RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

Newmar Frustrated

As much as I like my 2015 Dutch Star, I found that the parts used and support is somewhat either substandard, non-supported, and just plain frustrating.

Examples:

Oasis Hydronic Heating Pumps: Just paid $275 for a new pump. Replaced a pump that is known to fail. No reason I can think of why the pump failed, but when the new one came, I could not believe I actually paid $275 for what seems to be a $50 part.

Paint: Is there anywhere I can buy touch-up paint? Ever try using Newgle? Useless! No help and I cannot believe I am he only one looking for paint.

ITC Lights: Known problem. ITC admits poor solder causing lights to fail, yet "Sorry... Not under warranty!" This is not normal wear and tear, and used for a fraction of their own specs, timewise.

Steering Wheel: Since new, driving straight the wheel is at 11 o'clock. Contacted Newmar and they said "No speak Freightliner!" Have you been to Freightliner? Hacks.... Also, they are not convenient and hard to schedule time. So, I live with it.

Engine support: None! "No Speak Cummins!" How about giving your support people a Cummins to Freightliner and error code list?

I have many more, but the point is, why doesn't Newmar lean on their vendors to support faulty designed products? Why does Newmar force their customers to Google solutions (like the paint)? Am I the only one that needs paint?

Again, I have a 2015 Dutch Star and outside of normal wear and tear, Newmar should be supporting their products by making parts available and at reasonable price. I understand warranties and that's fine, but cannot but feel frustrated by having to turn to these message boards for solutions.

Cummins, Allison, ITC, Dometic, Girard, etc... to me it is all NEWMAR!

stutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

Can't help you with the other stuff but I can help with the steering wheel centering. I had a similar problem and took it to Freightliner as they installed the Comfort Drive. A worker crawled under the front of the coach and removed a "U" joint, turned the steering shaft and re-attached the "U" joint. When I drove home, the wheel was centered better but not perfect so, when I got home I did the same thing and now the wheel is perfectly centered. I'm guessing the whole project took me 1 hour and most of that was studying the layout and having to crawl out from under the coach then back under. If you have 1 person who can sit in the drivers seat and turn and hold the wheel to a centered position once the "U" joint has been removed, the project will go a lot faster.

ps. Just out of curiosity did you ask Newmar for the paint codes for your coach?

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutch View Post

Oasis Hydronic Heating Pumps: Just paid $275 for a new pump. Replaced a pump that is known to fail. No reason I can think of why the pump failed, but when the new one came, I could not believe I actually paid $275 for what seems to be a $50 part.

Paint: Is there anywhere I can buy touch-up paint? Ever try using Newgle? Useless! No help and I cannot believe I am he only one looking for paint.

ITC Lights: Known problem. ITC admits poor solder causing lights to fail, yet "Sorry... Not under warranty!" This is not normal wear and tear, and used for a fraction of their own specs, timewise.
I agree the Oasis pump is expensive but I have only had one failure so I am hoping that problem is fixed.

Call Newmar parts dept. and they will arrange for a set of touch-up paints to be shipped to you for about $25.

Newmar replaced all my ITC lights as my originals came from that bad batch in late 2014. There are alternatives for replacing them, such as these.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar customer service and my dealer have provided excellent support since the day I bought my coach. Have you contacted the the Dutch Star customer service rep?

When my engine threw a code, I called the Freightliner support number and they told me what may have caused it and exactly what I should do. Also, Cummins has an app for your phone that will give you the meaning of the fault codes.

As far as the Oasis pump, my summer loop pump failed but fortunately it was under warranty. There were some problems with some versions of the pumps but the Oasis hydronic unit is a very good system designed for many years of use.

Newmar included touch up paint with my coach in one of the plastic bags. If you didn't get it with the coach try calling Newmar parts department, I am sure they can help.

There is a paper that explains comfort drive written by an engineer that designed it linked as a sticky to the top of this forum. This explains getting the steering wheel alignment right and not causing issues with comfort drive. The wheel alignment center must be aligned with the comfort drive center.

I highly recommend you go to Camp Freightliner. You will learn a lot about the engine, transmission and chassis. Freightliner will provide a lot of information including the fault codes for Cummins.

There is so much to learn about owning a diesel pusher motorhome, but the information is all out there.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Cummins, Allison, ITC, Dometic, Girard, etc... to me it is all NEWMAR!
Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If Newmar built the chassis, it would, but they buy the rolling chassis, already built, from Freightliner or Spartan. As for vendor parts, Newmar clearly states that warranties for them go through the vendor. I don't know of any RV manufacturer that provides direct warranty support for third-party vendor items.

We had a 2014 Ventana LE on a Freightliner chassis prior to the current coach. For the few minor issues we experienced, we received excellent support from FL...including on engine issues. And, the one time we went directly to Cummins on an engine issue, they bent over backwards to help us. We understood that chassis-related issues went through the chassis and engine manufacturer.

Finally, Newmar customer service has always been willing to help us find the right source to get issues resolved. They have never just left us dangling. Frequently, how you approach an issue determines the outcome.

TJ
Old 05-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #6

As far as your steering wheel not being centered. Have you ever had your coach in for an alignment? After taking delivery of mine (bought new from dealer stock) I took it to a big truck frame shop for a front end alignment only. The alignment was good but they straightened my wheel perfectly. Cost was just under $200.00.

I suspect you just haven't found the right FL shop to do business with. I use a large one up in central Illinois who also have Cummins certified mechanics on staff and they are great.

I do have a little heartburn with the Whirlpool washer. It is junk and will have to be replaced soon. Newmar CS has extended some "good will" factory repairs for some items but they are not biting on replacing the washer. I'm not sure what Newmar's relationship is with Whirlpool but Whirlpool certainly provided them with some defective washers in 2017.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #7

Is this your first motor home?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #8

Respectfully, a rant like that doesn't leave the impression that you've been treated unfairly, it sounds more like the complaints that are heard from newbies. You don't want to take your coach to FL for chassis maintenance or warranty? That's on you.

I have always found Newmar parts support to be top notch. I'm sure there are other distributors of hydronic pumps; my experience comparison shopping indicates Newmar's prices are in line with other sources.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I'm not sure what Newmar's relationship is with Whirlpool but Whirlpool certainly provided them with some defective washers in 2017.
Since it appears that Newmar is switching to Splendide in the new models, I doubt it is very good. Whirlpool is large enough that they probably don't care about Newmar.

I had terrible experiences with the Whirlpool microwave, washer, customer support and service. A lifelong Whirlpool customer, I will never again buy one of their products. Newmar and our dealer were great though the whole fiasco.

It's easier to get tariffs on imports than it is to make a quality product.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have ordered two Dutch Stars and found Newmar to be top notch for warranty items. But, when I could I ordered parts from other sources as they were usually cheaper.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"stutch".....I understand your frustration, but many of your issues have simple resolutions. Simply pick up the phone and call Newmar parts with your coach number. They'll ship you the four colors of paint you need. If you get an engine code, it's on your dash. Again, simply call Freightliner and they'll translate the code from a Freightliner code to the Cummins code. I've done this a couple of times.

This is not a Honda Civic where everything is made and warrantied by Honda. Think of it more like your house, which your coach is. If you by a new house, is the builder warrantying the washer/dryer, refrigerator, water heater, air conditioning....no. Those are all items bought from individual companies and have their own warranties.

I dislike Freightliner too, but they're a truck company, that sells motor home chassis'. I'm guessing their workload is 95% truck repair, so motor homes get pushed to the side. This doesn't exist everywhere and I wish I lived near a large Freightliner dealer that treated RVers well, but I don't. My dealer has a bunch of mental midgets. I ONLY go there for warranty work and have learned to demand things be repaired in a timely manner.

It sounds like you're trying to do everything online. Pick up the phone and talk to people, you'd be surprised at how much farther you get with a polite conversation....even free parts!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Ever try using Newgle? Useless!
Regardless of what you might think of his other comments, this one is spot on. Newgle is totally useless. Now, Winnebago, they really know how to document things.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Regardless of what you might think of his other comments, this one is spot on. Newgle is totally useless. Now, Winnebago, they really know how to document things.
I have to agree that Newgle is pretty useless; at least in its present state of development. Hopefully, Newmar is working on a better version.

That said, Newgle is not the portal to ordering Newmar parts...like touch-up paint. That's Com_Net2 and it has worked very well for me once I figured out how to navigate the "catalog."

TJ
Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I have to agree that Newgle is pretty useless; at least in its present state of development. Hopefully, Newmar is working on a better version.

That said, Newgle is not the portal to ordering Newmar parts...like touch-up paint. That's Com_Net2 and it has worked very well for me once I figured out how to navigate the "catalog."

TJ
And, when I couldn't find a part on com-net2, I emailed Newmar parts department and they gave me a part number that I could order online.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, rust