Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #1

Hello,

I have read several topics and sometimes the dealer is brought up because of something they did right or their lack of service. I am on my forth motorhome and three of them have been Newmar's. My first Newmar was a 2000 Dutchstar Diesel Pusher the Dealer was from Gillette, Wyoming. He took care of me and my coach very well. When I upgraded to a 2005 Mountain Aire Diesel Pusher my Gillette dealer couldn't sell me a Mountian Aire, so I started looking for a dealer. I found the coach I wanted online from Midway Motorhomes in Grand Rapid, MI. I talked to John Monterosso, the salesman, and I bought the Mountain Aire by him telling all about the coach and looking at pictures. I know I should have looked at it personally and driven it before hand but I trusted him. I was not disappointed. They delivered the coach and went over the how to's before they drove my trade-in to Michigan. All warranty was handled by talking to Wendy in parts and Dave in service. Two years later I saw an Essex that I liked on their web-site and called John again. Two weeks later they were delivering my Essex and driving home the Mountain Aire. Little problems that have come up again have been handled over the phone and parts sent by UPS. I couldn't be happier with Midway Motorhomes even if they were in Wyoming. I just wanted the Newmar Owners to know that I have been completely satisfied by my dealer even though we are 1700 miles apart.

Thanks
Charlie

Carlos151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #2

Hello,

I have read several topics and sometimes the dealer is brought up because of something they did right or their lack of service. I am on my forth motorhome and three of them have been Newmar's. My first Newmar was a 2000 Dutchstar Diesel Pusher the Dealer was from Gillette, Wyoming. He took care of me and my coach very well. When I upgraded to a 2005 Mountain Aire Diesel Pusher my Gillette dealer couldn't sell me a Mountian Aire, so I started looking for a dealer. I found the coach I wanted online from Midway Motorhomes in Grand Rapid, MI. I talked to John Monterosso, the salesman, and I bought the Mountain Aire by him telling all about the coach and looking at pictures. I know I should have looked at it personally and driven it before hand but I trusted him. I was not disappointed. They delivered the coach and went over the how to's before they drove my trade-in to Michigan. All warranty was handled by talking to Wendy in parts and Dave in service. Two years later I saw an Essex that I liked on their web-site and called John again. Two weeks later they were delivering my Essex and driving home the Mountain Aire. Little problems that have come up again have been handled over the phone and parts sent by UPS. I couldn't be happier with Midway Motorhomes even if they were in Wyoming. I just wanted the Newmar Owners to know that I have been completely satisfied by my dealer even though we are 1700 miles apart.

Thanks
Charlie

Carlos151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Charlie, since it was me that sort of started the "dealer issue" with respect to an individual that is in charge of ordering parts for Howard RV, I thought I would offer some commentary on my Newmar dealer experiences..

My first Newmar was an '07 Essex which I purchased here in Wilmington,NC at Howard RV.
I have since purchased an '07 London Aire,which I purchased from North Trail in Fort Myers,FL.

My initial purchase experience with Howard on the Essex was wonderful and the service after the sale was nothing but exemplary.
My issues with the Essex were related to a Spartan cooling issue and had nothing to do with Howard RV....I have currently encountered an issue with respect to what, for lack of better terms, I will classify as laziness of one individual at Howard RV. I have since met with John Howard and have been assured this problem has been addressed.
If I were in the area and interested in something Howard RV carried, I would not hesitate to deal with them....

As far as my LADB purchase, I could also recommend Diesel Dan in sales and the service guys at North Trail as I had a tremendous experience there as well.
Even before I had plans to purchase the LADB I had a slideout issue where the bedroom slide would not retract and North Trail sent out their mobile tech, KNOWING that I wasn't one of their customers.

For you mid US'ers, I've heard nothing but good things about Marty Lown and Coachlight and Lee Litchfield of Lee's RV...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #4

I bought my 2004 DSDP, 3807, from North Trail in Fort Myers, three years ago. I have been very pleased with the service there. I had to leave it, for the first time, yesterday to have some paint touch up done. My 3 year warranty is up the first of April, so I wanted to get it taken care of before then.
Usually I bring it in at 8:00 AM and I am headed home by noon.
I would be hard pressed to buy another MH, from anywhere else, since my main concern is service after the sale.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #5

Charlie, I would agree with you on Midway. We bought our Mt. Aire Gas from them. Great people. Took care of everything that needed attention. Would have gotten our DSDP from them but they didn't have what we were looking for.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #6

Just a plug for our Newmar dealer.....

