Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Seems the EPA introduced additional DEF sensor requirements in 2016. These newer DEF assemblies seem to have MUCH higher failure rates than the older ones.

Our 2013 has had no DEF issues to date…..but there are many,many reports of newer (2017+) coaches that are being left stranded when the DEF head fails, and there are no replacements to be had (COVID, chip shortages, etc…)

Here is just one of many threads on this issue

DEF head derate
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/see-post-527-def-head-derate-emergency-temporary-travel-procedure-540696.html
I also have a 2013- no def issues. I tow a f150 without issue. In 2013 the DS has the framed sliding windows, that was changed in 2014 to the tip out frameless window. I understand they have been somewhat troublesome with adhesive breaking down. Most, if not all Newmars and many other brands will have upholstery peeling after a few years requiring you to replace the material or live with ugliness.
Traveling with 3 standard poodles may present some challenges. Some RV parks have a limit on # of dogs ( usually 2) or total weight but but checking things out in advance you'll be able to find places to stay. Good luck... shopping is fun , but now things are selling at a premium..... you might want to shop now and plan to buy in a year, if you're not in a hurry.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurtis226 View Post
I'm just concerned if I buy a 15 year old coach, it'll be in the shop more than being on the road. And then if I can't depend on it to get us to Alaska, well......
Well…. The same happens to newer coaches too. Most older coaches have the quirks worked out already. Ours has been extremely reliable.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #17

Not fulltime use, but when we go, it'll probably be a 2 to 3 month continuous trip.
rcurtis226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #18

Quote:
One of my other challenges is that we have to have a king bed and 1 1/2 bathrooms. I'm 63, and in relatively good health. Wife is 54. I don't mind spending $300k, but it appears with fuel costs more than likely going up, previous 2 years were an anomaly, and buying right now while the rv market is on a high, will lead to losing probably at least half of what we paid for it. The used ones seem to stabilize in depreciation once they get close to $125k. I'm just concerned if I buy a 15 year old coach, it'll be in the shop more than being on the road. And then if I can't depend on it to get us to Alaska, well......
We purchased our first Motorhome 3 years ago from original owner. It was 14 year old Newmar MA, the unit was well maintained with 58K miles.
To date the coach has been very reliable, we replaced the air dryer and starter in the first year and since have only done annual maintenance. Tires aged out this spring so, new Michelin’s all around.

We spend 3 summer months in it and find the lack of sophisticated electronics to be a plus.

We wanted to start in the shallow end of the pool as we didn’t know if we would like traveling by Motorhome. Buying an older quality coach limited our up front cost and depreciation exposure.

By the way we do enjoy traveling by coach.

Good shopping!
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway View Post
We purchased our first Motorhome 3 years ago from original owner. It was 14 year old Newmar MA, the unit was well maintained with 58K miles.
To date the coach has been very reliable, we replaced the air dryer and starter in the first year and since have only done annual maintenance. Tires aged out this spring so, new Michelin’s all around.

We spend 3 summer months in it and find the lack of sophisticated electronics to be a plus.

We wanted to start in the shallow end of the pool as we didn’t know if we would like traveling by Motorhome. Buying an older quality coach limited our up front cost and depreciation exposure.

By the way we do enjoy traveling by coach.

Good shopping!
Thanks for the share. It seems that buying the older MA or LA, say 10 years old or so, can really provide reliable times, and mitigate the depreciation factor. In some case, it seems the more electronics a person has, the more likely a problem arises. Do you tow with your MA? When you travel, are you in mountainous terrain? What do you get for fuel economy and at what speed do you cruise the Interstates? Also, how much of your annual maintenance can you do yourself and what is a good average cost? Thanks
Old 08-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #20

