Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar Dealer Refuses Warranty Work

Recently had a minor factory warranty issue on my 2015 Ventana and called Berryland Camper in Hammond, LA to make a service appointment since I was going to be traveling through Hammond in a couple of weeks. I did not buy my coach at this dealer. Berryland Service tech informed me that Berryland does not do any warranty work on any rv unless the rv was purchased at Berryland, including Newmar!

Is this response typical of Newmars service dealership network? I have no Newmar dealers in my area (Mobile, AL) and even Berryland is 150 miles away but I thought I could at least get my Newmar worked on at one of their authorized dealerships.

Curious what others have experienced and to warn everyone of Berrylands policy! They are definitely listed as an authorized Newmar Service Center on Newmars website! Would also like to let Newmar know of this policy and what their take is on it. Who would be the best contact at Newmar to let them know about this? Perhaps a regional manager for the southeast or south-central (Louisiana) area?
cstar5634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It is not uncommon.....for many brands, unfortunately.

I have encountered it myself.

Newmar can direct you to an authorized service center. Give them a call.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
It is not uncommon.....for many brands, unfortunately.

I have encountered it myself.

Newmar can direct you to an authorized service center. Give them a call.
Not having ever been in the RV or car business I guess I assumed that dealers were adequately compensated to do warranty work. That said, I suppose warranty work will not fetch as high a rate as non-warranty repairs (price set by each shop) or upgrades.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #4

When we had an issue while traveling, I called Newmar and they contacted the nearest dealer and made arraignments for me to bring it in for repairs.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSteinmetz View Post
Not having ever been in the RV or car business I guess I assumed that dealers were adequately compensated to do warranty work. That said, I suppose warranty work will not fetch as high a rate as non-warranty repairs (price set by each shop) or upgrades.
For car dealers the warranty repair rate is set by the factory. It is usually a bit lower than the average customer rate for the area by a few dollars. The factory says they are the dealers best customer and they need a discount so to speak. Parts are marked up a little less than retail but not by much. So it is STUPID for a dealer to not do warranty repairs. When I was a factory rep I heard all of the reasons but none were valid. "I have too much work and can not do it all", the answer is, grow the shop. Hire and train more techs, extend shop hours if the facility is to small. "I didn't sell it I won't service it", answer is, why didn't you sell it? Maybe if you weren't such a jerk you would have. You might show the customer that you have a great store and they may buy the next unit from you.

The car factories had a way of getting to the dealers but the fair allocation laws have taken that away so now they use other incentives like money on satisfaction surveys. I would think the MH factories have the allocation of units still to their advantage and could use it. But maybe they do not. Then there would be the other methods that could come into play. In either case a dealer is a jerk if he doesn't service any unit. He is not doing it free he is getting paid and has a chance to make a new customer.

Some get it some will never get it.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

Although that may be common for some manufacturers that is not common for Newmar, and one of the reasons people buy Newmar's. Call Newmar customer service and I'm sure they will take care of the problem. I was told by a Newmar rep that part of having the Newmar franchise was that the service department would do warranty work on any Newmar, no matter where it was purchased. This came up in conversation of what to do if you are traveling and need something done. I was also told that if there wasn't a Newmar repair facility close by they would arrange for and authorize a repair shop to do the work.

We had a minor issue with the micro wave recall, where Fridgedaire was supposed to come to our house and do the recall work. When it hadn't been done in several weeks I got several calls from Newmar apologizing for the lack of service by Fridgedaire as well as them getting the parts to my local dealer to be fixed immediately. When I took mine in for some minor warranty issues they had two different people calling me to make sure I was satisfied with the work done, the set up at the facility, and the wait time. That just may be one person not wanting to help you out, Newmar also has a list of shops that thye authorize to do repairs who may just be a little better than the shop with that kind of attitude.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #7

I looked at the website that 007 told me about RV Service Reviews and there were two reviews on that dealer - one of which was that someone with a 5th wheel had the same experience - inability to get warranty work done...probably didn't buy the rv there either.

Please post your experience to that site under that dealer. I plan to review that site whenever I'm thinking of using or buying from a specific dealer. I understand that all the dealers are different and have their reasons, but having read the two reviews I would personally avoid that dealer if the opportunity presented itself, despite reasonable arguments from the dealer.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for sharing the RV Service Reviews Site RodgerS. Will definitely post my experience (rather refused experience) on this website.
cstar5634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I was told by a Newmar rep that part of having the Newmar franchise was that the service department would do warranty work on any Newmar, no matter where it was purchased.
I would expect any manufacturer to require that of their distributors and I'm surprised to learn that there are any that do not. I certainly wouldn't but a new vehicle from any manufacturer who wouldn't guarantee warranty service at any dealer service station because otherwise the value of the warranty would be very compromised, and that is one of the things you are paying for in a new vehicle!
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #10

About the same situation I ran into with the Winnebago dealer in Tulsa, Oklahoma. When i complained to the factory they said "all the dealers are independent businesses and we have no control over their policies". When i stated that Winnebago doesn't have to sell them coaches if they don't comply with Winnebago's policy to take care of all customers I got no response from them. Guess the factory's main concern is how many RVs they can get out to the market place, not the service afterwards. Sure soured me on Winnebagos.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstar5634 View Post
Recently had a minor factory warranty issue on my 2015 Ventana and called Berryland Camper in Hammond, LA to make a service appointment since I was going to be traveling through Hammond in a couple of weeks. I did not buy my coach at this dealer. Berryland Service tech informed me that Berryland does not do any warranty work on any rv unless the rv was purchased at Berryland, including Newmar!

