Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Newmar/Freightliner Toad charge relay??

I want to connect a ignition controlled charging line to my toad and was wondering if Newmar or Freightliner already provided a spare/dedicated relay for that purpose in one of the chassis electrical compartments.

I know that there are 2 spare wires that go from the trailer plug at the rear of the RV up to the dash area but don't want to run the circuit directly off the ignition switch without a relay in the circuit.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have never heard of a relay like that as standard equipment.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #3

Unless I have misunderstood your question, I think your coach should already be wired at the hitch with a 12v line controlled by the coach ignition. I also think it is the wire at the 11 o'clock position on the female (coach) plug. Check it out and let us know. The 12v line was on my former coach (Spartan) and is on the current one (Freightliner). I hook that wire to a toad charge which is then connected to the toad battery and the coach keeps the toad batter charged will towing.
Good luck.
Jim
Old 09-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go to BrakeBuddy and get their supplemental RV charge adapter. Works great and it's simple to install and it works!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Freightliner chassis is already wired with a 12 volt circuit that is controlled by the ignition system. I just included wiring to the toad with a 20 amp. circuit breaker in series with the hot lead and it works great.

The wiring is standard issue for a 7 pin round connector. Would have to look it up to see which pin is the 12 volt pin but someone mentioned it above.

burfurd

Tags
freightliner, newmar, toad