Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 07:24 AM   #1

Newmar baystar 3215 House battery issue

Just purchased a used 2014 Baystar 3215 drove to the storage place and parked it. Went back a week later to start really checking it out and appears the house batteries were dead. The stairs would not come out, couldn't get any lights to come on but the coach fires right up no problem. Nothing lights up on the micro panel to indicate there is power coming from the house batteries at all. I couldn't get the generator to start so we drove it for an hour or so hoping that might recharge the house batteries but that did not help.

This is my first RV so before I go and replace the two house batteries does anyone have any suggestions ? Is there a way to jump start the generator and would the generator recharge the house batteries ? Any suggestions on how to prevent this going forward ?

Thanks,
Dan
Lapp7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 08:32 AM   #2

Hopefully you got the coach manual for the coach. It should clue you on how the basic electrical system works.
There are basically 2 electrical systems in a MoHo/RV - 12VDC and 120 VAC. The 12VDC side usually has 2 sources of power - the coach batteries and the chassis battery. And they are can usually be connected together through the Emergency Start or Battery Boost switch on the dashboard.

You can usually hit the Emergency Start button to start the generator from the chassis battery (it is usually powered from the coach batteries - that switch does is parallel the coach and chassis batteries - electrical current flows both ways).

You might confirm that the coach disconnect switch(es) is in the “Use” position. Usually located just inside the door.

Microwave is 120VAC - you either need to be plugged into shore power or the generator needs to be running.

Steps usually power from the chassis battery and are usually interlocked through the ignition to insure the steps are in when the engine is running. There will also be a switch (usually near the entry door) to control the steps on/off operation, regardless of what position the ignition switch is.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:57 AM   #3

This is my first RV so before I go and replace the two house batteries does anyone have any suggestions ?

Good advice posted above.

House batteries need to be fully charged to test them. Shore power, generator power, and engine alternator are often good sources for charging.

Different RV's are wired differently and owners sometimes change factory wiring. There are often two house battery disconnects. One is usually near the entry door. Make sure it is switched "on". Another may or may not be located next to the battery bank. If one is present, make sure it is "on".

Alternator power did not charge the house batteries so that means the bridge circuit between the alternator and the house batteries could be defective or disconnected.

Check the two battery disconnect switches first. The high capacity relays that connect the two systems often fail.

Troubleshooting:
Get a cheap digital voltmeter at your local hardware store. Measure the voltage on the house battery terminals. With no charging or discharging the voltage will tell you the state of charge SoC. 12.7 volts or more means fully charged. 11.0 volts or less means fully discharged.

Some RV's use 6 volt batteries in pairs to produce 12 volts. The SoC should be measured across the pair in this case.

If voltage is above 11.0 volts, RV interior lights should work. The built in charger should bring the voltage up above 13.0 volts. It may take 4 hours or more.

Some built in chargers will not charge if battery terminal voltage is below a preset cutoff. You may need a portable charger to bring the voltage up to the cutoff voltage to get the built in charger to work.

In any case, you should make sure the batteries are fully charged soon. Leaving them discharged will damage them. One week is probably OK, but three months would probably kill them altogether.

Is there a way to jump start the generator and would the generator recharge the house batteries ?

The generator can be jump started just like your car. Of course if the bridge circuit works, that would be the easiest method.
Start the engine.
Hold the "boost" button "on" for a couple of minutes.
Try to start the generator while holding the "boost" button "on".

The generator will charge the batteries through the built in charger the same as if plugged into shore power.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this going forward ?

See attached file for storing lead acid batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Charging Lead Acid Bat.pdf (131.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Storing Lead Acid Batteries.pdf (101.5 KB, 3 views)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:23 AM   #4

Thanks for all the advice. As a new RV owner turns out it was my fault and when I left the RV parked at the storage facility a week before I did not hit the battery disconnect switch and the house batteries drained completely. The dealership sent their tech out and he knew exactly what happened; took him 5 minutes to show me a trick on how to jump the house batteries from the chassis battery and get the generator started. Problem solved.! I will never forget to hit the battery disconnect ever again before leaving the coach parked (I hope).
Old 11-29-2022, 07:30 AM   #5

Shouldn't need trick to jump the house batteries, should be a switch on the dash called boost or emergency start.

If that don't work, something is wrong. The house batteries should charge if the engine is running too.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:36 AM   #6

I believe the issue was that I had run the batteries so far down that even the boost switch wasn't enough to get the batteries charged. I do agree running the engine should have done it but as soon as we got the generator running all was well and the batteries were charging.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:08 AM   #7

Checking water level on lead-acid battery is important. Too low level will prevent good charging.
Claude7003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapp7660 View Post
I believe the issue was that I had run the batteries so far down that even the boost switch wasn't enough to get the batteries charged. I do agree running the engine should have done it but as soon as we got the generator running all was well and the batteries were charging.
And as a responsible RVer you will investigate this.

Good luck
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapp7660 View Post
When the boost doesn't work AND the house batteries don't charge while driving, it's almost always the isolation/bridging solenoid. It does both things.

The generator powers the house charging system, a different system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:40 AM   #10

I need to check that out this weekend. I'm not sure the other day when I drove it I had the battery disconnect switch in the correct position for the driving to recharge the house batteries but I'll know more this weekend when I take it out.

Tags
battery, newmar