Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

Newmar - Cummins 340HP ISC engine maintenance

So, I have been in discussion with a friend about Gas Vs Diesel Maintenance cost on average scheduled service. I am talking the good old Oil - Filter change you get when you take your truck in for service on a gas engine... The reason I ask is that if I were to buy another Class A I'd look at something like the Newmar Vantana LE 3424 range with the 340hp diesel turbo engine which it has in it. I realize anything can happen.. but lets say If you have one, use it 3 to 5,000 miles a year and on the odd chance 10,0000 miles.. I read that Oil, Filter and Diesel filter would be regular things I'd have to change.... if that is the case What would be a typical cost to do that service (vs the gas which is about $89.00 at the dealer).. how much more would I expect in normal scheduled maintenance of the Diesel. It would be on probably a 2018 - 19 34 or 36' coach. Just trying to use as a talking point. I"m not real mechanical and I take my cars and trucks to the dealer for service... and I suspect, I'd take the MH to a service center as well. I"m just trying ti figure out a out of pocket budget to throw on the spread sheet! Hopefully buying fairly new there would not be much more than regular service intervals until the mileage starts to pile up... Looking at some of the used Newmar Vantana LE there seems to be some nice low mllage units on the market and I suspect would be a good start. So, I appreciate any comments folks may have.... (also, folks with the 34 -36' Vantana LE how do you like yours? Pro's and Cons?
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi davidki,
The engine will, most likely, take 24 quarts of oil + filter. Then there are 2 fuel filters. An air filter and air dryer every 3 years. The chassis must be greased annually. Throw in a steer axle alignment every couple of years. Coolant and hydraulic oil change every six years. Transmission fluid and 2 filter changes every 5 years. New tires every 7 to 10 years. Engine belts every 5 years or so. There is more but you get the picture.

Lastly, there is unplanned repairs.

I did not include the price of all the above. Owning a coach is a lifestyle choice. Tell you the truth I do not know the cost. It is what it is.

One purchases a diesel vs gas to haul more weight. More weight translates into amenities.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #3

Gary KD. Thanks so much for that information... I realize that Diesel has more things to get serviced and that doesn't bother me, nor does the cost at this point... I don't own one :-) but, in reading the different threads there is alot of talk of the "Other Things" that go wrong or have issues... I was just kind of looking at what the normal maintenance would be like and intervals and I appreciate that you have laid that out for me

In the late 90's we did have a Monaco Diesel that ended up to be a real problem so we got rid of it.. since then we have switched from Motorhome, to boats to right now a nice little Jayco TT which seems to work for us.

In looking at more extended trips as we get a bit older (were both retired) we think would be interesting to explore another MH ...and in doing so, we have looked at both Gas and diesel... I"m in no hurry but want to have as many facts and figures we can.

I have a friend with a Newmar Canyon Star gas, he is very happy with it... but in looking at new prices of the Canyon Star new prices and a few years old Ventana 34' there may be some wiggle room to make that happen.

I"ve read both good and bad, ups and downs.. we have no interest in full time as we have a great place in the Nashville area that we love.. it's just the idea of making a few trips to various areas of the country that we have been again or some new places to explore and I figure... max 3 weeks on the road at any one time.

I"ve kind of focused on the Newmar line as I think the fit and finish is above alot of the others out there ... and finding a 3-5 year old Newmar 34' may be a much better move than going for the newer gas MH's....

I am going to call freightliner this week and see what they say on service along with Cummins....

One more thing, since we are looking at Used units having your information of what needs service at what intervals is valuable to me, I can make a check list that I can refer to while looking at the different units and talking with the buyers to make sure the necessary service and maintenance is done in a timely fashion...

Thanks again for taking time to outline this information for us..

Dave
Nashville Tennessee
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two camps here, the ones that say get the oil changed for a couple of hundred dollars or the ones that do all the points listed on the Freightliner checklist. I take mine to Freightliner shop that does a complete service including lube, filters, re-torques, magnetic plug checks, generator service, and inspection items. Takes about 5 to 6 hours and cost runs between 800 and 1,000 dollars.
I have been told I pay way to much but in my eyes, if I have an issue there wouldn't an issue of me not doing services as a reason to deny warranty services.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #5

I took our MADP in to a local truck shop yesterday and the annual PM service was $518 total.

Tags
cummins, engine, maintenance, newmar