Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

Commercial Member

Newmar Freightliner deal

Newmar is set to announce a new deal with Freightliner. I've written about it on my blog. Here's a link: http://www.leesrv.com/blog/

Lee Litchfield

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know of people that have a Freightliner for a chassis and have not been happy with service from them. Their service centers as of now have not liked to service motorhomes.
Hope Newmar isn't making a mistake.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

Commercial Member

I know that was a huge concern for Newmar. Freightliner worked hard to convince them that they had changed and would be extremely responsive to any problems, especially at the customer level. I think they were shocked when Newmar dropped them a couple of years ago. It was a wake-up call and they are glad they got another chance. FCCC was making proposals to Newmar, not the other way around. Lee
Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Also the FCCC will have CD and Cummins.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #5

I've been riding on a Freightliner Chassis for 10 years. I've had excellent service from them. I've never had a problem with any of their service centers and in fact, had them go out of their way to accomodate us as we were traveling.
ke4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #6

I have only one experience with Freightliner and it's on going. My coach is in Bridgeboro, NJ Freightliner service for 5 weeks now for an abs light.
Not one call from the shop and when I did check on it they had no answers and are very unprofessional. What they did say was you got to love working on RV's with a laugh. Needless to say I will never buy a Freightliner chassis.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #7

Choosing a chassis manufacturer is a long-term decision, not a short-term decision. I know the idiotic 2010 emission standards are a big issue, but it's not like Freightliner will supply pre-2010 chassis for years.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Litchfield View Post
Newmar is set to announce a new deal with Freightliner. I've written about it on my blog. Here's a link: http://www.leesrv.com/blog/

Lee Litchfield

LEE: Thanks for the heads up on the Newmar/FCCC deal. I appreciate the posts you make here. I went to your blog and now have another place to visit, but I think I'll try your suggestion about the RSS feed and let you come to me!

Happy New Year to you and your fine staff.
ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #9

The Freightliner chassis is lower cost than the Spartan. The only reason that the Essex and King Aire are dodging the bullet is because FL does not make that large a chassis. I feel Newmar is making an error on this just to reduce costs. This may well reduce their loyal customers instead. I would not buy a Newmar on a FL chassis.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The Freightliner chassis is lower cost than the Spartan. The only reason that the Essex and King Aire are dodging the bullet is because FL does not make that large a chassis. I feel Newmar is making an error on this just to reduce costs. This may well reduce their loyal customers instead. I would not buy a Newmar on a FL chassis.
Agree, one of the Newmar advantages has been the Spartan chassis IMHO.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #11

I agree I would not buy a Freightliner.. I saw a few coaches I liked better than the DS I purchased, But my #1 want was to have the comfort drive that was only on the Spartan. Do you think the CD would be offered on the FL? VACMAN
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Do you think the CD would be offered on the FL?
Yes, it will be on the FCCC chassis.

However, the engine has not been specified, although Cummins has been implied.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I agree!!!! The reason I purchased my Newmar coach new, was because of the Spartan chassis, Comfort Drive, and other quality components. The Newmar management team is making many poor business decisions; this being the straw that may "break the camel’s back".
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #14

We don't know what kind of price Spartan was planning on charging for their chassis. They may have priced themselves out of the business or they may not be interested in the MH business. I don't think we know the whole picture.