detramental effect to the stability of the slide out. If I can, then I will make the moulding and the particle board a one piece assembly, and then install the latches.

You can pry the trim piece off and make a inward cut in the plywood underneath and reattach the trim with a full length piano hinge. Swing the trim out of the way when driving. When set up, swing it back to Velcro
squares spaced on the plywood. Works like a charm. If you are tall, put a riser under the drivers seat and you're golden.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #98

Mr old biker. My vertical trim was attached with staples. I used a hack saw blade to remove mine. With the blade alone, slid it behind the trim at the top. Using a sawing motion as I slid it to the bottom. You will receive resistance where staples exist. You don’t see the staples from the front because the trim is attached through the plywood backer board. If you want to discuss the details of the mod I performed, call me at (407) 955-0949. Ranger John
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, newmar