We purchased a 2016 Dutch Star last December,and could not be happier.Our model was discontinued so we looked for used instead of new.The amount of money saved on used, can also buy a lot of fuel.We also liked the color choices of 2016.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #21

previously loved

We purchased a 1999 Dutch Star for about $29,000 and have put a new Flex Guard Roof for about 8k with replacing a some plywood sheets, with a lifetime guarantee (were both in our 60's and getting up on the roof to caulk ain't happening). We replaced the the tires 10k, and changed the fluids. My brother spent
over 160k on a new coach a few years ago and visits it occasionally in the shop, lol.
If you search you can certainly find a used coach that has been maintained and the bugs have been worked out. Ours is a diesel pusher with only 100,000 miles, just wet behind the ears. Don't throw away your money, Enjoy the search and learn as you go!
Dutch1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #22

Tiffin allegro bus 45LP

Looking at a 2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP tomorrow in Bradenton Fl. Anyone have any experience with those? Anything I should pay particular attention to. Its got 47k on it
Old 08-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Thanks for the share. It seems that buying the older MA or LA, say 10 years old or so, can really provide reliable times, and mitigate the depreciation factor. In some case, it seems the more electronics a person has, the more likely a problem arises. Do you tow with your MA? When you travel, are you in mountainous terrain? What do you get for fuel economy and at what speed do you cruise the Interstates? Also, how much of your annual maintenance can you do yourself and what is a good average cost? Thanks
I do tow, a SRX Caddy on Landgrebe dolly (estimated weight 5200 lbs).
Also I occasionally tow a 24’ enclosed car trailer to track day events. Estimate car and trailer combo weight 8K lbs.
Haven’t traveled mountainous terrain yet, forest fires and extreme heat waves have kept us east of the Missouri River.
Fuel economy (per Bluefire for Motorhomes) is 8.5, we run the genny while underway, I expect fuel economy figure doesn’t account for genny fuel consumption.
Cruise Interstate at 65 mph, which is 1575 rpm, per Bluefire.
I don’t do chassis maintenance as I don’t have anywhere to perform it. It pains me to hire it out as I have experience maintaining a small truck fleet, just not practical at this stage of retirement.
I can trouble shoot electrical issues (DC &AC).
I avoid plumbing when possible.
I budget $5K a year for maintenance and repairs. Keep in mind I only have 3 years of history so my budget is more of a guess.
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:14 AM   #24

Ok. Thanks so much.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:18 AM   #25

Discontinued

Well, I'm calling off the search. I can't seem to find a RV park within 50 miles of where my home construction. They're either all booked, or don't take dogs unless they're 20 pounds or, the park is a front for a method lab. Very disappointing.........Guess I should invest in a 10 acre parcel and run my own park.
Thanks for the information everyone and safe travels. SMH......
Old 08-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Hello everyone. We live in Cape Coral Fl. We retired here 3.5 years ago and thought we'd only need to live here, forever and ever. But, there are too many beautiful places to visit. I am searching for what appears to be the "go to" for MH. A used Newmar Dutch Star. I don't feel like I can trust a salesman, so,,,,I'm asking the folks that have first hand experience. My budget doesn't allow to buy a new one. I'd like to stay under $300k. Is there a better year than another for buying a used one? For example, is the 2016 better than the 2015. Etc, etc. We will be traveling with 3 standard poodles. And thats another issue when it comes time to reserve a campsite. We will aslo be towing a Ford Expedition that's 4wd. Please advise. Thanks
Try Independence RV in Winter Haven , FL. We just purchased a 2016 Ventana by Newmar from them back in April and we couldn't be happier. They are Newmar dealers and have some clean, low mileage units and they were very honest and professional. Worth a try. No pressure.
RH401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #27

Newmar Dutch Star

Shop around! I am on my second Newmar! First was a 2004 Kountry Star. Now, I have a 2008 Kountry Star 3916, with 400hp Cummins! Four slides. Great coach, with 33k miles. (26k when I bought it). I’m the second owner. I really wasn’t shopping when I ran across the 2008. It was a product of a divorce. After some negotiations, I spent just north of $100k. The only thing I have done, other than normal maintenance is replaced both front tires (over 7 years old)! And, no DEF.
Good luck with your search! Jay
Old 08-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #28

The Dutch Star is a really good balance between cost and quality of components used. The resale value is also very good. For $300k you can get something just a year or two old with very low miles. If you can find the floor plan and colors you like you wont be disappointed.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, newmar