Is this response typical of Newmars service dealership network? I have no Newmar dealers in my area (Mobile, AL) and even Berryland is 150 miles away but I thought I could at least get my Newmar worked on at one of their authorized dealerships.

Curious what others have experienced and to warn everyone of Berrylands policy! They are definitely listed as an authorized Newmar Service Center on Newmars website! Would also like to let Newmar know of this policy and what their take is on it. Who would be the best contact at Newmar to let them know about this? Perhaps a regional manager for the southeast or south-central (Louisiana) area?
This is my biggest concern about getting a Newmar. I got a quote from Berryland and they made no attempt to deal. Their discount was 21%. I have found a 26% discount at another dealership, but that dealer is 700 miles away.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
This is my biggest concern about getting a Newmar. I got a quote from Berryland and they made no attempt to deal. Their discount was 21%. I have found a 26% discount at another dealership, but that dealer is 700 miles away.
So do you now drive to Red Bay for everything?
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I thought you already had a thread going on this?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
For car dealers the warranty repair rate is set by the factory. It is usually a bit lower than the average customer rate for the area by a few dollars. The factory says they are the dealers best customer and they need a discount so to speak. Parts are marked up a little less than retail but not by much. So it is STUPID for a dealer to not do warranty repairs. When I was a factory rep I heard all of the reasons but none were valid. "I have too much work and can not do it all", the answer is, grow the shop. Hire and train more techs, extend shop hours if the facility is to small. "I didn't sell it I won't service it", answer is, why didn't you sell it? Maybe if you weren't such a jerk you would have. You might show the customer that you have a great store and they may buy the next unit from you.

The car factories had a way of getting to the dealers but the fair allocation laws have taken that away so now they use other incentives like money on satisfaction surveys. I would think the MH factories have the allocation of units still to their advantage and could use it. But maybe they do not. Then there would be the other methods that could come into play. In either case a dealer is a jerk if he doesn't service any unit. He is not doing it free he is getting paid and has a chance to make a new customer.

Some get it some will never get it.
This subject, as well as the "I can't get quality service performed", regardless of brand, issue will never be fully resolved. My opinion is based on a lifetime of experience from the other side of the desk.... as a dealer principal long retired. Most rep's share this viewpoint that is predicated from their paycheck reflecting unit sales and the manufacturer's objective to sell as many units as possible to their customers aka the dealer network. Dealer's are the mfg's best customer. Without a dealer network a mfg can't deliver enough product to succeed. I often wondered why my mfg rep's with all of the answers on how to run a successful dealership never progressed to owning one?

"I have too much work and can not do it all", the answer is, grow the shop. Hire and train more techs, extend shop hours if the facility is to small".

Sounds easy doesn't it? Have you noticed the level of service today in general? It's nearly impossible to get a competent employee at a fast food restaurant. The reality is in a seasonal business you have months that you're operating at maximum capacity and at other times the employees are looking for something to do to stay busy. Our business plan was based on "You can purchase a Brand XYZ anywhere but you can only get our level of service here." Yes the initial vehicle cost will be higher but exemplary service before, during, and after the sale costs more. The bargain shopper never considers that the lowest price on a new vehicle will almost guarantee poor or non existent service after the sale. Unfortunately, many consumers never grasp this basic concept.

"I didn't sell it I won't service it", answer is, why didn't you sell it? Maybe if you weren't such a jerk you would have. You might show the customer that you have a great store and they may buy the next unit from you."

I paid my service techs very well based on a guarantee salary plus commission. During the busy season they made very good money while in the off season they could pay the bills. This allowed me to keep quality employees that provided the level of service I demanded. I would not hire temps, parts changers, or techs that didn't meet my level of proficiency just to run more vehicles through the service or warranty department. For this reason all potential customers were told that units we sold had service priority. We serviced other dealer's customers but they went to the back of the list. Many were very unhappy at first but we had an extremely high number that made their next purchase from us. Many of these customers had price shopped and went elsewhere for their purchase. "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

The internet shopping age has diminished the availability of quality service of nearly every product. When the purchase price is the driving force behind any purchase the selling party is often located many miles, or states, from the purchaser. The likelihood of returning to the seller for service, either customer paid or warranty, is small and the seller bases his business on volume and low price without consideration to servicing the product. The mfg's willingness to set up new dealers emphasizing moving product vs customer service is apparent. As a frugal and educated buyer paying a quality dealer with good service a few more bucks up front might be advisable based on the experiences reported on this forum and others.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, fuse, newmar