RV America in Loveland,Colorado
Indoor showroom in excess of 20,000 square feet if I remember right.Fairly new to Newmar but doing everything right!
Owner Hari,my personal salesman Ed Beard,and all the other folks really made buying from RV America and Newmar an enjoyable experiance.Ed must have called 10 times while I was in Nappanee just to see how I liked our new Essex and if I needed anything! It's great that they stay so involved after the sale.Heard from Ed again last night!

Not sure but I think they are the nearest Newmar dealer to me anyway.That means a lot.

I highly recommend these folks!!!!

Ernie
g_essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #7

My experience on questions and a couple other stops at Autorama in Des Moines was quit the contrary. The prior owner of my unit had also informed me not to bother with them and it seems he was right. My son-in-law and I stopped one Saturday morning and I was unable to get anyone (3)off their "newspaper reading duffs." If they aren't interested in giving some service on the little things, I'm not about to give them a chance on the big ones.

03 VW Beetle TDI
Tony Van Helden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #8

After all the nice and deserving things said here regarding good experiences with different specific dealers, I feel the need to expand a bit on Bob's mention/recommendation of Marty Lown at Coachlight RV Sales, in Carthage, MO. We ordered and purchased our 2006 EXDP from Marty early in 2006. We came to him following 4 separate recomendations from very satisfied Newmar Essex customers. I can't imagine a more satisfactory purchasing experience from the order process, through the delivery process. Coachlight has won many awards, given by Newmar, for their service. As for price, I doubt many, if any will beat his pricing, and I know more than a few that won't touch it. The entire staff at Coachlight makes buying and servicing an enjoyable experience.

Like Bob, we have had more than our share of problems with our rig, almost exclusively having to do with the cooling system (Spartan has also been excellent with their support). On multiple occasions, we have needed to call Coachlight on the road (we are fulltimers) and they have never failed to give all the help they can and if unable to help, they have contacted for us those who can.

Lastly, Marty is one of the few dealers who has been placed in the RV Hall of Fame, and his is one of the few dealerships entrusted to sell the LADB, of which he has already sold multiple units. He has been in the RV business over 35 years.

2008 EXDP 4502
txwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

King, I was in negotiations with Marty to order an LADB when I came across the "in stock" unit in Tampa and just had to have it...

If I ever...ever need to make another coach purchase I would consider Marty and Coachlight along with Alan Erp and North Trail to be the premier dealerships in the Country.

Regrettably I must add some very discouraging words here IRT Howard RV in Wilmington.
Their parts manager is just not worth dealing with...I have NEVER had a more stressful experience with respect to ordering parts than I've had to endure with that gentleman.
I have informed Howard that as long as that gentleman is the "one" that orders parts for service work, I will take my service work elsewhere....SAD COMMENTARY, but my time and money....and sanity are worth something.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Bob, sounds to me like you are trying to get the guy fired. Is that your goal ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Bob, sounds to me like you are trying to get the guy fired. Is that your goal ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Steve,my goal is to be able to go to the closest Newmar dealer and be able to order parts AND expect the gentleman taking the order to actually PLACE the order and then followup on it...When I have to call Newmar myself to get a part number,then call him to order it AND call him to make sure he ordered it....I think that speaks for itself.

In this world of free enterprise, I will speak with my wallet.....ELSEWHERE.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sheesh, I guess he just didn't realize who he was dealing with. He sounds pretty much like the the parts guy at just about every dealer I've ever done any business with. Maybe that attitude is part of their training. I've had a bedroom window screen on order since we picked up the new coach in November, it's still not here.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sheesh, I guess he just didn't realize who he was dealing with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I could perceive this as a dig against me, maybe you're right....

He was dealing with a PAYING customer...

EDIT....

Actually some of these parts were warranty parts...
Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
My first thought would be.........you didn't buy the coach there, so they aren't interested in doing the warranty work.

After you spoke to John Howard, and he didn't drop a dime the parts guy, indicates they don't care to service your coach.

Many Newmar owners have encountered this mistreatment at dealers they didn't buy the coach from.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote