Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar Custom Order - Electrical Specials

I want to know about successful changes for custom electirical changes.

I am looking at a London Aire specifically, but the specials should be the same for all class a coaches.

#1 - Add a non-inverter power connection in kitchen.

There is one for the induction range, but that is the only one on standard builds. I have found that I have stressed the inverter when using the Microwave, and a skillet along with coffee maker. Putting the skillet on a non-inverted outlet would resolve the problem. Has anyone done this? Would like details of how yours was worderd.

#2 - 240V for Dryer in Non-Essex/King Aire
Has anyone been successful in getting a 240v dryer in a Mountain Aire/London Aire? This has been denied for me in the Dutchstar in prior orders

#3 - AC Power outlet in closet
This would be useful for charging the dyson. I would like to know how your specials where worded, and any suggestions on location and other considerations for this outlet

#4 - AC Power in Washer/Dryer side Vanity Medicine Cabinet
For models with the dual master vanities, there is a medicine cabinet on either side. The standard is the closet side vanity has a power plug, but the opposite side does not. Has anyone successfully added one here? Would like to know the wording used for this

#5 - USB Higher output plugs
Has anyone specd in a faster or higher amp USB outlet vs the standard outlet newmar is using?

#6 - London Aire 4551 Specific changes
For those that have ordered the 4551, what specific changes did you make or wish that you did for electrical connections?

Lets keeps this thread about electrical specials only--DC or AC is fine.

Thanks!
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #2

Not sure what the London Aire comes with but we have two extra USB and an extra Cigararette lighter outlet on the left side of our dash. Very useful in keeping wire clutter off the top of the dashClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	334710
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #3

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I want to know about successful changes for custom electirical changes.

I am looking at a London Aire specifically, but the specials should be the same for all class a coaches.

#1 - Add a non-inverter power connection in kitchen.

There is one for the induction range, but that is the only one on standard builds. I have found that I have stressed the inverter when using the Microwave, and a skillet along with coffee maker. Putting the skillet on a non-inverted outlet would resolve the problem. Has anyone done this? Would like details of how yours was worderd.

Thanks!

Yep I agree with that. My wife loves her Air fryer.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #4

We added an outlet/USB on the fridge side of the dinette, left side of window to match the right side.
22’ LA 4551
NewmarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarDave View Post
We added an outlet/USB on the fridge side of the dinette, left side of window to match the right side.
22’ LA 4551
That's not standard? I assumed it was as I have it with the 2019 DSDP. Glad you mentioned it, will be adding that request.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:03 PM   #6

We went with a power flex dinette and the 2021 we looked at only had it on the side closest to the couch. By adding the second, the wife can be sitting in the dinette facing the front while she’s working and I’m driving.
Don’t know if going with a different dinette changes electrical locations.

We also did a conduit from utility cay to mid bath

We vented the micro but I don’t know if there’s a lock mechanism on the flapper.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarDave View Post
We went with a power flex dinette and the 2021 we looked at only had it on the side closest to the couch. By adding the second, the wife can be sitting in the dinette facing the front while she’s working and I’m driving.
Don’t know if going with a different dinette changes electrical locations.

We also did a conduit from utility cay to mid bath

We vented the micro but I don’t know if there’s a lock mechanism on the flapper.

I am doing the power dinette. I have heard it's more comfortable than the eurobooth I have had in the dsdp.

When you say utility cabinet, is that the electrical bay?
Old 07-05-2021, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
I am doing the power dinette. I have heard it's more comfortable than the eurobooth I have had in the dsdp.

When you say utility cabinet, is that the electrical bay?
Sorry, the bay that has your sewer dump valves.
Just in case we decide to do power dump valves.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #9
GKU

Added Conduit from roof to cabinet over Driver, for future Cell, WiFi, or other antenna.

Also, not electric but adds storage. Had top cabinets on D/S made all the same depth.

We added 15+ Specials to our 22LA order.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #10

We added a separate circuit to the kitchen. Located next to where the stovetop plugs into. It is on a different power leg than the cooktop.
So one outlet is inverted, the other is not.

I attached what the order came out as.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	334870
Old 07-06-2021, 05:25 AM   #11

Quote:

This would be useful for charging the dyson. I would like to know how your specials where worded, and any suggestions on location and other considerations for this outlet

#4 - AC Power in Washer/Dryer side Vanity Medicine Cabinet
For models with the dual master vanities, there is a medicine cabinet on either side. The standard is the closet side vanity has a power plug, but the opposite side does not. Has anyone successfully added one here? Would like to know the wording used for this

#5 - USB Higher output plugs
Has anyone specd in a faster or higher amp USB outlet vs the standard outlet newmar is using?
I'll address the ones that haven't been yet.

#2. No
#3. I'm guessing you are talking about the rear wardrobe here. You'll have to consider the rear cap storage and safe location when placing this outlet.
#4. This is not actually a cabinet but just a false door for plumbing/electrical access for the washer and dryer.
#5. Newmar will not install appliances and fixtures other than what they have on hand already. So probably no

Hope this helps
arein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had extra 12v wiring pulled to a few locations around the coach. Wet bay, main basement area, kids wardrobe, under the kitchen sink. The VT didn’t have well lit closets / pantry (maybe fixed on LA) and I used some of these lines to power full cabinet lights.

You may also want to figure out any extra KIB panels you would be interested in. Like many floorplans my standard kitchen panel is in an awkward place and I bought an extra panel to put near the sink. You could ask Newmar to add a panel, or just run the bus where you want it and order a panel to self install.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #13

I had this denied on a 2021 Dutch Star. No 240V circuits anywhere in the coach is basically what I was told.

We had a bunch of 110V outlets added all over. The wording was always the form of "110V outlet at <location>" where location should be as explicit as you want it to be. If you aren't explicit, they will add it in the general area at whatever location is most convenient for the install.

FWIW, here's our list of electrical specials for our 2021:
  • 110V outlet in first OHC ODS above theater seats
  • 110V GFCI outlet on right underside medicine cabinet in rear bath
  • 110V outlet in rear closet centered at bottom of passenger-side adjustable shelves
  • 110V outlet in rear closet at bottom right of wardrobe cabinet above drawers on ODS.
  • 110V outlet to DS pegboard bay - bottom left side
  • 110V outlet to ODS of generator bay near T-bar release for generator slide
  • Dual CAT6 from front AV OHC to televator AV OHC
  • CAT6 from external TV bay to televator AV OHC
  • Dual CAT6 from bedroom AV wardrobe location to televator AV OHC
  • (2) conduit with wifi prep from roof to front living room OHC

I wish we had been more explicit about some of these. Like the pegboard bay, we thought they'd try to keep it as far to the site and bottom as possible but they choose to put it on the pegboard itself in the middle of the bottom quadrant so it's like centered at 6" from the left side and 5" up from the bottom.

As to suggestions for other locations: After picking up our coach, we decided to put in bidet toilet seats which require power so ended up installing outlets ourselves in both midship and rear baths near the toilets.

Best of wishes for your new build & order!
Old 07-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #14

Best to put everything in your order and let Newmar decide if it's a 'go'. We had 100+ specials including additional electric. We found they'll do pretty much anything, if they can.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, newmar