Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 04:50 AM   #1

Newmar Baystar Long Term Storage

I have a 2017 Newmar Baystar Sport that is powered by Ford's V10 gas engine. Last winter, I didn't live in my RV, but stored the motor coach near my house in Florida at a friends house and was able to operate the coach and its systems about once a month. This winter, I'm considering storage in an old mine facility in Wampum PA that no longer performs mining, but offers storage for RVs. This facility is on my way to FL and near my sister-in-laws home, so in addition to using a climate controlled facility, I save the RV travel costs from PA to FL too. The space is large, a little musty like a large mine would be, but is out of the weather and a near constant 55 degree temperature. The only thing the facility requires is to disconnect all batteries. I plan to store the coach for about 4 or 5 months. My question has two parts: Part 1. Do you think its better to store my coach in the exposed winter environment in FL and operate it once a month or this covered mine facility and not operate the systems for 4-5 months? Part 2: Since owning the coach, I have no long term storage experience. Any specific advice for long term storage?
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I'd put it in the mine with the jacks down, disconnect the batteries and not worry about it. I would definitely put some fuel conditioner in the tank as that ethanol crap tends to separate and make water. Best is if you can run the fuel tank way down and add in 5 or 10 gallons of aviation fuel. It lasts a really long time without deterioration. I leave many vehicles in storage all winter and in Northern Maine that's 7 months. �� I leave them on a battery tender but since you don't have that option disconnecting is second best.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:29 AM   #3

I store mine after disconnecting the gas line to the generator and running it out of gas. Put the line back on and remove the battery cables.

The gas won't evaporate and varnish in the main engine. It's fuel injected.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I store mine after disconnecting the gas line to the generator and running it out of gas. Put the line back on and remove the battery cables.

The gas won't evaporate and varnish in the main engine. It's fuel injected.
Great idea! Thanks...
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #5

I add StaBil to the main tank,then run the generator for 30 minutes or so to get the treated gas into the carb. I don't like to leave the carb empty and don't like disturbing the fuel line connection. YMMV.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
All good ideas. The only one I would add....if you physically and logistically can do it, I would remove the battery and take it home. Keep it on a quality trickle charger until you take it back.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't agree with running it dry. In my experience there is a possibility of a nice bit of varnish holding down the float after months in storage. Put some Sea Foam or stabil it, run it into the genny, disconnect the battery hot and ground point and you should be fine.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
+1 for Sea Foam, used it for years in all types of boat engines and home generator, never had a problem.

Steve
Old 09-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
I don't agree with running it dry. In my experience there is a possibility of a nice bit of varnish holding down the float after months in storage. Put some Sea Foam or stabil it, run it into the genny, disconnect the battery hot and ground point and you should be fine.

Carburator bowls are vented to the atmosphere. The gas in them is going to evaporate over a few weeks anyway.( That's why they install the prime switch. )

If you look in your generator manual, you may see that running it dry is recommended. Cummins recommends draining the bowl if it can not be exercised regularly.

In my experience, dealing with small engines for over 50 years, I've never seen what you say " can possibly happen " in a carburator that's been run dry.

Letting it evaporate slowly gives it more of a chance to varnish the float and bowl then running it almost dry in 5 minutes.

Gas, in fuel injected engines, stays in the fuel lines, and doesn't evaporate. They typically can be stored for long periods without problems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, storage