Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 AM   #1

Hello friends,

We ordered a 2005 Scottsdale last summer and took deliver of it in late August 2004. We drove it until November and made a "punch list" of everything that we found wrong or not working. Their were 4 major things: Our cherry floor had some type of glue all over it which we could not take off with solvent they suggested, our microwave/convection oven face looked like someone had taken a scouring pad to it and it was all scratched up, whenever we accelerated there would be an ABS warning bell that would go off, the hydraulic levelers were slow to come up (about 17 minutes for the rear). There were about 20 other smaller issues.
We live a little south of Indy so it was going to be a 2 1/2 hour drive up to Nappanee. We made an appt in November for December 2. We drove it up and dropped it off. They called us the next day and asked if they could put some other people in front of us due to the fact that we were not planning to drive again until Spring. We agreed. In mid February they called and said by the next week they would be finished. Sure enough we went up to get it about the 3rd week of Feb. They went through the entire coach with us and told us what we had complained about and how they had fixed it.
We were very happy that they replaced the ENTIRE CHERRY FLOOR throughout! They couldnt get the glue up off the floor either. Everything else was done to our satisfaction except for the microwave door. It still had swirl marks all over it. They gave us a phone number to call and said that a GE rep would come to our home and replace the microwave door.
We are very pleased with Newmar. They were fabulous and that is the main reason we decided to buy a Newmar. We had already heard that they had fantastic Service and that is what's important after you drive away for the first time in your new rig. Thanks Newmar for living up to our expectations.

2004 Nissan Titan
Vetteldy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 AM   #2

Hello friends,

We ordered a 2005 Scottsdale last summer and took deliver of it in late August 2004. We drove it until November and made a "punch list" of everything that we found wrong or not working. Their were 4 major things: Our cherry floor had some type of glue all over it which we could not take off with solvent they suggested, our microwave/convection oven face looked like someone had taken a scouring pad to it and it was all scratched up, whenever we accelerated there would be an ABS warning bell that would go off, the hydraulic levelers were slow to come up (about 17 minutes for the rear). There were about 20 other smaller issues.
We live a little south of Indy so it was going to be a 2 1/2 hour drive up to Nappanee. We made an appt in November for December 2. We drove it up and dropped it off. They called us the next day and asked if they could put some other people in front of us due to the fact that we were not planning to drive again until Spring. We agreed. In mid February they called and said by the next week they would be finished. Sure enough we went up to get it about the 3rd week of Feb. They went through the entire coach with us and told us what we had complained about and how they had fixed it.
We were very happy that they replaced the ENTIRE CHERRY FLOOR throughout! They couldnt get the glue up off the floor either. Everything else was done to our satisfaction except for the microwave door. It still had swirl marks all over it. They gave us a phone number to call and said that a GE rep would come to our home and replace the microwave door.
We are very pleased with Newmar. They were fabulous and that is the main reason we decided to buy a Newmar. We had already heard that they had fantastic Service and that is what's important after you drive away for the first time in your new rig. Thanks Newmar for living up to our expectations.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 AM   #3

Vetteldy, you can't find a better manufacture than Newmar for Service or Warranty work, I'am glad everything came out to your liking. Ed. S
Old 03-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
An just think about it, you will get the same service for the next two years if need be. I don't know how people manage with one year. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #5

This is what I know....three years..what a warranty. Is there anyone else that has bumper to bumper that is three years ?
Michael Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:17 AM   #6

Believe us when we tell you we know what it's like to have poor service. We had a brand new Coachmen Santara prior to our Newmar and it was nothing but fighting with and going back to the dealer and factory. Finally everything was fixed but certainly not without alot of grief. They never treated us like we knew what we were talking about or with the respect that Newmar did. We are absolutely certain that we made the RIGHT decision in buying the Newmar. No one else has that 3 year warranty either! People would be foolish to buy anything else.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-23-2005, 02:38 AM   #7

I also was glad Newmar had a 3 year warranty because at the 20 month point of ownership the list had grown to 56 items and was'nt getting fixed.I figured they gave 3 years because it would take that long to do anything.By the way i did a wheelbase to length ratio on my Scottsdale and found it was the shortest wheelbase of all 34' to 35' motorhomes on a W22.I found that Newmar stretched a 208" wb to 216" instead of building on a 228" right from WCC,that combined with 19.5" tires instead of 22.5" save them about $2,000.00.Is that quality?
jerry7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:10 AM   #8

jerry7up, let me anwser your question on Newmar quality this way , I've been a Newmar Owner since 1996 and have bought four coaches from Newmar the latest being my 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire and I have never as well as other satisfied Newmar Owners had any problems with getting Warranty Work or Non-Warranty Work performed by Newmar, perhaps it's your demeanor in how you approach Newmar Corporation, I've been following your posts on the Newmar Owners group at Yahoo and you have cause quite a stir on that forum. Ed. S
Old 03-23-2005, 04:23 AM   #9

Dear Ed,it is my understanding that this forum as well as other forums is to discuss issues about motorhomes,not personalities.My purpous for posting and reading other post's is to educate myself as well as others about RV'ing.Anything that I have posted here I believe to be the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. I hope that you don't take this stuff personally. Jerry Logan
Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Jerry, I'm going to have to agree whole heartedly with Ed. I have followed your posts here and on the Winnebago group. Perhaps it is your approach that is causing the problems in getting work done. You continue to bash Newmar and the Scottsdale for being garbage but the bottom line is that the Scottsdale is an ENTRY level unit. The shorter wheel base does save Newmar money but that is one of the ways they have been able to get the price down to a level that makes it entry level. I have the Scottsdale and yes it did bounce but when the shocks were replaced it resolved most of the problem but it's not ever going to be the kind of ride you might get with a DP or a high end unit with a longer wheel base.

If you are that unhappy with this "inferior" coach get rid of it and stop complaining about it. Your posts are NOT to educate others about RVing because you obviously know nothing about it or about RV's!
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #11

Thank you for your opinion Nedra
Old 03-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jerry, are you sure you have a WH chassis an not a Ford, $98,878 compared to $111,398 for WH? WH is a option in the Scottsdale lineup. You have waited to long for 56 items to be fix by factory service. They will fix 4 major items on a visit to them. Dealer should have taken care of most items by now 20 months. Newmar has stretched KS's on a Ford chassis. The KS was the entry level coach before the Scottsdale line started. Dealer should have informed you of this fact. You should have checked under chassis yourself, before you purchased. I have post the chassis mod., on this forum myself, an stated what had to be done for the Ford chassis's to carry the Newmar coachs. Any entry level coach will be modified by Mfg's to cut costs for a entry level RVer so they can start purchases of their product line. The cost difference between Ford an WH is more than $2,000 an quality has nothing to do with it. Did you ever compare the two chassis with a ride? If the dealer allowed you the same test drive between the two, the differences should have been noticeable by you. Even if you were a first time buyer this should have been noticeable. Its to late now to make comparisons, you have owned the coach for 20 months, you should have asked 20 months ago. You still have 4 months left to correct some of your 50 defects, if you can make your case they may do even more for you.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #13

Jerry7up,
What are these 50+ items that need to be fixed and why weren't they during the last 20 months?

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #14