Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2005, 08:39 PM   #29

SPOONMAN: you may be right, but I think MOST Newmar owners are extreamly happy with the quality of their rigs, and that has developed into an almost fanatical loyalty. While none of us are happy about the reduced warranty announcement, it will take a major drop off in product quality to get MOST Newmar owners to "trade in" their coaches on SOB products. Just my opinion, as a highly satisfied owner of a mid-level Newmar Gas chassis product.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #30

Yesterday I spoke with Phil Stilley who schedules factory work for Newmar. He confirmed that the warranty on 2006 coaches is for 1 year.
Al
Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #31

As a prospective Newmar DP motorhome owner, albeit two years down the road, I'm very upset with the "rumor" they're cutting their 3 year "bumper-to-bumper" warranty back to just a year! I've e-mailed, through the Newmar website, a rumor "confirm or refute" request.

If Newmar acknowledges stepping back from their industry-leading warranty program, I plan to follow with an e-mail expressing my disappointment in the trading of their Mennonite souls for Fleetwood beans!

Al Daniels AKA Nomad Al
Little Rock, AR
E-mail: TreasCrvn@aol.com

'06 Tiffin "Allegro Bus 40DP"
Nomad Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Al, this is NOT a rumor. It is fact straight from Newmar.

We were in the process of looking for a new coach and as a result of this we bought another brand. We liked the Newmar products but honestly when you took away the longer warranty, the other brand (quality and options for price) were better than comparable Newmar units.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #33

Yes Nedra, it's true. Newmar is cutting its warranty from 3 years to just one. Here's the response that I just received to my "confirm or refute" e-note to Newmar:

"From: Frank Stefan
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 12:39 PM
To: Carol Thomas
Subject: RE: User Comments

MA DP, DS DP, KS DP, MA CA, KS CA & SD CA will all have a 1 year, unlimited mileage warranty for the 2006 model year . . ."

And yes, that's a tear you just saw fall into my beer. I, like you, will sadly erase Newmar from my DP motorhome short list.

Al Daniels AKA Nomad Al
Little Rock, AR

Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I, like you, will sadly erase Newmar from my DP motorhome short list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NOMAD Al : I'm sorry (and susprised) by Newmar"s VERY unpopular business decision to drop back to the 1 year warranty. HOWEVER, your statement leaves me somewhat bewildered in that you seem willing to write off an entire line of choices because they now offer the same warranty as almost ALL the other brands. If you ONLY look at brands with a three year warranty, you will have a short list indeed!

For what my opinion is worth, Newmar still makes an excellent coach (in ALL of the price points), and that makes the longer warranty LESS of an issue than it would be for some of the other manufacturers. ED
Old 05-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #35

I currently own a 2004 Winnebago and was seriously thinking about either a Newmar or Tiffin in 2 or 3 years but this will change things. I'll bet Newmar management is thinking just like our politicians, the public will forget all this in a year or two and the new RV owners will never even think about a long ago 3 year warranty. The next couple years will be interesting.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-02-2005, 10:25 PM   #36

I believe that prospective motorhome purchasers should cross Newmar off their list of potential coach builders – at least until we see what impact new management will have on product quality.

I interpret the '06 warranty reduction as a cost-cutting move by a new, "bean-counter mentality" manager that will ultimately lower product quality. Newmar's "3-year, Bumper-to-Bumper" warranty has obviously been costing too much, particularly in the "out years," i.e., during the second and third years of new coach ownership. Rather than taking steps to further improve quality control and eliminate the expense of redoing the manufacturing job a second time, new management decided to take the easy route: cut the company's exposure by two thirds – reduce the warranty from an industry-leading 3 years to the industry standard of 1 year. The savings will likely be dramatic during Newmar's 3-year strategic plan and a feather in the cap of the new manager – at least from the board of directors' perspective.

As a small business owner/manager and a prospective Newmar customer, I see the warranty reduction as the tip of an iceberg: the first, publicly visible evidence of a surfacing, new management philosophy. I believe that much of Newmar's past success is the reflection of former management's Amish/Mennonite heritage. As the late Virgil Miller, former President of Newmar Corporation said, "...Customers must be able to enjoy their Newmar RV for years to come. There is no other way for us. When we say, ˜Newmar Quality: A Way of Life,' we truly live it." (Quote from "The Newmar Story: 'We Mass Produce in Volumes of One." at Newmar website.) This "old fashioned" philosophy is evidently grating to the ears of Newmar's new, former Fleetwood Corporation, manager!

Al Daniels AKA Nomad Al
Owner/Manager – Treasure Caravan
Little Rock, AR
E-mail: TreasCrvn@aol.com

Old 05-03-2005, 05:57 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

As Edgray said, I agree that the 3 year warranty removal is a bad move but I don't think that it impacts the quality of their coaches. They are still well built. We came pretty close to buying a Newmar, but in the end, ruled it out. It was NOT the quality that turned us away. I feel that the Newmar line was on an equal footing with the Tiffin line. It was the little features that made the difference plus the fact that Newmar charged a premium for the same things that we had in the Allegro Bus. I feel that the 3 year warranty definitely added value to the coach but Tiffin is known for going above and beyond the "official" written one year warranty and positive responses to that effect by other Tiffin owners pretty much leveled that playing field. Had i been comparing to another brand with a 1 year warranty the Newmar 3 year warranty would definitely have been a plus on their side.

However, I also recognize a valid point that Nomad Al brought up. The possibility does exist that the bean counter attitude may affect other areas of the operation and down the road - who knows? Some of the more recent policy changes there do tend to support this theory.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #38

As a dedicated Winnebago owner exasperated by the lack of quality control of the manufacturer and the incompetence of the dealer, I began looking at other products, including Newmar. The Newmar products were "pricey." The selling point was the 3 year warranty. If my MADP only had a one year warranty, I probably would have bought an Allegro Bus and saved about $50,000 (or a Zephyr for about the same money).
palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #39

Are they dropping the prices also? I was considering a new Kountry Star DP, mainly cause of their 3 yr warranty; now I will look at other brands. My two cents. I guess it's time to buy stock in Tiffin.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess it's time to buy stock in Tiffin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fla2RI : THAT is a great idea, but I doubt the Tiffin family members (the sole owners) are looking to sell!