Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Newmar Factory Tour

We went to the Newmar factory for the first time, in order to have some work done on our (new to us) coach. It certainly was an enlightening experience. The tour was great seeing how the assembly line like manufacturing on these large vehicles was done. We saw a full wall slide being installed & was amazed as to how quickly it was done. Also, we saw them sliding units from one location to another. My understanding was they had increased their production from three (3) units per day to seven (7) & added about 150 additional employees. We truly saw the units coming out of the building behind us completed & going through there PDI. The service tech we had was great & provided a lot of information. He fixed some small items at no charge & explained a lot of questions we had, on some of the systems.

Some of the chatter in the lounge area was about the correct procedure for leveling the coach with slides out before or after the leveling process. The tech told us to put slides out first, dump air & level. The manual says "Warning" level first then put out the slides! Who do you believe?

There were a lot of customers in the camping area with 2014 models for quality issues on their new units. Some of the chatter was about quality control perhaps being effected by increased production.

Overall the experience was great, we met a lot nice people & established some new friendships.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Do what the manual says. Putting a slide out doesn't effect balance as much as it puts strain on the chassis, etc. Therefore, I dump air, level, put slide(s) out, and check against the level to make any fine adjustments that need to be made.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

We were at the factory 3 weeks ago and grilled them on the new leveling procedure, we have never had a problem when we leveled first and then extended the slides. Their story is since the coaches are built at "Ride Height" then slides should be deployed and retracted at Ride Height. We tried the new method on the way back home and it works fine but we're got a couple of small plywood shavings on the floor?? To make life easier on our batteries, we plug in to shore power before we extend slides, and we run the motor while we level. so using the new method, we shut off the motor to extend the slides and then restart the motor to deploy the leveling legs, another example of coaches being designed and built by folks who have not ever used one.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The coaches are also built on a perfectly flat floor, unlike many parking/camping sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
We were at the factory 3 weeks ago and grilled them on the new leveling procedure, we have never had a problem when we leveled first and then extended the slides. Their story is since the coaches are built at "Ride Height" then slides should be deployed and retracted at Ride Height. We tried the new method on the way back home and it works fine but we're got a couple of small plywood shavings on the floor?? To make life easier on our batteries, we plug in to shore power before we extend slides, and we run the motor while we level. so using the new method, we shut off the motor to extend the slides and then restart the motor to deploy the leveling legs, another example of coaches being designed and built by folks who have not ever used one.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsonger47 View Post
Do what the manual says. Putting a slide out doesn't effect balance as much as it puts strain on the chassis, etc. Therefore, I dump air, level, put slide(s) out, and check against the level to make any fine adjustments that need to be made.
I totally agree also with the method described by our manual which is as mentioned above. It just doesn't make sense to be to do the slides first, dump air then level as herky jerking the extended slides mechanism/framing when leveling has to cause undue stress.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
On my Ventana, I am able to deploy and retract the leveling jacks with the ignition key in accessory mode. Starting the engine is not necessary.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCorners View Post
On my Ventana, I am able to deploy and retract the leveling jacks with the ignition key in accessory mode. Starting the engine is not necessary.
Same with my Bay Star. Just need the emergency brake on.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypair View Post
We went to the Newmar factory for the first time, in order to have some work done on our (new to us) coach. It certainly was an enlightening experience. The tour was great seeing how the assembly line like manufacturing on these large vehicles was done. We saw a full wall slide being installed & was amazed as to how quickly it was done. Also, we saw them sliding units from one location to another. My understanding was they had increased their production from three (3) units per day to seven (7) .........................

There were a lot of customers in the camping area with 2014 models for quality issues on their new units. Some of the chatter was about quality control perhaps being effected by increased production.

Overall the experience was great, we met a lot nice people & established some new friendships.
I suppose the complexities (bells & whistles) built into today's coaches could be a contributing factor in slowing down production, but when I watched my KSCA being built in April of 2003 the workers were completing 17 units per day, 5 days a week. The line was a mixture of gassers, 5th wheels, and DPs. My KSCA was almost FLAWLESS for 7 years and 98+ thousand miles. The pace of the assembly line was almost frantic back then, and I saw employees literally running to finish their tasks before sweeping up, and then pushing the coaches "sideways" on the air slides into the next bay.

Many times I've wished we still had that coach...
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCorners View Post
You're right, you can deploy and retract the leveling jacks with the key on accessory mode. We run the motor to let the alternator help with the electrical load on the chassis batteries when we're leveling. Try it once with the motor running and watch the volt meter on your instrument cluster, when the legs are lifting the coach, they pull a pretty good load. It was a tip given to us by one of the folks at the factory a few years ago.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #10

If you start my coach the air bags will be inflating so how can you level coach and deploy jacks while the engine is running. Since you have a King Aire it must have a superior system that allows you to do so. Maybe I am looking at this wrong but how can you dump air and level while pumping air into the airbags?
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
If you start my coach the air bags will be inflating so how can you level coach and deploy jacks while the engine is running. Since you have a King Aire it must have a superior system that allows you to do so. Maybe I am looking at this wrong but how can you dump air and level while pumping air into the airbags?
Our coach came with HWH computerized leveling and will dump the air bags and extend the leveling legs with the engine running. There is a loud alarm that sounds to tell you that the Leveling legs are down while the engine is running. I'm not sure how much wear and tear it saves on the chassis batteries to have the engine running while leveling, but since the factory suggested it, that's the way I do it.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsonger47 View Post
Do you have a FWS? I have been told by Mike at Newmar to put the FWS out first and then level. Smaller slides level first. Of course as you have heard they also recommend checking the reveal first. That part seems like a pain to me. I always pull in and put my slides out before I get out.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you plug in shore line, would not need engine running, if your in a campground or run Gen if not, than you know the motors are getting their full 12v's needed for them and no drain on batteries or loud alarm.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
My response, earlier in the list, was based on my feel for automotive engineering. I would only want to extend the rooms, regardless of the quantity or length, after getting leveled. The reason being is that if one puts out slides while not truly level, then the chassis is under some torque. Extending the slide with some torque on the "foundation" is not a good solution, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, on a diesel pusher, the chassis is heavy steel. And, yes, it will twist somewhat though the tag models may not be as severe (which would depend on some variables).

However, if parking on a good, level pad, knock yourself out and extend before leveling. But, in some spots like I've visited (Kaibab National Forest on the North Rim comes to mind) one of the rears was off the ground when I leveled. And, yes, the body was torqued prior to leveling. One of my bay doors was jammed shut from the pressure being applied to it.

So, would you build a house on a foundation that leaned one way or another or, better yet, had a subtle arc? I think not unless you're into sand castles.

Tags
newmar