Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

Newmar Baystar - 1000 Watt Inverter

I'm not having any luck getting my questions answered from the Newmar dealer or from Newmar customer service. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I recently purchased a 2017 Newmar Baystar, floor plan 3401. I can not get any of the tv's, the microwave oven or the electrical outlets to work when I'm on the 1000 watt inverter. All of these items work fine when using the generator or shore power. The residential style refrigerator works fine off the inverter. I've tried resetting the bathroom GFI outlet, the GFI outlet above the kitchen sink and also reset the inverter itself. I've also switched off then on all the breaker switches located in the bathroom. The (4) house batteries are charged to 13.6 volts and there are no fault codes on the inverter.

I'm not sure if the coach is designed/manufactured this way (to not run these devices off of the inverter) or if I have an electrical problem with the coach.

I'd appreciate any ideas.
RVUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #2

My guess is your 1000 watt inverter is only wired to power your residential fridge. To invert power to other circuits you would need a higher wattage inverter as the fridge will consume the 1000.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVUT View Post
I'm not having any luck getting my questions answered from the Newmar dealer or from Newmar customer service. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I recently purchased a 2017 Newmar Baystar, floor plan 3401. I can not get any of the tv's, the microwave oven or the electrical outlets to work when I'm on the 1000 watt inverter. All of these items work fine when using the generator or shore power. The residential style refrigerator works fine off the inverter. I've tried resetting the bathroom GFI outlet, the GFI outlet above the kitchen sink and also reset the inverter itself. I've also switched off then on all the breaker switches located in the bathroom. The (4) house batteries are charged to 13.6 volts and there are no fault codes on the inverter.

I'm not sure if the coach is designed/manufactured this way (to not run these devices off of the inverter) or if I have an electrical problem with the coach.

I'd appreciate any ideas.
I also have a 2017, 3401. Yep, the inverter is wired directly only to the fridge. I don't know if the fridge needs the full 1000 watts or if there is an "margin" available for say a single TV.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi

This is standard:
"1000 Watt Inverter Run to Drain Lift Pump & TV’s on
3333, 3403, and 3516 Floorplans"

This is optional:
"1000 Watt Inverter Ran to TV’s*"

"Frigidaire® 10 Cf. Refrigerator with Dedicated 1000 Watt
Pure Sine Inverter & 2 Extra Batteries"
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #5

Looks like you needed to order the second inverter.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

Has anybody upgraded their Newmar Baystar 3401 from a 1000 watt inverter to a 2000 watt inverter? What's involved in the upgrade? I was told it's more than just swapping out the 1000 watt for a 2000 watt. Could involve wiring.
RVUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Bay Star 3113 I ordered 2 inverters. The first inverter is part of the option with 2 additional batteries and the residential refrigerator. That inverter only powers the refrigerator. The second inverter is a 1000 watt run to the two televisions and associated A/V cabinets. The microwave will not run on a 1,000 watt inverter even if it were connected to one.

I don't believe a single 2,000 watt inverter is offered on the Bay Star.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RVUT,
Additional circuits need to be connected to the new inverter. Figure out what additional things you really need to be powered by an inverter. A 1K inverter provides 8.3 AMPS. 2K provides 16.6 AMPS, etc. Therefore, you can have an additional inverter or a larger inverter. Remember the inverter has a breaker on it corresponding to the AMPS it can provide. Whatever you connect to the inverter will only have the AMPS the inverter is capable of providing.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want 120 volt power for the microwave and other appliances from your batteries, you will need a Magnum MS2812 inverter/charger, pair of 30 Amp cables to connect the RV's power panel to the MS2812 and the inverter output to a subpanel that is rewired to 120 volt outlets. Shop around to find a skilled tech who can install it I'm a manner that meets RVIA and electrical codes. It will be expensive.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #10

Pretty much what everyone else said. The 1000w inverter to the TV's and a few outlets near the TV's (to run blueray player, satellite, etc. I assume) is an option on your coach. If you didn't order it, you'll have no power while eon battery. It will not power outlets throughout the coach or the microwave. There is no option for that.

You can get a second 1000w inverter with the residential fridge option (along with two more batteries and a cool battery tray to hold all four mid coach).

If you want to upgrade/add an inverter to power other outlets, MW, etc, you'd probably want to check the wire sizes and make sure they are up to the task. I assume you can tap into the AC power side and make other outlets hot. There has to be a bus bar or fuse box somewhere for the AC system that you can tap into. Might be too much for your average shade tree electrician. Don't know.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I suspect rewiring this inverter to power the TV's is difficult but not impossible. You definitely need some electrical wiring knowledge or someone who knows to look it over. I would guess that the inverter is wired much like the inverter our Roadtrek came with, that is a branch runs from the breaker panel (usually in the bath of a Newmar) to the inverter somewhere near the batteries, then out of the inverter directly to the fridge. No real convenient way to add other circuits to that inverter.

If you do try to increase the size of the inverter, as mentioned above you'll have to increase the circuit wiring and breaker size, also the wire and fuse size to the battery. You can go like I have and get an 2.5KW or 3KW pure sine wave inverter/charger, 50A transfer switch and lots of batteries and power your whole coach, also an expensive solution.

You probably could get away with running the TV's off the dedicated fridge inverter, assuming you could figure out how to get the power to them, but keep in mind a couple of things:

The TV's will draw almost as much and maybe more power as the fridge does. We have a residential fridge that draws about 10A from the 12V system (1A at 120VAC) while running. Our TV's draw more that that. So the batteries you have may not power both for long periods and you'll still end up running the genny or have dead batteries in the morning. If you just plan on running the TV's while traveling your alternator should keep the batteries charged.

Also you have to worry whether the inverter/batteries have the power to both run the TV(s) and start the fridge at the same time. Starting current for compressors in residential fridges is much higher than running current and Newmar may have spec'd the inverter just big enough to start the fridge with no extra load. Needless to say, spoiled food would not be conducive to a great RV trip!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #12

Inverter just for tv

I have a 1000 watt also on my Bay Star. It's just to provide the tv and blue ray at the bedroom tv and those outlets near the tv. I've got a propane RV fridge. Pretty basic. Not designed to run the microwave. Need to start generator for that.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Since a second 1k inverter is optional, might be worth a call to Newmar to see what it would cost to add one to power the TVs. The option may be popular enough that Newmar runs the wiring the same way on all their Bay Stars and that would make it easy to add one after the coach is built. The inverter and transfer switch are not very costly by themselves.
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #14

Thinking of the 2017 3104 now that the Born Free imperial GAS is out of commision. Just beginning my research on Newmar since you can't seem to get a super C GAS anywhere.

I plan on mainly boondocking. Want to put 600 watts of solar on the roof (All on one side prefered) with a solid solar charger and a 2000w inverter/charger to run everything but the A/C. Want (4) 6 volt AGM batteries as well (sliding tray preferred). Am I just dreaming to get/order the proper pre-wiring for all of that on a Newmar from the factory so I can install what I just said? They can keep what I would otherwise get rid of anyway

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, newmar