RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #1

Newmar Canyon Star slide out trouble

Hello.
I just bought a 2017 newmar canyon star And drove it from Florida to Texas. I got home and put the slide outs out and the bedroom slide out is hanging up on the top. It won’t go all the way out and it really looks like it struggles to go in or out especially at the top. I got some terrible roads in Louisiana, will never go that route again in an Rv. Also the furnace does not show up on the digital thermostat. It has cool, auto, hp, fan. No furnace. Any ideas?
Thank you.
Looking forward to getting out in an RV again.
Gpdakota
gpdakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

From what I read, sounds like the topper is binding and possibly preventing the slide from extending at the top. Search the forum topics for help there.

Make sure you have selected Zone 1 to see the Furnace (won't show if using Zone 2).

Hope this helped.
Kshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

We have the same problem with our wardrobe slide in the bedroom. Had it checked out while at Newmar service center and was told that the only thing they could do was relieve pressure on the slide topper but it may leave to much slack in the slide topper. I left it as is and just push the top of the slide out after extending the slide. Hope this helps.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
on our 2019 CS 3719 the small bedroom slide hangs up when opening. Its the small slide. We had the slide topper adjusted at the factory twice and the tech and I agreed we couldn't go any looser. I push the top to get it to complete travel. No issues pulling it in.

On your furnace, check both zones. it will only show up on one, i believe zone 1. put other zone on fan.

john
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:42 AM   #5

I will double check but I thought I checked both zones. And I am going to try and put some baby powder on the slide on top side, maybe that will loosen it up. I am in a wheelchair so it is hard to push the top of the slide out every time. I travel alone most times so it would be great if they could fix it.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #6

Zone one

I tried both zones and no furnace. Must be some sort of fix with the electronic thermostat. The fuse looks good. Temps are getting in the 40s so the HP won’t work. Any other ideas or anyone else ever have this problem?
Thanks
Old 10-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdakota View Post
I tried both zones and no furnace. Must be some sort of fix with the electronic thermostat. The fuse looks good. Temps are getting in the 40s so the HP won’t work. Any other ideas or anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks

I just had the same furness problem. Zone 1 is where the FURN should show on the screen. Try first to do a t-stat reset. You can find a manual attached to one of the members response to my issue. If the reset doesn’t work, your problem may lie in the front rooftop ac/hp unit. In my case they had mid-wired it for heat strips. We were very cold at night and a thousand miles away from the dealer that messed it up so we contacted a mobile repairman. We are now happy and toasty.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I believe it is a pretty common occurrence for this to happen if the AC unit was replaced and the tech did not configure the dip switches in the replacement unit correctly. I would call Newmar and verify. You should see furn listed on at least one zone.

I understand your issue with the slide, our small one is so light that topper holds it back. I was worried about loosening the topper so much it becomes a water trough.

Best of luck.

j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2road View Post
I believe it is a pretty common occurrence for this to happen if the AC unit was replaced and the tech did not configure the dip switches in the replacement unit correctly. I would call Newmar and verify. You should see furn listed on at least one zone.

I understand your issue with the slide, our small one is so light that topper holds it back. I was worried about loosening the topper so much it becomes a water trough.

Best of luck.

j
I had the same heater issue and resolved as above, configuration of dip switches was the fix.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If a reset doesn't work maybe a call to Newmar and request for a Mobile Tech in your area, the AC could be your problem also.
This link will give info on many other things in your coach and all the links below in my signature also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #11

Just a FYI for others that search this topic. Newmar at the factory did not set up the dip switches to furnace. All it took was a toggle of the dip switch to the on position where it says furnace and now it reads furnace on the thermostat. It has never been run, you could tell by the smell. I now have my furnace.
Thanks for all the advice.
My slide out will have to be taken care of by a newmar tech. I tried baby powder to help the seal but still have the gap on the slide out.

Tags
canyon star, newmar, slide, slide out