Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 11:24 PM   #1

Newmar 3124

My wife and I are looking for a small class A that is diesel powered. We felt we needed a diesel because we would be towing a small car. Lots of the places we want to go are in the mountains and we thought a diesel especially a turbo diesel would make the climb up the mountain towing much easily and also going down the mountain with exhaust braking and air brakes would be safer. Our budget is about 120k we looked at the Tiffin Breeze and liked them but the ones in our price range had the MaxForce diesel. I read that there have been issues with that engine. We like the Newmar 3124 a lot but it is gas powered. We may have to rethink getting a diesel. Are our concerns about towing valid ? Would a V10 Ford be able to tow safely in the mountains? Does Newmar make a same diesel that I might consider in our price range?
CircleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 11:31 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Newmar Diesels start at 33' and ^^^money. At the $120k price point, they are all gas with the new 7.3L V-8, which will still tow 5,000 lbs.

FWIW, negotiated prices can be close to 25-27% off of MSRP...
+/- $120k.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If you are looking for Newmar diesel in that price range you will have to look at the used market. Look at Ventana and Ventana LE. You will find a Cummins engine and Allison transmission. Newmar is a more expensive product but they build a good product.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #4

We have a 2016 Baystar 3124 and tow a Honda Fit just fine. We also have the 6 speed transmission which I understand is a real plus. 2016 was the first year.
We've been to Grand Canyon, Utah NP's, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone with it. It's a little slow up the hills (and a little noisy) but works just fine. What I really like is the engine braking for the down side. Hit the brake and the transmission downshifts.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
If you are looking for Newmar diesel in that price range you will have to look at the used market. Look at Ventana and Ventana LE. You will find a Cummins engine and Allison transmission. Newmar is a more expensive product but they build a good product.

I’ll jump in to second that. We are loving our Ventana LE and it tows our 2014 Honda CRV just fine. I elected to go Diesel. Personal preference. Quiet- engine is 37’ behind us.
Yes, you’ll be in the used market, but if you are concerned about surprises, even after a thorough inspection, get a full warranty from Good Sam (I did and I read the fine print and I had my Freightliner shop look the policy over. Covers everything from the front bumper to the refrigerator to the engine.) I took a $1000 deductible to keep the cost easy to swallow.
Enjoy and best of luck to you.
Tom
OceanTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

My experience is go for Deisel for sure if can swing the added $. The v12 in mountains and towing so loud and not well powered. I had the 26’ Sunstar originally.

Now have Ventana 3426 and handles all very well.

The front engine noise, the torque of engine and the overall handling is 10x better in a well designed small diesel !
MCRV Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #7

I’ve had our gas powered 31 foot 2017 Baystar Sport with Ford V10 flat towing a Honda CRV throughout the West and Rocky Mountains. No issues at all.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #8

We tow a Jeep Wrangler with our Bay Star Sport and have had no complaints. As noted above there are a few passes in the Rocky Mountains that will slow you down. I’ve been down to 45mph in the truck lane a time or two but it’s only for a few minutes and I just go with it. Diesel pushers are quieter and the torque would be welcome but they cost more up front and maintenance is more costly too. But in the end only you can decide what will meet your needs. Good luck and enjoy he shopping.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanTom View Post
I’ll jump in to second that. We are loving our Ventana LE and it tows our 2014 Honda CRV just fine. I elected to go Diesel. Personal preference. Quiet- engine is 37’ behind us.
Yes, you’ll be in the used market, but if you are concerned about surprises, even after a thorough inspection, get a full warranty from Good Sam (I did and I read the fine print and I had my Freightliner shop look the policy over. Covers everything from the front bumper to the refrigerator to the engine.) I took a $1000 deductible to keep the cost easy to swallow.
Enjoy and best of luck to you.
Tom
The warranty is an awesome idea thanks! I am going to check that out. Do you know now long the Ventana has been in production? I appreciate for time thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #10

2017 Baystar 3124

We bought our custom ordered 2017 Baystar 3124 and took delivery in July 2016. We have been full timing for 2.5 years and have covered a lot of the country and love our rig. Lots of upgrades and if interested in knowing more private message me. We tow a Mini Cooper convertible. Always thought we might upgrade when we returned from our Alaska trip in 2019 though we had it set-up perfect now with all the upgrades and it works well for us! Like every rig have had things w had had to change or upgrade or modify though we are very happy for now...
REVJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #11

Here is a good LINK with many threads on modifications for a pretty similar model to the 3124. Bay Star 3113 Owner Mods
Old 01-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #12

Hello Circle L,
Sorry, I don’t know about the production time line, but it’s been in the Newmar line up for many years. You can get brochures from the company web site going way back.
You can filter on year and see units of most any age using a web site like RVTrader.
OceanTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #13

We also have the 2020 Baystar 3124 and absolutely love it. We have the residential fridge and extra batteries plus a few other options. We were in the same boat, as we were looking in the 100K range for either a used diesel or new gas unit. We quickly gave up on the diesel as they were 150K and up for what we wanted. Instead got a nice 2020 Baystar for 99K. I think list price was somewhere north of 175K. Took a few trips, learned how to use everything and have really enjoyed it. Just don’t forget to try the awning. I thought I did when I picked it up...but must have forgotten to as it was DOA. Getting my local place to check it and fix it. Oh and don’t forget to check the house batteries as well. Mine were all DOA. Dealer paid for replacements. Good luck.
JP308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP308 View Post
We also have the 2020 Baystar 3124 and absolutely love it. We have the residential fridge and extra batteries plus a few other options. We were in the same boat, as we were looking in the 100K range for either a used diesel or new gas unit. We quickly gave up on the diesel as they were 150K and up for what we wanted. Instead got a nice 2020 Baystar for 99K. I think list price was somewhere north of 175K. Took a few trips, learned how to use everything and have really enjoyed it. Just don’t forget to try the awning. I thought I did when I picked it up...but must have forgotten to as it was DOA. Getting my local place to check it and fix it. Oh and don’t forget to check the house batteries as well. Mine were all DOA. Dealer paid for replacements. Good luck.
Thank you for your comments. What dealer did you get a new Baystar for $99K from? That is about what the asking price for a 2 to 3 year one is . Have agreat day!

Thanks
Curt

Tags
newmar