Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar Electric Slide Outs, DAMN, Here We Go Again!

I'm the original poster of the "Own A Newmar With Electric Slide Outs... Read THIS!" post. If you followed the lengthy thread you know the history of the "loose" mount bolts, failed motor mounts, Newmar FINALLY releasing a TSB and ensuing discussion on methods to prevent future failures! For me, being from Aerospace, In October of 2016 I went with bolt replacement and safety wiring of the new bolts (See Pic01). Well... Here we go again!! This morning while leaving Terra Haute IN I noticed red lubricant dripping on the edge of my slide out tray (See Pic02). When I investigated I found my motor mounts BREAKING AGAIN!!! As you can see all of the bolts on the Living Room gear casing are safety wired and tight!! However, both of the outboard gear casing mounts are broken out of the gear case (See Pic03 & 04)!! And the two inboard mounts are cracked (See Pic 05 & 06)! The upper inboard mount appears to be the least cracked but I would guess we were just one or two slide out cycles from total failure!! To me, this failure indicates that "loose bolts" contributed to the previous failures BUT, it appears that even with safety wire, lock washers, Blue Loctite or any other fix there is an INHERENT DESIGN FLAW in the motor case design... Even with "torqued" mount bolts, the repeated torqueing of the motor/gear box assembly during slide operation can fail the mounts!!! Just for reference, I keep accurate records of coach operation. The living room slide has been cycled (out/in) 133 times since being safety wired. So, if you think you have a "Bullet Proof" solution, like I did... Think again!!

We're on the road making our way home with the Living Room slide closed! We'll be scheduling a motor replacement AND a small bedroom slide motor inspection (above the TAG wheel), the Kitchen slide motor is fine as is the "bed" bedroom slide which I just replaced!! Newmar, I can't tell you how disappointed I am!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic01.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	210937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic02.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	210938  

Name:	Pic03.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	210939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic04.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	210940  

Name:	Pic05.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	210941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic06.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	210942  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #2

I've had 3 of the 4 slides fail, one twice. First one was on our second trip, the kitchen slide chain broke and wadded up in the gears. Second failure was a gear in the motor gearcase in the drivers side bedroom slide broke off a few teeth. Third failure is similar to what you posted. The gearcase broke open on the drivers side living room slide. Fourth failure was on the drivers side living room slide when the stop rod pulled right out of the thin metal bracket on the slide.
You are right-- poor design and even worse implementation.
We had our prior coach ( Fleetwood) for 13 years and used it a lot-- had one slide failure ( broken gear in gearcase).... I too am very disappointed in Newmar's implementation -- I sort of cringe everytime I open or close any of the slides. Not a pleasant situation.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had these problems back in the early 2000-10 years the gear casings must have been changed to a different MFG.
Not sure who were the older ones and I wonder if the casings are the same that RV Upgrades sells.
Has anyone ever replaced one of their motors or gear housings and have there been any problems after doing so.
The heavier slides can not take "the torque of motor" through the gear housing,
that's matched up with it
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
PanJH, I think you are right. Over the years the slides got bigger, loaded with heavy equipment an more storage. Also aluminum casting for the motor housing is not the best material. I cringe every time have to move a slide and hear It creaking. I feel it is just matter of time.....
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
I'm the original poster of the "Own A Newmar With Electric Slide Outs... Read THIS!" post. If you followed the lengthy thread you know the history of the "loose" mount bolts, failed motor mounts, Newmar FINALLY releasing a TSB and ensuing discussion on methods to prevent future failures! For me, being from Aerospace, In October of 2016 I went with bolt replacement and safety wiring of the new bolts (See Pic01). Well... Here we go again!! This morning while leaving Terra Haute IN I noticed red lubricant dripping on the edge of my slide out tray (See Pic02). When I investigated I found my motor mounts BREAKING AGAIN!!! As you can see all of the bolts on the Living Room gear casing are safety wired and tight!! However, both of the outboard gear casing mounts are broken out of the gear case (See Pic03 & 04)!! And the two inboard mounts are cracked (See Pic 05 & 06)! The upper inboard mount appears to be the least cracked but I would guess we were just one or two slide out cycles from total failure!! To me, this failure indicates that "loose bolts" contributed to the previous failures BUT, it appears that even with safety wire, lock washers, Blue Loctite or any other fix there is an INHERENT DESIGN FLAW in the motor case design... Even with "torqued" mount bolts, the repeated torqueing of the motor/gear box assembly during slide operation can fail the mounts!!! Just for reference, I keep accurate records of coach operation. The living room slide has been cycled (out/in) 133 times since being safety wired. So, if you think you have a "Bullet Proof" solution, like I did... Think again!!

