Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 12:41 AM   #1

Question Newmar Brakes & Toad

I'm new to Motor Homes, long time 13K 5er and F350 6.7. Newbie questions: Bought 2022 Bay Star 3401, came with 2,100 delivery miles. I drove 50 miles home from dealer and used one foot to brake but it was a workout, a few times thought 2 feet would have been better , is that amount of force typical and even though it's new, can stopping force be improved?

Sold F350 it was a bulldozer and loved it but too heavy. I miss the pickup and considering Ford Ranger crew cab 4x4 curb weight approx. 4,500#.
Jeep Wrangler 4dr curb weight around 4,200". 90% city/hwy driving but we do like beach and places like Moab UT (nothing serious). Obviously Jeep better off road and fun but read about some brake fade and AC issues and general reliability, looking at 2018-2020 models for either. Even though a little heavier, Ranger may be better all a round but less chops for simple off road. Weight is always an issue and I believe Jeep has a good toad system and see many as toads. I drive on average 20K a years when not RVing.

Experienced opinions and info are appreciated.
Donhdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 05:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My only experience with Bay Star was a 2010 30’. 20,500 chassis. I never even thought about using two feet on the brake pedal. It took more effort and planning to stop it than a pick-up, but I always fet the brakes were sufficient.

I would expect better brakes on your chassis and general improvements over the years. So I would consider that either your rig has a brake system issue or your driving habits aren't consistent with the rig.

Try slowing earlier, more stopping distance, downshifting etc. But if that doesn't help, I’d find a dealership that works on motorhomes and have them checked while it’s under warranty.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:46 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Brakes & Toad

Are you also asking advice on what vehicle to tow behind the motorhome?

If so, then you will need to see how heavy the motorhome is after loaded with your stuff, all occupants,fuel, water, etc. Get it weighed at a CAT scale at a truck stop.

Your weight will determine how much capacity you have left for towing….. it will probably be less than 4000 lbs.

What is the GCWR of your baystar?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:52 AM   #4

I have a 2016 BSS on a F53 chassis. The brakes do require both more pressure than you’re used too, and you need to start stopping sooner. May try turning on Tow Haul as it will downshift sooner and help slow you down.

I have a 2015 Wrangler 2dr and it pulls just fine. If you have not already purchased a tow bar or braking system take a good look at NSA’s Ready Brute Elite packages.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Are you also asking advice on what vehicle to tow behind the motorhome?

If so, then you will need to see how heavy the motorhome is after loaded with your stuff, all occupants,fuel, water, etc. Get it weighed at a CAT scale at a truck stop.

Your weight will determine how much capacity you have left for towing….. it will probably be less than 4000 lbs.

What is the GCWR of your baystar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I have a 2016 BSS on a F53 chassis. The brakes do require both more pressure than you’re used too, and you need to start stopping sooner. May try turning on Tow Haul as it will downshift sooner and help slow you down.

I have a 2015 Wrangler 2dr and it pulls just fine. If you have not already purchased a tow bar or braking system take a good look at NSA’s Ready Brute Elite packages.
Agree with both. Whenever I towed anything with my Bay Star, it slowed me down on grades immediately. Noticeably. You’ll do a bit better with the 7.3 and 6.14 gears, but your coach weighs more. And of course you’ll want to stay within your GCVW. You’ve got 6000lbs between your GVWR and GCWR but a 5000lb hitch, so that would be my limit, but Id still go with the lightest toad that will do the job. 2 door Wrangler will always get my vote.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #6

As was said above it does require a bit more effort on the brake pedal than on a pickup. I have never felt 2 feet were necessary. You do need to start your stop further ahead than you have in the past. Learn how the tow haul works and use brake application to down shift as you start the stop, this will reduce the need for heavy brake application. I run with tow haul on all the time.

I tow a jeep Cherokee no issues at all. You have a 5K hitch and should have 3K+ CCC, any vehicle under 5K will be fine.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The brake pedal definitely takes significantly more push than any car or light truck I have driven. Initially it took a day or two of driving to getting used to it. Now I don't even think about it.

I have had a couple of times where I stopped quickly and it slows down surprisingly well when I really get into the pedal. Much better than I ever thought it would. And that is not even approaching the point where the ABS kicks in.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
My only experience with Bay Star was a 2010 30’. 20,500 chassis. I never even thought about using two feet on the brake pedal. It took more effort and planning to stop it than a pick-up, but I always fet the brakes were sufficient.

I would expect better brakes on your chassis and general improvements over the years. So I would consider that either your rig has a brake system issue or your driving habits aren't consistent with the rig.

Try slowing earlier, more stopping distance, downshifting etc. But if that doesn't help, I’d find a dealership that works on motorhomes and have them checked while it’s under warranty.
Seems more road time is required. Thank you
Old 12-09-2021, 09:53 PM   #9

Thank you, Not sure whats harder, working the brakes or figuring out hot to navigate this forum. My truck and trailer combined was almost 22K lbs. and thought RV would be better but then again I had brakes on 3 axiles.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:59 PM   #10

Yes, I know my weight limits but need 4x4 and the decision is between 4dr Jeep wrangler or 4x4 Ford Ranger. Read a lot a negatives about jeeps other than their off road capabilities but so many are toads and easier to hook up. Are Jeep Wrangler good for city/hwy use. Mileage not so much an issue.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #11

I did not have tow/haul on when I drove it home so using that should certainly help. I do miss my exhaust brake. Thank you
Old 12-09-2021, 10:12 PM   #12

Have not heard of NSA and will get it's information. Thank you
Old 12-09-2021, 10:21 PM   #13

Yes I have the 6.14 and since I have the smallest unit with that ratio I was hoping it would allow a little more pulling power not to mention worse gas mileage. Correct, my GVWR is 24K and GCWR is 30K. I plan to flat tow less than 5K and will stay under the 24K. Now all that I have to do is lose weight myself.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:34 PM   #14

From what I've read from all you helpful members, I'll take the suggestion and use tow/haul full time. I down shifted as needed with trailer now I'll do the same with my RV. Your 3626 carries more weight, longer wheel base not sure if there is a difference in brake size but if it works for 37' it should work for 35'. Thank you

Tags
brake, brakes, newmar, toad