Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2005, 01:59 AM   #15

First let me get a towel for Troth (thats funny).I believe Newmar was playing "hardball" with us because I stated I would take them to the lemon law (which i did and lost because I did'nt have enough days out for repair, they count different than I).So the list grew.But as 007 stated i did have 4 more months under the lemon law. Just last weekend through my dealer I was given a partial refund and was able to sell my Scottsdale to another dealer,HOORAY! I am so relieved its over.So now I am no longer a Newmar owner,I am now a Newmar hater! Should I make that my nickname?Yes 007 it is a W22 with 19.5" wheels and you are correct I should have looked underneath to see if it was stretched.I was a bit green then,but oh my I have learned about motorhomes in the last 2 years.When we baught the dealer had the Scottsdale on a Ford, not a WCC but I wanted the WCC because it offered the best ride in its class.So we factory ordered with out a test drive and we took delivery with out a test drive because my dealer gave me all kinds of EXCUSES and PROMISES.The guy I delt with is the owners son so I felt I could trust him(first mistake).A manufacturer needs to make entry level motorhomes at affordable prices,we were told that the difference between the Scottsdale and the Kountrystar were trim levels only and the chassis were identical.Based on that we chose the Scottsdale.Later we found that the Kountrystar had a longer wheelbase and 22.5" tires.Were we lied to or did he just not know?.In building an enrtylevel motorhome a manufacturer should not cut costs to the point where it is unsafe to drive.It should be done with lesser trim levels and lesser option availability.Thats what I call selling the sizzle and not the steak.This certainly did'nt make us a loyal Newmar owner.My wife and I have a Suncruiser by Itasca on hold but we are affraid to sign on the line after this experience, thanks Mahlon Miller. Jerry Logan
jerry7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2005, 06:24 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like I implied your dealer should have been up front with you. He was more interested in his pockets than your satisfaction.
To "hate" someone isn't the answer, to learn would be the better answer.
You would have very few on that campaign, to join you. You have learned from mistakes with this dealer, not thru Newmar.
It doesn't matter what Mfg or dealer you deal with the desision is in your lap after the final . on the line. Good luck in your final choice, I think you know what to look for with this experience behind you. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I think part of the blame lies in you for relying on the dealer for all of your information. Wheelbase length is listed right in the brochure for each model as well as on the website. It is very easy to see that the wheelbase on the Scottsdale is significantly shorter than the comparable size Kountry Star. Relying on an RV dealer for factual information is like relying on a car dealer. A smart shopper relies on research outside of the dealership.

The Scottsdale is NOT unsafe to drive, but I do agree that the wheelbase should be longer. It's not, so people considering the Scottsdale always have the option of not buying it. It may pose some problems with bumpy rides but we have driven our coach for 2 years in very windy weather and heavy rain and have never had a problem since the shocks were changed.

Your anger and frustration is understandable but remember that you cannot blame the dealer for your not doing your homework before signing on the dotted line. Don't condemn Newmar as being negligent or disreputable when it is very clear that they are not totally to blame here. Hate is a very harsh word for a company that is only partially to blame for all your problems.

Perhaps you can learn from your mistakes and move on without further disparaging remarks. Maybe you will get lucky and find a dealer who is more honest and you will find another rig that will can satisfy your needs.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #18

007, just a small correction. The Dutch Star was the entry level Gas Model not the Kountry Star. The Dutch Star was renamed to a Scottsdale starting with the 2003 model year. Prior to 2003 the gas models were Dutch Star, Kountry Star and Mountain Aire. Starting in 2003 it is the Scottsdale, Kountry Star and Mountain Aire.

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
CAD-Man your right, my memory keeps slipping these days, time sure flys. --"007"
Old 03-26-2005, 02:13 PM   #20

Hi Vetteldy76. We too have a Scottsdale and love it. We must have been one of the lucky ones because we have not had it in for any repairs or service over and above normal service. This one was just about perfect. Yes there were a couple of thing to fix but I did them myself. Bottom line is that I would buy another Newmar again. Also, do you travel with your Vette? (trailer it) Car shows, etc. We have a '86 vette and are wanting to take it to shows and events around the country. Might have to buy a car hauler type trailer. I was just wondering what you folks do.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:10 PM   #21

Well I guess I must have done it the right way as they repaired my 5th wheel 4 years out of warr. I really think his dealer needed to help out some more on the information. I know I did not buy my unit until I towed it about 70 to 80 miles and had an ideal how it pulled. I also would NEVER buy anything that I did not test drive and if that was the first time I drove something of that class I would make sure to drive several brands to have a solid basis for making a decision. IMHO

Grant
96 Ford Powerstroke, CC,Long bed DRW, TWildman custom burned 4 pos chip, 3.0 downpipe and Bully Dog 4.0 exhaust, cat deleted, AFE intake system,boost,pyro (located post turbo),trans gage (located in test port),Torqueshift tranny cooler,Firestone air
Horse-Show Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its great to see your back on the road again, Grant, I would say you done it right, happy motoring. ---"007"
Old 04-02-2005, 02:32 AM   #23

Hi LittleGuyCamper,

We do not tow anything at the moment. We normally camp every weekend only an hour from home (at least for now). We are not retired so this is a weekend hobby.
Good luck with your quest for a trailer. Vettes are the BEST!

2004 Nissan Titan
Vetteldy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #24

I have a 2004 Kountry Star and havent had any problems other then some peeling Kountry Star Logos, Everything else has been fine. The Scottsdale 3201 on the ford Chassis is a little rough riding but it is stable,certainly nothing like Hurricane,or Brave or other entry level coaches. The Scottsdale 3201 on the WH Chassis handles very well in comparison, The drivibility factor of .49 is certainly acceptable when you consider the way Newmar pays attention to proper balance and weight distribution.If you check your weight dist numbers that are in your info package you will see this. One must always make sure that you drive within the limitations of your MH no matter what it is, there are lots of aftermarket products that will enhance the performance of your MH as well such as Sway Controls , Steering Centering devices, Track Bars, Quality Shocks etc.

Phil