We're on the road making our way home with the Living Room slide closed! We'll be scheduling a motor replacement AND a small bedroom slide motor inspection (above the TAG wheel), the Kitchen slide motor is fine as is the "bed" bedroom slide which I just replaced!! Newmar, I can't tell you how disappointed I am!!

Is it possible that the torque setting that turns the motor off is not set correctly? I will be checking mine on my 18 DS sooner than later. Thought this was fixed.
Thanks for your update and sorry for your problems.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Is it possible that the torque setting that turns the motor off is not set correctly? I will be checking mine on my 18 DS sooner than later. Thought this was fixed.
Thanks for your update and sorry for your problems.
There is no torque setting. The controller is supposed to detect the stall current when the slide stops moving and turn the motor off. One of my slides is no longer doing that so I watch the slide moving and immediately release the switch when the slides stops. On the list for Newmar to fix in September.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #7

Following this thread for sure. Hopefully my new 18 will not see these failures...
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post

Can you clarify what you are calling a "mount"? Do you mean the female threaded portion of the housing/gearbox?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #9

Yikes. Troubling indeed. Maybe the smaller slides from earlier years take less of a toll on the motor mounts? Or as already suggested, maybe different manufacturers?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #10

This is really weird. The assumption was that the loose bolts would allow the motor/gearbox to rotate and eventually break the female boss off the case ... this is quite different since the bosses are still firmly bolted to the frame flange. You would think a correctly adjusted current limiter would stop the motor long before this would happen.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #11

The current limiter might be the problem in this case. We have had Newmar coaches for 21 years, ( 2LA and 1 Essex), and after thousands of cycles we found that the bolts to the slide out motor coming loss was our biggest problem. After coming with using Lock-Tight on slide motor bolts we ended our slide out motor damage. We would always take our hand off the switch as soon as the slide was in. The new 18 LA with the HWH slide assembly to be along with Star improvement the answer as a better system.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #12

Hate to say I told you so, but I did tell you safety wire guys that safety wire won’t fix a bad joint with inadequate fasteners. I posted that months ago.

If the parts aren’t clamped together tightly enough, the joint will start to slip and eventually destroy one or both components whether they unscrew themselves or not.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A couple of other things, older slides you could push the button and slide would continue after you removed your finger, was not necessary to hold button, and when the slide reached its limit either way, in or out, the controller would shut off motor from operating..
Now a days you have to hold button down and I have no idea what the controller will do and you now have the C-Storm controller.
The motor torque is ripping your gear housing apart, never had motor & gear housing moving either, they were permanently mounted.
At this point I think Newmar is going to have a large recall when they figure what is going on.
Like I said the gear housing was different in time period I mentioned never had a split housing or loose bolts where you have had to wire bolts to keep in place.
You will have to work with Newmar because this problem is not going to be fixed with the combination of gear box they use now and motor.
The motor maybe fine with painted bolts but gear box is not.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
PanJH, I think you are right. Over the years the slides got bigger, loaded with heavy equipment an more storage. Also aluminum casting for the motor housing is not the best material. I cringe every time have to move a slide and hear It creaking. I feel it is just matter of time.....
I have the same coach as you and the same fear as well. Just got it out of shop after a 3 week BR slide motor repair. Problem was diagnosed as busted bearings. Got ext. warranty approval to replace motor. Newmar sent motor 3-5 day shipping...took 9 days. Shop replaced motor. Moved slide in/out 5-6 times, all was well. Re-assembled the entire bed including airing up the select comfort. Tech opened the slide for final clean-up and slide went out 4" and stopped. After 1.5 hrs of troubleshooting with motor manuf. it was determined the motor was defective. Long story short, manuf. pd shop to disassemble bed, remove motor and waited 3-5 more days. Motor arrived and was installed. Motor worked great, brake on motor didn't. A new brake was sent to attach to motor and it was bad. Ended up putting brake from original motor(after getting authorization from manuf. as well as warranty co.) and now all is well(fingers/eyes/arms/toes crossed)HOPEFULLY END OF STORY!

Tags
electric, newmar, slide, slide out