Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Newmar full slide: failure waiting to happen?

I'm needing an idea of the percentage of owners who've had slide problems. If it's a fraction of owners, and the fixes are permanent, that's not a problem to me. My 36' 5ver has 3 slides and a crank that'll put them in manually. It's not a big deal if there's an electrical problem.

A full slide looks like a different category to small slides. Is this an issue that's been addressed by Tiffin -- or is it a non-issue. My search has come to a stop -- and need to go forward. THanks!!
Leland0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

This forum, or any forum for that matter, is probably NOT a good place to get an idea of percentages of slide failures. First, only a small fraction of owners use this forum, and second the majority of folks that come here have a problem they are trying to fix and/or learn about. It is my belief that the majority of motorhome owners do not visit a forum regularly.

It is rare, though not unheard of, for a person to own a motorhome, device, gizmo, whatever, that will actively go out and brag about their non-problems.

I wish there WAS a place to get accurate percentages, but that info is probably not available except from the manufacturer and they are not likely to release such figures to the public.

Any conclusions drawn from responses from a forum will be highly skewed based on what I have said above.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
If your going to become interested in a Newmar these links will have answers to some of your questions.
It will have links to different locations on forum for info you seek.
Good luck in your hunt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Leland0311,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. You ask if Tiffin has addressed a problem. This is not the correct forum to receive Tiffin information. iRV2 has a forum For Tiffin products.

As to Newmar's full wall slide you are correct on one point. The FWS weighs a little over 2K lbs. Moving that (including the climb to raise the flat floor) much weight up and in without power, would be a challenge.

As to failures, some owners have had difficulty with the slide lining up with the box opening it goes into when retracted. However, understanding the dynamics of the FWS and the chassis it rests on allows an owner to open and close the slide without difficulty. Regardless of the Brand, having a FWS does require the owner to understand its' operation, weight shifting and coach leveling a bit more than an owner not having a FWS.

FWS are here to stay. An owner needs to understand (understanding is very important) and obey the factory documented process for extension and retraction.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
From another post you have I notice interest in a smaller coach with FWS, while its FWS will be smaller than the bigger coach's the same procedures would apply to your interested coach only less of a problem for you.
You have a good dealer to refer to another plus.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

Tiffin does not make a coach with a full wall slide.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
As long as you deploy and retract the FWS while aired up and NOT on the jacks, all will be good. Newmar's procedure is to check the "reveal" around the edge of the slide first, then if all looks even, deploy the slide before leveling.

One then must retract the FWS after raising the jacks, starting the engine and airing up. The last being the key to staying out of trouble. I learned this the hard way and got my FWS stuck in the out position once. Since I have religiously aired up before retracting the slide, I've had no issues, even on the most unevenness of terrain.

I believe for 2016, the new STAR foundation should help this issue. Also on the DS and above Newmar is now using the new HWH slides. I assume they made both of these changes to reduce flex and FWS extension and retraction. Having a 2015, I can't speak to the reality of it though. But even with my 2015, I'm confident that I won't have any FWS extension/retraction issues as long as I follow the recommended procedure.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

I can't defend the Newmar FWS just yet as our DS is pretty new. I will say we chose Newmar over other mfg's because of their robust slide mechanisms. No coach builder gives up more basement room under a FWS than Newmar. While we would like more basement room it would likely be at the expense of reliability.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

This is a question I wouldn’t have pay much attention to last week, but since then I had a minor popping sound become a $900 repair. Mine was the small bedroom slide that needed inspected. Newmar tech help was quick to recommend a new motor which it turns out to be. I then inspected the other 3 slides to see no excessive wear or unusual noise. Sure hope to have no other repairs this year. Good luck with your study.
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Leland......"GaryKD" really hit the nail on the head. A good understanding of how it works will go a long way to successful use. Another aspect of the Newmar FWS is that they don't hide the slide with moldings. If you look at most slides they have a piece of molding, usually about 2"-3" that covers the outside of the slide so that when it's closed you really can't see how the slide has seated. This allows others to use big gaps between the slide and the slide opening and then cover those gaps with molding.

Newmar makes a flush slide and doesn't use a molding, so the gaps have to be fairly small or it will look funny. This doesn't give much room for error. Even though this can make for some issues, it definitely makes the coach look nicer by making the side walls flat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree Don. And this is one hulking mechanism that has to become a full add on room at the push of a button!! All things considered and as many slides as they have made over the years I would say they have a good handle on it....however with that being said....I am one who has had a problem with the slide, roller underneath popped out. However it is under warranty and we will see after the fix!
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #12

Quick question on newmarpusher's post: In reading the Owner's Guide to the 2011 Essex on page 3-9, it says that the leveling & stabilizing procedure should be complete before extending the slides and that the engine must be off (ignition switch in ACC position). I had assumed this meant that the jacks would be down to complete the leveling process. I may be interpreting the instructions incorrectly and want to be sure I don't screw things up, so thanks in advance for any feedback.
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilnoff View Post
Quick question on newmarpusher's post: In reading the Owner's Guide to the 2011 Essex on page 3-9, it says that the leveling & stabilizing procedure should be complete before extending the slides and that the engine must be off (ignition switch in ACC position). I had assumed this meant that the jacks would be down to complete the leveling process. I may be interpreting the instructions incorrectly and want to be sure I don't screw things up, so thanks in advance for any feedback.

Newmar changed the procedure for FWSs only in the past year. For FWSs, they recommend checking the reveal, and if OK, deploy the FWS while aired up, before leveling. Then reverse the procedure - retract jacks, air up, retract FWS.

I have found this to be a reliable way to not have the FWS bind in or out.

The smaller slides don't seem to matter in my experience - level first or deploy first - both work.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:47 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Where did you find the information on Newmar changing the procedure for FWSs in the past year? I just looked in a 2016 Ventana operating guide and didn't find any change from either 2014 or 2015. If there is something out there, I'd sure like to get a look at it.

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Newmar changed the procedure for FWSs only in the past year. For FWSs, they recommend checking the reveal, and if OK, deploy the FWS while aired up, before leveling. Then reverse the procedure - retract jacks, air up, retract FWS.

I have found this to be a reliable way to not have the FWS bind in or out.

The smaller slides don't seem to matter in my experience - level first or deploy first - both work.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide