RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Newmar estimate

I'm interested in replacing the carpet in my '04 DS with hardwood or quality laminate. Without taking it to Camp Newmar - can they provide me an estimate to do? I'm trying to figure out the best place to take it. The fees seem to vary widely from local sources and I'm not sure of their experience with some of them.

GN2ZDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know of a well established firm in Charlotte NC. What Area do you live and would this be close enough for you?

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I get email estimates from Newmar for work/service on my '02 DS.

I would email customer service and ask what your options are in regards to replacing flooring in your coach at Newmar.

I know they will refurbish/redo insides of coaches with new wall paper, window treatments, and the like. What I do not know is how the owner went about options and getting the work complete; a visit to Nappanee, through email and perhaps, phone.

Try email - you have nothing to loose.......

Good luck!

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I know of a well established firm in Charlotte NC. What Area do you live and would this be close enough for you?
I"m in North TX - would love to find something local so I don't need to wait elsewhere, for the coach to be done, with all my dogs.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #5

Might check with Ernie Ekberg in Weatherford. Did a good job on ours
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvm1970 View Post
Might check with Ernie Ekberg in Weatherford. Did a good job on ours

For some reason I thought he was in AZ. Ill contact him 😃
Old 11-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #7

We have an 04 Essex and I just replaced carpet with laminate so I know all about what to do on that project. We wanted to keep the tile in kitchen area so when we put the laminate floor in we had to raise the base floor height so the tile and laminate would be at the same height. Didn't know what problems that would cause with the flat floor slide on DS. Had to replace rolls and build up ramp to get it all to work. More time working on getting slide out work good then put new floor in. Turned out great but get someone who has done the project before if you have a flat floor on the slide.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #8

We didn't change flooring, but Newman was great about giving us estimates on several modifications to our new-to-us Dutch Star.

Actual costs came in very close to the estimates and the work looks like it came that way originally.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slolane View Post
We didn't change flooring, but Newman was great about giving us estimates on several modifications to our new-to-us Dutch Star.

Actual costs came in very close to the estimates and the work looks like it came that way originally.
Got an estimate in from them today - WAAAAAY too much. Have much better quotes locally. Wowzer.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I did the work myself. When we got our Gas Mountainaire the previous owner said the one thing he did not like was the carpeting. Just using it, it gets stained easily. We agreed and my wife picked out a wood laminate by Mohawk Flooring from the local Carpet and Flooring store. I stopped at NewMar for the factory tour and paid special attention as to how the flooring was installed. The Laminate could be glued, stapled or as a floating floor. The Floating Idea was out mainly because of the slide moving the floor. I was concerned about stapling it as I wasn't sure if a staple penetrated the subfloor what it would hit below. So I glued it. The hardest part of the job was pulling the thousands of staples from the carpet out of the subfloor. I remove the tile and ended up using a belt sander to smooth the OSB floor that pulled up at the surface. I left the carpet on the slide and doghouse. I made an oak floor grate for the heat duct and trimmed the step with a lighter stained Oak, mainly to highlight the step area, for safety. All in all it came out pretty good and in the past 5 years since I did it I have received many complements on the job.

I got a couple of prices from Coach refurbishers and decided I could due it for a lot cheaper. The materials cost about $550 and I still have a case of flooring left over. The floor cleans a lot easier since I changed it to wood.

TOM
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #11

Yes, you can get a quote from them without bringing in the coach, but when I got a quote, their price was WAY more than anyone else. You are better off getting quotes from other places. Contact Ernie Ekberg. He does really good wood and his prices are good.

Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar