RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

Newmar Canyon Star Towing Capacity

We are considering the purchase of a 2016 Canyon Star 3911. Does anyone out there have experience towing more than 4000 lbs with the f53 26,000 lb chassis or, better yet, the Canyon Star 39 series? How does it handle grades? Note that this is not meant to ignite a 'diesel vs gas' or a 'new vs used' discussion, nor am I interested in speculation. Does anyone have real world experience with this chassis? This may have been answered somewhere before, but I haven't been able to find it. The Canyon star 39 series lineup comes with a 5000 lb hitch.

New to this forum, but have been pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a 2011 Silverado 2500 w/ gas engine for about 4 years. The Silverado goes about 45 mph at 4500 rpm up the grapevine and Cajon pass in California. My experience with towing power of the gas engine has been positive to this point. However, the rough ride of the Silverado is starting to get to my wife, who is in a wheelchair. I'll test drive a CS 3921 on Saturday to check out the ride and handling.

JayKay100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

We have a Workhorse powered RV, but travel with several friends in similar sized RV's on the F53...
The 26,000lb F53 is very capable of tugging these under 40' RV's over the grapevine with a toad, up to and including 5,000lb.

There is more noise going over the crest southbound due to the incline, but we are easily passing the big rigs. If the dog house noise is bothersome to you, extra material can add to it very easily.

These chassis are SO easy to use and maintain...much like a gas pick-up. And Outlaw owners (now on the 26K chassis) have found little need to do any mods to the suspension like discussed in so many threads here...the higher capacity suspension just doesn't seem to need extra help like the softer sprung siblings.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #3

I have the 26k Chassis as an upgrade and it is rated to tow 4000lbs, but that is based on the NCC being maxed out. It can easily tow a Toad of up to 5000lbs, as that is what the hitch is rated for, and per Ford is more than capable of towing a 5000lb toad.

As to the engine noise, Newmars engine is set a little lower into the build of the house and the engine noise is minimal. It will get a little louder as you climb or descend grades but it is by no means excessively loud and you can still carry on a conversation. The noise level on the flats or rolling hills is no more than you will hear in your regular truck pulling a travel trailer.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:42 PM   #4

Thank you both. That's encouraging. I'd prefer to stay under 4000 lbs, but wheelchair accessible vehicles in that range are rare and may not suit our needs. There are many negative comments on the internet concerning the power of gas motorhomes over 35', but most weren't based on experience. The ones that were mostly involved earlier iterations of the Ford chassis and engine. Both have improved over the years. Newmar builds a quality coach and I was pretty sure they wouldn't rate the hitch at 5000 lbs if the motorhome didn't have the power to pull the weight.

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We owned a 2013 canyon star and towed a CRV. We bought it with the intention of it being our long term full time home. Yes, it can handle the load .... But it is noisy to the point where you do raise your voice. You will slow down when pulling hills. We chose to trade to a new Ventana because of the life span we hope to get from the coach and our interest in traveling mountainous areas. The noise level difference is amazing. We stayed with Newmar because of the quality and reputation for customer service.

Roger & Sally Summerfield + bischons Bailey & Lily
2014 Newmar Ventana 4369
2013 Honda CRV
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #6

Thanks. We considered the Ventana, but the only wheelchair accessible floorplan is the 4311. However, in California 40' is the magic number. Anything over requires a class B noncommercial license and limits the roads you can travel. Wish they had an accessible DP that was under 40'. At this time we don't plan much mountain travel and probably won't be moving from one location to another too often. Your experience gives us something to think about.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay100 View Post
We are considering the purchase of a 2016 Canyon Star 3911. Does anyone out there have experience towing more than 4000 lbs with the f53 26,000 lb chassis or, better yet, the Canyon Star 39 series? How does it handle grades? Note that this is not meant to ignite a 'diesel vs gas' or a 'new vs used' discussion, nor am I interested in speculation. Does anyone have real world experience with this chassis? This may have been answered somewhere before, but I haven't been able to find it. The Canyon star 39 series lineup comes with a 5000 lb hitch.

New to this forum, but have been pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a 2011 Silverado 2500 w/ gas engine for about 4 years. The Silverado goes about 45 mph at 4500 rpm up the grapevine and Cajon pass in California. My experience with towing power of the gas engine has been positive to this point. However, the rough ride of the Silverado is starting to get to my wife, who is in a wheelchair. I'll test drive a CS 3921 on Saturday to check out the ride and handling.

We have a 2013 3911. Bought it new. Wife drives it exclusively. I gave up my DL 11 years ago. We have 14,000 miles on our Canyon Star. Absolutely love it. Haven't been in Rockies with it yet, but some Arkansas & MO hills are pretty steep going to Branson. Handled them with no trouble. Just use the Tow/Haul feature. Ford 26k chassis, engine & transmission are pretty much bulletproof. Newmar builds a quality product & any warranty issues are quickly & professionally handled by CS staff. We tow a Dodge Grand Caravan (Entervan). Only mod to the mitorhome has been the 5 Star Tune. Helps to tame the transmission shift points. Oh, I forgot, two other mods: We added a wireless remote door opener/closer & a wireless remote for my wheelchair lift. Gives me complete freedom to come & go without assistance.

If you wish, contact me at jtneil@att.net.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
JayKay100 we love our 2013 Canyon Star and tow a GMC Terrain fwd SLT2. It weighs in just under 4k lbs. The Ford chassis, engine and trans do a great job. Yes,we have driven a Ventana and there is no denying that it is a nice motorhome with a different ride than the CS. However the difference in the purchase price as well as the cost of maintenance just didn't make sense for us. There are trade offs with everything. As for towing a 5000 lb toad, the CS may be able to do it for you but it seems like you'll be at the max end of the range. We actually passed up another SUV that weighed about 400 lbs more than our Terrain out of concern relating to our efforts to minimize weight whenever we can. As a thought you might consider calling Newmar directly and talking with their regional rep or someone in engineering to discuss your thoughts. By and large we have found the folks at Newmar to be extremely helpful. Best of luck to you. Safe travels.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #9

Thanks again to all who have contributed. This is a great forum in which to get 'real world' feedback. My test drive was postponed to Tuesday. Will let you know how it goes.

The Dodge Grand Caravan weighs around 4400 lbs before the Braun Entervan conversion, so the post from Jim T. alleviates some of my concerns. The f53 chassis and engine have come a long way since earlier versions. The main issue with the CS seems to be the noise level.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #10

Went on a ride-along yesterday in the 2016 CS 3921. Favorably impressed. Found the coach to be quiet and, from watching the driver, easy to handle. Now looking to sell our present rig for down payment on the 3911. Today I just heard about the new transmission on 2016 f53 chassis, so wasn't able to check if it was on the toy hauler on Tuesday. I will make sure it's on the coach we order.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Have a 2015 CS3953 loaded with most options. We pull a 4400 lbs jeep wrangler. Only had the rig for 2 months but have had reasonable performance. On the interstates we have driven so far (80,81,99,76,84) we haven't had any issues going up hills at interstate speeds, however, we have one ridge near our house on RT322 that is extremely long and steep (for pa anyways). While we were able to pass some 18 wheelers, speed at the top was 40 MPH. BTW: For all you diesel lovers out there, we passed a Ventana pulling a Cadillac SRX up the hill. I think you will be happy with the CS3911 performance.

Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tow, towing